Stocking 6.8 Gallon Question 

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey!

My lucky betta Floyd upgraded from a cup, to a 3.7 gallon, to a 6.8 gallon in less than a month .

Just wondering what I could potentially add to the tank with him.

Attachments

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Shrimps or snails.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crispii said:
Shrimps or snails.
Awesome! I really like nerites and blue shrimp, but probably will wait awhile on the shrimp since I know they can be sensitive.

The thing with the nerite is I don’t have any algae in my tank. Is there anything I could feed him supplementally?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Shrimps are hit-or-miss with bettas. Some bettas will eat shrimps, and some don't.

For feeding nerite snails, you can feed them algae wafers or blanched vegetables such as blanched zucchini.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Great thank you! I’ll probably test a couple of ghost shrimp with my betta before I spend the money on the blues.

BaerBonesBarber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
W/ nerite snails, just be prepared to have lots of white spots on everything that are super hard to get off..(infertile eggs) You may get lucky and not get that many or you will be taking out your snail in a couple weeks and trying your best to clean up the mess.

Shrimp will last a while w/ plenty of java moss or other cover but will eventually molt and probably be betta food at some point. I think amano shrimp are a good tank mate as far as shrimp goes with a Betta.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you can feed it lots of things. Get a spoon, spear a peace of vegetale on the handle and leave it for several hours.
I have done cucumber, zuccini, spinich, any letuce other then iceburg. you could try to sink a slice of canned carrot. That could get messy, make sure you do this the day before a gravel vacuum.
you could also add a peice of cuttle bone, but this should not be considered as food really.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BaerBonesBarber said:
W/ nerite snails, just be prepared to have lots of white spots on everything that are super hard to get off..(infertile eggs) You may get lucky and not get that many or you will be taking out your snail in a couple weeks and trying your best to clean up the mess.

Shrimp will last a while w/ plenty of java moss or other cover but will eventually molt and probably be betta food at some point. I think amano shrimp are a good tank mate as far as shrimp goes with a Betta.
I do plan on having a jungle of a tank by the time I get the shrimp so I’m kinda hoping my betta will leave them alone, I like the think he’s a sweet lil fella

Also, is it possible I could avoid the eggs if I luck out and get a male nerite? I’m thinking of ordering a red racer from aquatic arts.

Noroomforshoe said:
Yes you can feed it lots of things. Get a spoon, spear a peace of vegetale on the handle and leave it for several hours.
I have done cucumber, zuccini, spinich, any letuce other then iceburg. you could try to sink a slice of canned carrot. That could get messy, make sure you do this the day before a gravel vacuum.
you could also add a peice of cuttle bone, but this should not be considered as food really.
Thank you! Good to know!

Eric S.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FloydtheBetta said:
Hey!

My lucky betta Floyd upgraded from a cup, to a 3.7 gallon, to a 6.8 gallon in less than a month .

Just wondering what I could potentially add to the tank with him.
I'm in the same boat with continual upgrades to my bettas tanks haha. Just like the others, I'd say snails and shrimp potentially. I have a yellow rabbit snail and love the unique appearance (Though I've heard they eat more types of plants).
Brightly colored shrimp are more likely to be targeted than say, ghosts, but they will be better either way with more plant cover. (Which I can see you have :) )

BaerBonesBarber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FloydtheBetta said:
Also, is it possible I could avoid the eggs if I luck out and get a male nerite? I’m thinking of ordering a red racer from aquatic arts.
I would get a small piece of mopani wood since thats where they will lay the most eggs.. or other higher tannin wood and then you can take it out easy to clean if that happens. Yes if you get a male you will be lucky, however its super hard to sex.. there is a flap by the eye on a male and no flap on a female, but its really hard to see. Easier way is if you see the eggs you know you have a female and you could try again. I would get one at a time though if you try this method obviously.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Eric S. said:
I'm in the same boat with continual upgrades to my bettas tanks haha. Just like the others, I'd say snails and shrimp potentially. I have a yellow rabbit snail and love the unique appearance (Though I've heard they eat more types of plants).
Brightly colored shrimp are more likely to be targeted than say, ghosts, but they will be better either way with more plant cover. (Which I can see you have )
This whole aquarium business is so addicting! If I had a house I knew I would be living in for more than a couple years I would have so many tanks!

BaerBonesBarber said:
I would get a small piece of mopani wood since thats where they will lay the most eggs.. or other higher tannin wood and then you can take it out easy to clean if that happens. Yes if you get a male you will be lucky, however its super hard to sex.. there is a flap by the eye on a male and no flap on a female, but its really hard to see. Easier way is if you see the eggs you know you have a female and you could try again. I would get one at a time though if you try this method obviously.
Thanks that’s helpful! How many nerites do you think I could get away with in a 6.8?

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just one nerite for your tank I think.

BaerBonesBarber

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FloydtheBetta said:
This whole aquarium business is so addicting! If I had a house I knew I would be living in for more than a couple years I would have so many tanks!

Thanks that’s helpful! How many nerites do you think I could get away with in a 6.8?
They poop alot. just a heads up also. I would go with one. Check out some of the horned variety they are pretty cool too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom