Stocking 50 Gallon

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
First things first: How hard or soft is your water? I really think that should set the course for any tank. Right now, you have a mix of hard and soft water fish, so hopefully your water is somewhere in the middle or else you're going to have to do some chemical gymnastics.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
What are the dimensions of each tank?

Yes, the tank is overstocked, but there are also issues with incompatible species, outside of overstocking. Would you be willing to rehome some fish?

As long as the water is hard enough for the mollies, I wouldn't worry about the other fish. The soft water fish can adapt and thrive in hard water.

OP
K

Kstambaugh11

Yeah, I was thinking about having a live bearer tank and moving my rosy barbs in the 30. Could I add 3 or 4 german rams in the 30 also after the addition?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Male dwarf gouramis will fight and should not be kept together. Females are a dull silverish and are uncommon, so you likely have males. I'd rehome one of them.

I'd also rehome the pictus cats - they need a bigger tank than your 50 gal and a bigger group.

German blue rams need warmer water than the swordtails, skirt tetras, and rosy barbs.

I'd leave the swordtails, mollies, skirt tetra, and rosy barbs in the 50 gal. You can move the DG to the 30 gal along with both German rams. You could do a harem of German rams in the 30 gal tank, 1 male and 2-3 females. You'd also have room to add a temperature compatible schooling species, like cardinals, lemon tetra, gold tetra, etc.

OP
K

Kstambaugh11

Cool thanks! And as far as dimensions, I can't find my tape measure, but I remember both sides being about 12 inches wide, the 50 gallon is 48 inches long

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Yeah, then I'd rehome the pictus - they would do better in a wider tank, they're so active!

New Threads