Stocking 37 Gallon Tank

  • Thread starter

Rhako

Valued Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
21
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Just looking for suggestions on fish and/or plants to add to my 37 gallon tank.

Current Stock:

4 Albino Cories
2 Albino BN Plecos
2 Long Fin Rosy Barbs
2 Male Guppies
2 Honey Gouramis

Thanks in advance

Edit: I prefer not to re-home any of the current fish I have. Just looking to see what I could add.
 

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Messages
193
Reaction score
48
Points
53
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cories should be in groups of 6, and the rosy barbs will probably get a bit too big for a 37
 
  • Thread starter

Rhako

Valued Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
21
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Iridium_2256 said:
Cories should be in groups of 6, and the rosy barbs will probably get a bit too big for a 37
Thanks, I will look into getting some more cories
 

jaymethy

Valued Member
Messages
175
Reaction score
58
Points
28
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plecos grow very large, and have a large bio load. I wouldn't put more than one in your sized aquarium.
 

jaymethy

Valued Member
Messages
175
Reaction score
58
Points
28
Experience
5 to 10 years
jaymethy said:
Plecos grow relatively large (4-6 inches), and have a large bio load. I wouldn't put more than one in your sized aquarium.
 
  • Thread starter

Rhako

Valued Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
21
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Thank you guys but I'm not really looking to move anything.
 

jaymethy

Valued Member
Messages
175
Reaction score
58
Points
28
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rhako said:
Thank you guys but I'm not really looking to move anything.
For the wellbeing of all your fish, you should definitely consider it.
 

jaymethy

Valued Member
Messages
175
Reaction score
58
Points
28
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rhako said:
Thank you guys but I'm not really looking to move anything.
Well if you aren't rehoming the plecos, your tank is overstocked and you cannot add any fish.
 

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Messages
193
Reaction score
48
Points
53
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bristlenose plecos will get to about 6 inches and are not as messy as a common. If you have proper filtration that could work, but 2 may be too much for a 37.
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
You might be able to get by with only 4 corys, although the more the merrier.
With the two Plecos, you'll need to ensure you're overfilted and do frequent water changes (a few times a week) to keep nitrates in check.

Rosy barbs, although not as bad as tiger barbs, can nip fins and should be in groups of 6+, but growing to 10cm that is too much for a 37 to handle. I know you said you don't want to rehome, but just be prepared for problems and potentially unhappy or aggressive fish

You shouldn't be adding any more fish with this stock, you're already very close to capacity with the 2 Plecos
 
  • Thread starter

Rhako

Valued Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
21
Points
28
Experience
Just started
DaleM said:
You might be able to get by with only 4 corys, although the more the merrier.
With the two Plecos, you'll need to ensure you're overfilted and do frequent water changes (a few times a week) to keep nitrates in check.

Rosy barbs, although not as bad as tiger barbs, can nip fins and should be in groups of 6+, but growing to 10cm that is too much for a 37 to handle. I know you said you don't want to rehome, but just be prepared for problems and potentially unhappy or aggressive fish

You shouldn't be adding any more fish with this stock, you're already very close to capacity with the 2 Plecos
Sorry this reply is a little delayed, but I wanted to think everything over lol. If I rehomed the plecos and upgraded my filter would I be able to increase the cory and/or barb school?
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Rhako said:
Sorry this reply is a little delayed, but I wanted to think everything over lol. If I rehomed the plecos and upgraded my filter would I be able to increase the cory and/or barb school?
Yes, that should be fine. What filter are you currently running?
 
  • Thread starter

Rhako

Valued Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
21
Points
28
Experience
Just started
DaleM Right now I have a topfin 40 (I know that’s pretty bad lol, came with a kit) while doing pretty frequent tests and water changes, but I’m planning to get a aquaclear 70 before I increase the size.
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Rhako said:
DaleM Right now I have a topfin 40 (I know that’s pretty bad lol, came with a kit) while doing pretty frequent tests and water changes, but I’m planning to get a aquaclear 70 before I increase the size.
Aquaclears are awesome HOBs. You can keep the Topfin running with the aquaclear to provide extra filtration if you wish. You can never have too much filtration
 
  • Thread starter

Rhako

Valued Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
21
Points
28
Experience
Just started
DaleM said:
Aquaclears are awesome HOBs. You can keep the Topfin running with the aquaclear to provide extra filtration if you wish. You can never have too much filtration
Okay, great! Thanks for your help
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom