Stocking 37gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by soltarianknight, Dec 17, 2012.

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Now that my new Hex is up and running i am planning on adding more stock to what is currently in there. The tank is about 37-38 gallons. It's a custom job 2ft tall by 2ft diameter

Current stock:
    5 gold barbs
    2 swordtails
    1 clown pleco

Dream stock
    5 goldbarbs
    5 rosy/other barbs
    3 female swords
    5-6 cory
    1 clown pleco

I'm pretty sure i can't do an extra school of barbs and cory both so i was thinking maybe..

8 gold barbs
    3 female swords
    5-6 cory
    1 clown pleco

I know it depends on cory species too, i can't get any pygmy breeds, Pandas are a slim possibility. My LFS normally has Bronze, Emerald, Agazi, skunk stripe, albino and bandits.

Also worth mention, if i lost the swords completely, would it be worth it to do an angel or large gourami species. Not sure if i could do pearls in this size tank.

EDIT:
    Cory and Kuhli loaches are interchangeable. Basically what i am asking is for some stock lists.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I wouldn't do the rosy barbs - a bit too big. And too much, if your gold barbs are the 4 inch variety. I really liked my golds with cherry barbs - the red fins really stood out with the red fish.

I think You might be able to get a well mannered gourami in there.

3. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

I thought so. Any small schoolers i might be able to pull off with a group of kuhli? I don't mind just having a large group of barbs. Mine are roughly 3-4" maxed out. Female obviously a bit bigger then males.

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would go with:
    1 Angelfish
    1 Clown pleco
    6-8 Gold barbs (6 if you keep platies 8 if they go, I vote go)
    8-Panda or other smaller cory

Once everyone attains adult size and you get a feel for the tank maintenance wise upping the cory or Gold barb schools is a possibility down the line.

5. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

I have a good deal of experience with heavy stock maintenance, i do breed tilapia :p 2 weekly 50% WC on the 55 fry tank, 100gallons on the main tanks onc a week and daily cleaning of the filters. I have got heavy stock to a science so don't worry about that.

It seems kinda like a shame to drop my swords so soon. I mean, i have only had them for a month or so. They arn't as much as i expected them to be i guess, but mom is still preggers and i think i will be seeing this pregnancy to its end at least, i owe her that. Depending on the fry out come, that will be the deciding factor. Also depends if i can find a pretty angel at my LFS. So possibly

2-3 female swords(do i need 3 if it is just females? or could i even keep the one female i already have?)
    6-8 gold barbs
    1 clown pleco
    8 small cory or kuhli loaches

The barbs, pleco, swords are all adult sized.

6. Matt B

I don't doubt you can handle it. ;) Its just something that kind of engrained in my head when I post to stocking threads, I'm too used to people wanting to fill their tanks to the brim with 1" juvies and then end up with a tank bursting at the seams. I also, wasn't sure the level of activity/maintenance you were going for in which case I always go light.

My knowledge of livebearers is pretty limited as to what makes them happy but I assumed it had something to do with spreading out males attentions. I think the list you just posted will work fine with an angel and your female sword.

7. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Yeah, im a heavy stocker by nature. We keep the tilapia at 3gallons a fish. less so for fry. Yet they stay healthy(all food production). I'll wait for a chime in on the livebearers still. Is there any species of angel that stays smaller then the big boys i see in other tanks?
    Also, video of what we are working with. Tanks still cloudy, sorry.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rde5vsXrF4&feature=youtu.be
    Needs plants.

8. Jaysee

One of the challenges I had stocking the 30 hex was utilizing the height of the tank. I layered the fish so I was able to have several schools (of small fish).

I think the kuhlis would be much happier in there than corys, based on how the bottom is done, and their nature. A pleco would be happy in there too. Perhaps a bolivian ram and an angel for cichlids. I would then do cherry barbs and swordtails. But, the top of the tank will still be vacant. I think black neons will look good with the yellow and red.

9. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Interesting, i think the kuhli would do better too. I am keeping the goldbarbs, bottom line. The clown pleco loves the tank already. I don't mind the very top being empty, my swordtails are both pretty top oriented.

10. Jaysee

I didn't mean anything in place of the gold barbs.

11. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Ah. Sorry, its just there is one employee at my LFS that ALWAYS tells me to get rid of them, simply because he doesn't think they make good fish X-x. I get a little defensive with them.

12. Jaysee

I love mine.

13. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Ditto, best thing i have ever purchased.

14. Jaysee

I wouldn't go that far, but they are in the top 10 :)

15. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Well your 10 and my 10 are different XP

16. Jaysee

hahaha, bettas surely aren't on mine ;)

17. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Bettas arnt on mine, they have their own class.

18. Jaysee

I was sure they would be!

19. Matt B

I remember reading a thread a long time ago about your filtration system for the tilapia, very interesting.

As far as small angels, there are Pterophyllum leopoldi, which stay smaller but can be super aggressive and hard to find. Stay away from Altums, they get huge. Most of what you see in stores are variations of Pterophyllum scalare.

That didn't turn out bad at all! I was kinda expecting the white to be more glaring.

20. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

So was I. it turned out nice though. Everyone has settled in and i now know that i NEED more fish in a bad way. The top 2/3 of the tank are empty. The goldbarbs stay low as always and the swords are more bottom to mid. The top and middle are basically vacant. So, i am foregoing a new school of barbs and I am going to find a school of tetra or rasboras tomorrow. It may prevent me from getting anything else, but it must happen. The ones i know they have are
    Neons
    Cardinals
    2-3 different danio species(may go this route)
    Splash tetra
    Congo
    Emperor
    Painted
    black neon
    albino black neon
    GloTetra
    Rosey reds
    WCMM

Might go for some danio's if they have the right species.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice