Stocking 5 gal community

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by CoryAdorer, Dec 29, 2012.

1. C

CoryAdorer New Member Member

Hi All :)

Thinking of starting a new 5 gallon community tank (I know about cycling and preparation) and am getting a million different answers regarding stocking it. In your opinions what are the best fish for a community in a 5 gal, fishy and invert (and especially at least one inhabitant to help with algae). If you could even give me a sample stocking plan, or what stock works for you, that would be great. I appreciate your help! Thanks.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm afraid a 5 isn't quite big enough for a community tank, in that you just can't put that many different species in it. A 5 is better suited for a species tank.

A nerite snail would be a good choice for an algae eater.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

4. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking of doing a 5 gallon snail tank. Just a thought.

5. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

I've kept a betta, a pair of African Dwarf Frogs, a trio of Sparkling Gouramis, and a single dwarf puffer in 5 gallon tanks, obviously not all at the same time. I've had Celestial Pearl Danios in a 4g Fluval Chi, but preferred them in the rectangular 5g. My son's elephant ear betta now lives in the Chi.

6. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

in a 5gal there are not alot of options as mentioned.

3-6 endlers
    1 Nerite snail if needed
    shrimp group of your choice.

You could replace the endlers with a couple single male guppies if you wanted to but a trio (2m 1f) would probably get a bit tight. Possible yes but tight.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Ah, thanks guys. My terminology needs to catch up - by community I meant an invert and 2,3, or 4 (depending on species size) small single species. Now I know what I'm looking for is a "species" as opposed to "community" stocking idea. Definitely going to get the snail. Maybe a couple sparkling gouramis... Would adding a shrimp to 2 sparkling gouramis and a snail be pushing it too far?

Most of the lfs workers in my area seem to all have the same opinion - and that seems to be that pushing the bio load over max is ok as long as you do frequent testing and water changes and adjustments. Having happy and healthy fish is more important to me than the numbers in my tanks. At one point when I first started keeping fish I ended up with 5, yup 5, platys and 3 corys in the same 5 gallon tank. I had one bully platy girl going after 2 others and the lfs woman told me to add at least 2 more platy females and change the decore around to make her less territorial. Of course it didn't work. Thankfully there is a fish community club sorta close to my area that I may join if I can make it to meetings regularly.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  8. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

Small shrimp like cherries have a smaller bioload than larger ones like ghosts. And I've never seen a nerite bigger than a marble, not like apple or mystery snails.

9. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

You can keep shrimp or snails, but there aren't a lot of options for a 5 gal. Fish need more room than that. Even a school of 6 tetra need at least a 10g. I'd sell the tank and get a bigger one ;) you can do more with it. The only reason they sell tanks smaller than 10g is to make a buck and con children and parents into buying small tanks and housing inappropriate fish in them. A betta IS possible, but I still feel that they are happier, healthier, and thrive better in a 10g.

10. OP
    OP
    C

All helpful food for thought. Thank you!

11. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimming Well Known Member Member

I have a 5 gallon snail tank and I think it's a wonderful use of a 5 gallon! I got the idea when my platys were endlessly picking on my golden apple snail. I didn't want him to die so I got a 5 gallon setup for him, and added some buddies. He took to the ivory one immediately (and they have mated many times since). Just be prepared to scrape off eggs.

But I have it on my desk and they are a blast to watch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice