Stocking 40 gallon with Angelfish

anmlvrj

Hi all,
I would like to get options for stocking a 40 gallon regular tank. I will have 2 angelfish that I am moving to that tank and would like to do either apistogramma or rams with them and maybe some small blue tetras for color. I am really looking for fish with character. I know the angelfish recognize me when I walk in the room and feeding time and I would like to add to that delight of watching fish in the 40 gallon (which is cycling at the moment). I will be keeping at 82 degrees with soft acidic water most likely using reverse osmosis and peat. Water changes will be 20% every two weeks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I looked through previous posts and did not find one specific for character. Thank you.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I wouldn't do angels in a 40 gallon, here is the explanation to that, scroll down to the part on tank size: Angelfish Care

anmlvrj

Thank you I did actually read that article earlier this week. I do understand there is quite some controversy on what size is acceptable and will take that into consideration of moving them over to a larger tank. That being said what suggestions are there for tankmates?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Thank you I did actually read that article earlier this week. I do understand there is quite some controversy on what size is acceptable and will take that into consideration of moving them over to a larger tank. That being said what suggestions are there for tankmates?
For blue fish that have high personality, the first one that comes to mind are GBR. But I hear they are extremely difficult and only for the advanced keeper, though that could just be bad breeding within the trade, but coralbandit has good stock that are more hardy. Others might be blue gularis killis, my Columbian tetras are quite aggressive towards each other and are fun to watch (No harm done though).

anmlvrj

My 29 gallon has a pair of golden wonder killis. Love them, however they stay at the top for the most part and hard to watch. I have been looking at GBR but did hear they are hard to keep. I looked at Geophagus and Apistos so my thoughts are all over the place and trying to narrow down to something that will show the most character in the tank.
I should also add that I have a sand substrate in the 40 gallon so whatever fish would enjoy that type of environment. I'm trying to avoid african cichlids as I would like to be able to put community fish in the tank. You can see why I need assistance as I'm all over the place with my options.

LowConductivity

Hi all,
I would like to get options for stocking a 40 gallon regular tank. I will have 2 angelfish that I am moving to that tank and would like to do either apistogramma or rams with them and maybe some small blue tetras for color. I am really looking for fish with character. I know the angelfish recognize me when I walk in the room and feeding time and I would like to add to that delight of watching fish in the 40 gallon (which is cycling at the moment). I will be keeping at 82 degrees with soft acidic water most likely using reverse osmosis and peat. Water changes will be 20% every two weeks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I looked through previous posts and did not find one specific for character. Thank you.
40 gallon regular....not sure what that measures? 48x12.5x17?

I'd probably skip the RO and peat

Ellebrius

I have 3 pearl gouramis and I can watch them all day. They are beautiful and color up with good food. They absolutely recognize me when I walk in the room and they come to my hand to be fed.
You can’t go wrong with them.

anmlvrj

Actually I just found out it's a 30 gallon breeder, darn it. Well guess I'll be buying a 65 gallon for the angelfish and whatever else. Guess it will give me more choices tho on what I can have and dedicate each tank so the different types of species I like.

Ellebrius

Good for the angelfish! Get some gouramis as well you won’t regret it.

Attachments

• 237FC03A-587E-4BE0-9BAB-0C9C45F7D58A.jpeg
    237FC03A-587E-4BE0-9BAB-0C9C45F7D58A.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 56D83D45-067F-4674-AE83-4291FCAC213A.jpeg
    56D83D45-067F-4674-AE83-4291FCAC213A.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 16

anmlvrj

So now that I will not be putting the angel fish in the 30 gallon breeder with salt bottom, any suggestions? Looking for personality so I know gourami is an option but like personality. Pair of apistogramma with various friends? thoughts?

TClare

Various dwarf cichlids might be suitable and most have “personality“ though I believe some Apistogramma can be shy (mine are not, especially the agassizii). Are you intending to keep the temperature at 82F? That would be suitable for GBR but maybe not for Bolivian rams which are hardier. I have Laetacara araguaiae, they are also hardy, attractive and interactive, they may not be so easy to get though. Is the tank going to be planted?

anmlvrj

Various dwarf cichlids might be suitable and most have “personality“ though I believe some Apistogramma can be shy (mine are not, especially the agassizii). Are you intending to keep the temperature at 82F? That would be suitable for GBR but maybe not for Bolivian rams which are hardier. I have Laetacara araguaiae, they are also hardy, attractive and interactive, they may not be so easy to get though. Is the tank going to be planted?
I have not heard of the Laetacara araguaiae so that is an option and I am not set on the temp it can be changed depending on what I house. I may plant it depending on what is housed so if it is something that is going to tear up the plants than I will not plant but if it needs plants than I obviously will plant the tank.

TClare

I have not heard of the Laetacara araguaiae so that is an option and I am not set on the temp it can be changed depending on what I house. I may plant it depending on what is housed so if it is something that is going to tear up the plants than I will not plant but if it needs plants than I obviously will plant the tank.
None of the dwarf cichlids will harm plants, dense plants would be good especially for Apistogramma, but they need some open sandy areas as well. Apistogramma like lots of structure, plants, branches, caves, leaf litter and hiding places - particularly important if you have a pair as they can be very aggressive to each other at times. I find the Laetacara stay much more out in the open. GBRs are very pretty but as already mentioned you need to be careful to get healthy stock from a responsible breeder. I think Bolivian rams would be good too, though I have not kept them yet. Any of these dwarf cichlids would be fine with some tetras. A fine sand substrate is best for all of them. If you are not familiar with Laetacara araguaiae I have a thread with some photos of them here: Laetacara araguaiae | American Cichlid Forum | 496705
There are.2 other Laetacara species that may be available and probably similar in behaviour.

Best to choose the fish you like the best, research it about and set up your tank accordingly.

anmlvrj

Why do you mention to skip the RO. I have very high PH based on my standard water out of the tap and wondering if the only way to fix it is to RO and add mineral.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Why do you mention to skip the RO. I have very high PH based on my standard water out of the tap and wondering if the only way to fix it is to RO and add mineral.
I have kept angels in 8.4 ph and they've been fine, even bred, and I'm sure they could go higher.

anmlvrj

Actually I just found out it's a 30 gallon breeder, darn it. Well guess I'll be buying a 65 gallon for the angelfish and whatever else. Guess it will give me more choices tho on what I can have and dedicate each tank so the different types of species I like.
So my plan for 65 gallon got expanded to 75 gallon. It has been cycling for the last 2 weeks. I just bought 100 lbs of sand for substrate. I ordered an additional filter so it will have 3 filters running on the tank (2 over tank and one sponge) and 2 heaters. My 3 angelfish juveniles will move to this tank. They made me seek a bigger tank based on those that made suggestions here and I couldn't be happier than being pushed into this hobby full force. Can anyone suggest something I might be missing in this early set up phase for the 75 gallon as I have never had a tank this large.
Thank you all in advance.
I have kept angels in 8.4 ph and they've been fine, even bred, and I'm sure they could go higher.
That is wonderful news. I have read that LFS supplies do well with diverse water conditions as they have adapted but one of my angels is wild caught so just trying to do the right thing. So far so good with the tank water in their current habitat so maybe I'll just stick with what's working (never had wild caught anything either).

TClare

So my plan for 65 gallon got expanded to 75 gallon. It has been cycling for the last 2 weeks. I just bought 100 lbs of sand for substrate. I ordered an additional filter so it will have 3 filters running on the tank (2 over tank and one sponge) and 2 heaters. My 3 angelfish juveniles will move to this tank. They made me seek a bigger tank based on those that made suggestions here and I couldn't be happier than being pushed into this hobby full force. Can anyone suggest something I might be missing in this early set up phase for the 75 gallon as I have never had a tank this large.
Thank you all in advance.
Nice! Personally I would plant the tank now with easy, fast growing plants, and let them become established while the tank is cycling. It might be a good idea to get another angelfish while they are still small, as with three one might end up getting bullied. I have 6 in a larger tank, they are quite big now and are always bickering, noting really serious but I appreciate the advantage of a group as the aggression is spread out and not targeted on one particular fish.

anmlvrj

Nice! Personally I would plant the tank now with easy, fast growing plants, and let them become established while the tank is cycling. It might be a good idea to get another angelfish while they are still small, as with three one might end up getting bullied. I have 6 in a larger tank, they are quite big now and are always bickering, noting really serious but I appreciate the advantage of a group as the aggression is spread out and not targeted on one particular fish.
Tclare: thank you for the comments. Couple questions as I am still learning. I am not sure if I have 2 males and a female or 2 females and a male as I am having a hard time sexing the wild caught. How many angelfish could I have in a 75 gallon without issue? I am prepared to move one or a pair to another tank if absolutely needed but not ideal.
Also, next question, plants in a cycling tank, won't they die? I thought that plants needed premier conditions in order to flourish?
Any thoughts welcome.

TClare

Tclare: thank you for the comments. Couple questions as I am still learning. I am not sure if I have 2 males and a female or 2 females and a male as I am having a hard time sexing the wild caught. How many angelfish could I have in a 75 gallon without issue? I am prepared to move one or a pair to another tank if absolutely needed but not ideal.
Also, next question, plants in a cycling tank, won't they die? I thought that plants needed premier conditions in order to flourish?
Any thoughts welcome.
It is pretty impossible to sex angelfish until they start to breed. I think you could have 4 or 5, especially if you have another tank as a backup if necessary, which it might be If a couple pair off.

No problem adding plants from the beginning, as long as you have lights. Don't have the lights on for more than 6 hours a day at first though, to prevent algae. As the plants become established and grow you can increase the hours of light. You could add some all in one liquid fertilizer once a week to help them along. A lot of stem plants become established and grow very quickly and are good for starting things off. As they grow fast you can trim the tops off and replant the tops to give a fuller, more bushy growth. I find Vallisneria very easy as well, even in tanks that are not really set up for plants. Amazon swords are good long term as they do not need trimming, but grow a bit more slowly at first. Different people seem to have success with different plants so its best to try a few different ones and see which grow the best in your water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
andy305mia
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
Violetskies
40 Gallon Tank 40 gallon stocking