Stocking 55 gallon

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
Got a cycled 55 gallon that I'm adding some Driftwood to and planting currently. Its a family tank so there are some fish that I simply can't get rid of (didn't understand the hobby too well when getting them although these fish do alright together)

- 1 medium sized koI angel fish
- 1 male swordtail hifin lyretail (this COULD be negotiated if needed)
- 1 albino rainbow shark
- 7 Corys

Can someone help me with some ideas on how to stock this tank to be mostly peaceful. I know I could get more angels and go with a school of 5 but honestly, I'm not a huge fan of them.

I did like the idea of a trio of pearl gouramis but I don't know what other schooling fish can go with them then.

I like rummy nose tetras (worried about how sensitive they are with the angelfish and rainbow shark potentially being semI aggressive) and cardinals are nice too (worried angels might try to eat if they're too small).

Appreciate any suggestions
 

EmbersToAshes

Active Member
Member
Messages
329
Reaction score
157
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post a picture of the tank or describe how it is set up? Pearl gouramis are great and get along with most fish although the males are a little more territorial than females. I would suggest maybe some more live bearers like sword tails, Mollies, platies, and guppies. I would not get the rummynose tetras with those particular fish and would avoid other small, slender tetras like neons and such so they don't get eaten when the rainbow and angel get bigger.
Roseline sharks and glass catfish would also be interesting additions if you want schooling fish that are larger than tetras.
 

NaturalGothic

Active Member
Member
Messages
136
Reaction score
55
Rainbow fish might be an option for you. They can grow to be about 6 inches and are super peaceful. They tend to be top and mid-tank swimmers. My albino rainbow shark is actually really chill and so is my angelfish so, personally, I wouldn’t worry about aggression too much.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
EmbersToAshes said:
Can you post a picture of the tank or describe how it is set up? Pearl gouramis are great and get along with most fish although the males are a little more territorial than females. I would suggest maybe some more live bearers like sword tails, Mollies, platies, and guppies. I would not get the rummynose tetras with those particular fish and would avoid other small, slender tetras like neons and such so they don't get eaten when the rainbow and angel get bigger.
Roseline sharks and glass catfish would also be interesting additions if you want schooling fish that are larger than tetras.
I'll post one in the morning. It's not complete yet by If you can advise ways to set it up I'd love the advice. New to the hobby so I know very little.

Also so far I like both ideas, pearl gouramis and some live bearers or some boesmanI also sounds nice, although they're pretty expensive

NaturalGothic said:
Rainbow fish might be an option for you. They can grow to be about 6 inches and are super peaceful. They tend to be top and mid-tank swimmers. My albino rainbow shark is actually really chill and so is my angelfish so, personally, I wouldn’t worry about aggression too much.
From what I've heard, rainbow sharks don't mind anything that stays out it's cave and my angelfish shouldn't be big enough to eat rummys or cardinals yet. But again, I'm not sure lol
 

NaturalGothic

Active Member
Member
Messages
136
Reaction score
55
Arrow1oo said:
I'll post one in the morning. It's not complete yet by If you can advise ways to set it up I'd love the advice. New to the hobby so I know very little.

Also so far I like both ideas, pearl gouramis and some live bearers or some boesmanI also sounds nice, although they're pretty expensive
Arrow1oo said:
From what I've heard, rainbow sharks don't mind anything that stays out it's cave and my angelfish shouldn't be big enough to eat rummys or cardinals yet. But again, I'm not sure lol
My rainbow shark shares a 29 gallon grow out thank with my 9 cichlids and the rock structure seems to keep them all happy. He defiantly has “his spot” but he rarely gets cranky. Don’t worry I’m new to this too lol I’ve only been at it for 3 months.
And I totally get the $$$ being a factor. I’ve spent a lot on my fish (7-13$ per fish). Not including tank, meds, food, decor, and filtration. Plus my sanity just went *poof* and ran away lol.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
Can I put cardinal tetras with pearl gouramis, the angelfish and rainbow shark

It's a shame I really like rummy nose and I heard they could be okay with the angel fish

Have a 55 gallon I'm planning on decorating and planting soon.

I have :
1 angelfish medium size
1 swordtail male
1 albino rainbow shark

Would a school of 10-15 rummys be fine with these fish, or would cardinals be a better choice.

I can keep the temperature at 80 and pH is 7.6 rn, when I add driftwood it should lower a little which is good.

My main concern if they would be stressed by the other fish
 

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,892
Reaction score
2,336
Location
Leeds, Yorkshire, England.
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience if the Angel hunts them they will be stressed for sure.

If the Angel is small and does not bother them they will probably be OK and MIGHT be OK for life.

But you are talking about fish not robots and behaviour cannot be predicted with certainty.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
Redshark1 said:
In my experience if the Angel hunts them they will be stressed for sure.

If the Angel is small and does not bother them they will probably be OK and MIGHT be OK for life.

But you are talking about fish not robots and behaviour cannot be predicted with certainty.
Ah darn, for a school of 10 it's gonna be kind of expensive so I don't want my angel to just eat them although he shouldn't be big enough to do so
 

NaturalGothic

Active Member
Member
Messages
136
Reaction score
55
Arrow1oo said:
Can I put cardinal tetras with pearl gouramis, the angelfish and rainbow shark

It's a shame I really like rummy nose and I heard they could be okay with the angel fish
You should be able to but don’t get them if they’re smaller than the Angelfish’s mouth. There’s a small chance it may try to eat them. However, if they’re bigger than it’s mouth, they’ll be fine.
 

EmbersToAshes

Active Member
Member
Messages
329
Reaction score
157
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cardinals and rummynose are ok with small angles and rainbows but it may be a problem when they reach adult size. Some people can do it with no issues, depends on the fish
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
So I'm setting up a 55 gallon (4' wide)
For my room and wanted some help on a stocking I had in mind

I wanted to get:
6 boesemanI rainbows (3m3f)
10-15 rummy nose tetras
7-10 Cory's
1 albino rainbow (moving him from another tank I have to this one)


Would this work or is this overstocked

If it's not overstocked could I also rehome an angelfish I have into here or should I not
 

Lebeeze

Active Member
Member
Messages
428
Reaction score
239
Location
Ontario Canada
Experience
5 years
Some will probably disagree with me, but I dont see that being overstocked at all. I would put the angel in too.

I'm not familiar with rainbow sharks but if they are anything like red tailed sharks they may get aggressive with the cory. But maybe the tank is big enough so that won't be an issue.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
Lebeeze said:
Some will probably disagree with me, but I dont see that being overstocked at all. I would put the angel in too.

I'm not familiar with rainbow sharks but if they are anything like red tailed sharks they may get aggressive with the cory. But maybe the tank is big enough so that won't be an issue.
Appreciate it, I'll wait for some other opinions but thanks
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you could add a few more Rainbows, a bunch more Corys (depending on the type and filtration) and some more Rummy Nose (again, depends on filtration). I wouldnt add an Angel, they want their water a little warmer AND they can get aggressive. Same with a Rainbow Shark. Very territorial, can be aggressive. They are a bottom dwelling fish and probably shouldnt be kept with Corys.

If it were my tank and I wanted this for stock, Id probably do:

10 Bosemani
15+ Rummy Nose
15+ Cory

Id call that stocked and forget the Shark & Angel. That's a nice community tank that shouldnt have any issues.
 

bmuckluck

Active Member
Member
Messages
213
Reaction score
155
IMO I think that stocking is fine & including the angelfish, with proper filtration and water changes I dont think you'd have any issues at all

EDIT: my angelfish isn't aggressive at all but I got him when he was tiny and raised him in a community tank; so I guess it depends on the individual!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
bmuckluck said:
IMO I think that stocking is fine & including the angelfish, with proper filtration and water changes I dont think you'd have any issues at all

EDIT: my angelfish isn't aggressive at all but I got him when he was tiny and raised him in a community tank; so I guess it depends on the individual!
I think I'll take the chance and monitor it for a few, thanks I appreciate the help everyone.

DuaneV said:
I think you could add a few more Rainbows, a bunch more Corys (depending on the type and filtration) and some more Rummy Nose (again, depends on filtration). I wouldnt add an Angel, they want their water a little warmer AND they can get aggressive. Same with a Rainbow Shark. Very territorial, can be aggressive. They are a bottom dwelling fish and probably shouldnt be kept with Corys.

If it were my tank and I wanted this for stock, Id probably do:

10 Bosemani
15+ Rummy Nose
15+ Cory

Id call that stocked and forget the Shark & Angel. that's a nice community tank that shouldnt have any issues.
Ill consider this too
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,192
Reaction score
3,639
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
I have more fish than that in my 40 gallon breeder, so you can probably guess whether or not I think you're overstocked.
 

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
1,891
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
Definitely not overstocked and agreed with DuaneV 's stocking list. If you try to add the Angel add him last. Let the other fish settle in for a bit so the Angel is a newcomer to their tank instead of the rest of the fish being newcomers to HIS tank. You could even add a smaller pleco like a Bushy Nose or Rubber Lip.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
Cool, will try. Assuming I keep the angel and rainbow shark, how would I go about aquascaping.

I know boesemani's need open swimming space but I was planning to keep some tall jungle Val's to help break line of sights for bottom dwelling fish as well as top level fish.

Also keeping the bottom fairly planted so the rainbow shark can stay down in the bottom in peace

Anyone have any good suggestions?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Active Member
Member
Messages
466
Reaction score
106
Me again lol, I'm considering switching the rainbow shark for a different bottom dweller. Looking at Rams since they'd do fine with rainbows/rummy nose.

Can someone give me some advice as to which Rams would best suit a tank with boesemanI and rummy nose?

Looking at Bolivian or German blue
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
156
Guests online
2,541
Total visitors
2,697

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom