Stocking 37 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Rhako, Apr 21, 2018.

1. RhakoValued MemberMember

Just looking for suggestions on fish and/or plants to add to my 37 gallon tank.

Current Stock:

4 Albino Cories
    2 Albino BN Plecos
    2 Long Fin Rosy Barbs
    2 Male Guppies
    2 Honey Gouramis

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I prefer not to re-home any of the current fish I have. Just looking to see what I could add.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Cories should be in groups of 6, and the rosy barbs will probably get a bit too big for a 37

3. RhakoValued MemberMember

Thanks, I will look into getting some more cories :)

4. jaymethyValued MemberMember

Plecos grow very large, and have a large bio load. I wouldn't put more than one in your sized aquarium.

5. jaymethyValued MemberMember

6. RhakoValued MemberMember

Thank you guys but I'm not really looking to move anything.

7. jaymethyValued MemberMember

For the wellbeing of all your fish, you should definitely consider it.

8. jaymethyValued MemberMember

Well if you aren't rehoming the plecos, your tank is overstocked and you cannot add any fish.

9. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Bristlenose plecos will get to about 6 inches and are not as messy as a common. If you have proper filtration that could work, but 2 may be too much for a 37.

10. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

You might be able to get by with only 4 corys, although the more the merrier.
    With the two Plecos, you'll need to ensure you're overfilted and do frequent water changes (a few times a week) to keep nitrates in check.

Rosy barbs, although not as bad as tiger barbs, can nip fins and should be in groups of 6+, but growing to 10cm that is too much for a 37 to handle. I know you said you don't want to rehome, but just be prepared for problems and potentially unhappy or aggressive fish

You shouldn't be adding any more fish with this stock, you're already very close to capacity with the 2 Plecos

11. RhakoValued MemberMember

Sorry this reply is a little delayed, but I wanted to think everything over lol. If I rehomed the plecos and upgraded my filter would I be able to increase the cory and/or barb school?

12. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Yes, that should be fine. What filter are you currently running?

13. RhakoValued MemberMember

@DaleM Right now I have a topfin 40 (I know that’s pretty bad lol, came with a kit) while doing pretty frequent tests and water changes, but I’m planning to get a aquaclear 70 before I increase the size.

14. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Aquaclears are awesome HOBs. You can keep the Topfin running with the aquaclear to provide extra filtration if you wish. You can never have too much filtration

15. RhakoValued MemberMember

Okay, great! Thanks for your help :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice