Stocking 55 Gallon Aquarium

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by Fishygirl1219, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Fishygirl1219Valued MemberMember

Okay so.... I'm trying to get everything together while my tank cycles.... So my question is I have my wonderful 55gal long tank 2b36945ef426901e55ecd4a21155023d.jpg

My question is what can I put in here? To make it full and lively??? My plan Is to get corals and things like that when I get it up and going good! So someone throw me some suggestions and if you have a website you use please let me know I have a local guy but I don't know if he can specifically order me something or not......

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Do you know what kind of corals you want, do you have any idea what kind of fish you might want to get?

3. Fishygirl1219Valued MemberMember

Honestly no I have no idea on the corals yet..... Fish I know I would like a clown fish and blue tang...He likes them he can see them...I care nothing about them

4. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Your tank is to small for any type of tang :(

5. Fishygirl1219Valued MemberMember

Ahhhhh that sucks so bad

6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I know, but at least you found out before you got it and it grew to be anywhere from 8 to 12 inches and you were like......"ugh, HELP!" :)

7. Fishygirl1219Valued MemberMember

Okay so my intentions are to have 2 clownfish or 1 whatever everyone thinks.... I want some sort of starfish,corals hard soft whatever I would like to have an anenome?(wrong),my CUC to be hermits and snails? I don't really want snails but everything I've read it says I need them...and I want shrimp and I REALLY want a Mandarin goby ...and any other fish that anyone sees fit to go in there .....

8. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

You can easily have 2 clownfish! You might want to wait on the anenome though, for at least 6 months, everything I've read says 6 months to a year for them. The snails aren't really that bad, they don't reproduce like crazy like some freshwater ones do and they are kind of neat (I've never been very fond of snails, until I got my sw tank. Zoanthids are a fairly easy beginner coral, buttom polyps, some mushrooms, they are all forgiving on lighting as well. (I still haven't figured my lighting out). There are lots of fish that could go in there...chromis, firefish, cardinal fish, lots really.

I have a mandarin, the only thing I can recommend with them because they are known to starve to death because most will only eat copepods, is this...get one that eats frozen food from the store. I mean, ask to see them feed it and that it takes the food readily. I also breed pods in a 10 gal tank for mine on top of the frozen foods that he will eat....I think I actually saw him eating a bit of a pellet the other day as well, but that is really rare.

9. Fishygirl1219Valued MemberMember

Okay I'll wait in the anenome for sure I don't want it unhappy ...... Where can you buy frags at a good price? My local is cheapish but if it's cheaper online I'll try that .......I'm going to have to get a goby I want one so bad lol there so pretty ....I think at my local there like 30$ or so is that a good price? Does anyone buy fish online??? Where at

10. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I found a store that was about an hour away that was decently priced and had good stock....they keep a couple of reef tanks in their own home. I got a deal where I bought 2 fish, the third one was free... I think the mandarin was around 30 and the clowns were 20, I ended up with a free clown! I got my frag for like 15 dollars I think and the feather duster was also around the same price...it's all about shopping around and finding a place that sells good stuff at a decent price!

11. Fishygirl1219Valued MemberMember

His clowns are like 15ish just for the regular kind....his frags are different prices depends on what u want..... I would love to find an online place also because he runs out of fish very quickly since he's the only one around with salt water that I know of.......how do you attach corals?

12. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

You can put the frag on your live rock (glue it) or in your live rock if it is the peg type of holder, you can also take the coral off of the frag holder and clue it directly to your live rock. I've not done online yet.

13. justanotherfishpersonNew MemberMember

I would try adding a small school of a chromis species, they tend to look nice in reefs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice