5 Gallon Tank Stocking 5gal with Inverts for my Science project

Chewbacca773

As some of you know, I am doing my science project on aquariums. You can read about it here
Help me come up with aquarium/fish related science fair ideas...pls | Freshwater Aquarium Discussion Forum | 507464

the idea that got approved was about how different filters cycle a tank (sponge, HOB, internal). Originally, I was planning to dose ammonia to stimulate life in the tanks, but my teacher asked if I could stock it with some invert (no fish allowed) instead. I was thinking like crayfish or something. Any Ideas?

BigManAquatics

Snails and/or shrimp perhaps.

Chewbacca773

Snails and/or shrimp perhaps.
would they produce significant ammonia to cycle the tank? I was actually looking forward to doing crayfish, would those work?

BigManAquatics

would they produce significant ammonia to cycle the tank? I was actually looking forward to doing crayfish, would those work?
They might. Snails do poop a lot. Shrimp probably wouldn't do so much though. So crayfish or snails would be better.

Chewbacca773

They might. Snails do poop a lot. Shrimp probably wouldn't do so much though. So crayfish or snails would be better.
gotcha and Imma go with fake plants because the real ones might mess with ammonia if they decompose. Maybe not fake plants, but not real plants for cover

ProudPapa

Snails will likely be your best option. Shrimp have a low bio-load, and also don't do well in new tanks. They need biofilm to graze on, and that takes time to develop.

Chewbacca773

Snails will likely be your best option. Shrimp have a low bio-load, and also don't do well in new tanks. They need biofilm to graze on, and that takes time to develop.
I'm gonna put some cholla wood in the tank for the snail to graze off. Is that gonna be fine?

ProudPapa

I'm gonna put some cholla wood in the tank for the snail to graze off. Is that gonna be fine?

I assume it will be fine, but you might need to feed them also. Someone with more experience keeping snails might be able to give a better answer.

I know shrimp don't do well in new tanks, but as far as I know that doesn't apply to snails.

Chewbacca773

I assume it will be fine, but you might need to feed them also. Someone with more experience keeping snails might be able to give a better answer.

I know shrimp don't do well in new tanks, but as far as I know that doesn't apply to snails.
I will be manually feeding them a bit (feeding dish)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jpaek7
Replies
Views
BHK3
Replies
Views
Aerose
Replies
Views