Stocking 37 gallon tank advise

Pikephillips322

I am going through my cycle with my 37 gallon tank.
I am doing fish in cycle with tetra safe start plus.

I currently have 4 white skirt tetra, all doing great.
My original plan was a school of tetra, a school of barbs and a shark on the bottom.
But I‘ve been doing a lot of research and reading and have found other fish I REALLY like and I’m not sure what direction I wanna go or can go safely.
I do want to continue with the school of tetra. I currently have 4 but will add 2-4 more as the cycle allows. I still want a community tank and something on all levels.

A couple of fish that I am really considering are angel and paradise fish(gourami). I’ve found so many different opinions on what can and can not be together. So I’m not sure about the compatibility of angels, tetra and gourami. The reviews are VERY mixed.
If possible I’d only want 1 of each the angel and paradise gourami with the tetra. Also I’d like to have something in the bottom but I do not like algae eaters at all.
I love the look of sharks but I’m pretty sure that’s out with the others. Is there anything that’s really pretty that could live with these fish on the bottom of the tank?

Can all these fish coexist happily and healthy?
If not are there any suggestions on something similar? I like pretty, bright, colorful fish.
Thanks in advance and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

CrackerboxPalace

Paradise gourami prefer colder water so they won’t mix well with angels generally. I have little experience with angels but 37 gallons might not be tall enough for them at full size. Not 100% sure on that, but Instead you could go with a dwarf gourami, a group of honey gouramis or a couple of bolivian rams.

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum. There are mixed opinions about angelfish in a 37 gallon tank. I probably wouldn't do it since they can get pretty large. Here's a suggestion:
  • 3 pearl gouramis or 5 honey gouramis, with females outnumbering males.
  • 8 skirt tetras (some could be black skirts if you want more variety, but I'd do all white).
  • 6-8 of one of the smaller Corydoras species.

Ellebrius

I have pearl gouramis that are gorgeous, a couple of Bolivian Rams some panda and amber corydorras. Tank is starting to look great and everybody gets along. I will be adding a school of tetras or rasboras to finish things off. Good luck with your tank.

Pikephillips322

Thanks everyone. I do like the honey gourami a lot. I like the pearls as well, those could be an option. I would like to have something a bit more substantial too. That’s why I was thinking an angel. Is there something a bit bigger that could live with the tetra as well as either the honey or pearls? I think I’d like the small corys on the bottom as well. Btw my tank is a tall tank vs wide. If that makes a difference for the angels etc.

CrackerboxPalace

Thanks everyone. I do like the honey gourami a lot. I like the pearls as well, those could be an option. I would like to have something a bit more substantial too. That’s why I was thinking an angel. Is there something a bit bigger that could live with the tetra as well as either the honey or pearls? I think I’d like the small corys on the bottom as well. Btw my tank is a tall tank vs wide. If that makes a difference for the angels etc.
do you have a height measurement? typically best to have at the very least 12" height, from the substrate to the waterline.

Noroomforshoe

an 18 inch tall tank is the minimum for an angelfish, there bottom fins can grow long, and their dorsal fins will grow tall, and with, substraight and the rim of the tank, and at least an inch of evaporation here and there, an 18 inch tall tank is suddenly a 15 inch tall tank.

I'm not sure if your understanding the difference bettween Pearl gourami and honey gourami. Pearl gourami are a potentially 5 inch long fish that can be territorial and do best as a single species or pair. Honey gourami are a small shy dwarf species that can be kept singly or in groups but thrives in a school of 6 plus.

I suggest=
Get 4 more skirt tetra
Skip the angel. Even one would be a huge bioload contributer, And skirt tetra can get nippy.
Skip the Pearl gourami, sameissues as the angel.
Get 6 or 8 honey gourami, 2-3 females per male.
If you still want "somthing more substantial" or what I what i here more commanly called a center peice fish=
Consider
1 golden wonder killifish.
or
A kribensis cichled

Pikephillips322

do you have a height measurement? typically best to have at the very least 12" height, from the substrate to the waterline.
Yep. Over all height is 23” but substrate to waterline is 18”

Noroomforshoe

That's a good height for an angel.

Pikephillips322

an 18 inch tall tank is the minimum for an angelfish, there bottom fins can grow long, and their dorsal fins will grow tall, and with, substraight and the rim of the tank, and at least an inch of evaporation here and there, an 18 inch tall tank is suddenly a 15 inch tall tank.

I'm not sure if your understanding the difference bettween Pearl gourami and honey gourami. Pearl gourami are a potentially 5 inch long fish that can be territorial and do best as a single species or pair. Honey gourami are a small shy dwarf species that can be kept singly or in groups but thrives in a school of 6 plus.

I suggest=
Get 4 more skirt tetra
Skip the angel. Even one would be a huge bioload contributer, And skirt tetra can get nippy.
If you still want "somthing more substantial" or what I what i here more commanly called a center peice fish=
Consider
or
A kribensis cichled
I don’t understand the difference in A LOT of fish. That’s why I am asking questions before making decisions. Someone mentioned the pearls and the honeys along with what I have and corys. There are a LOT of varied opinions out here so I’m glad to hear different perspectives. For instance, I saw another gourami, the blue gourami that I like but know nothing about other than what I read on the website. It says they are peaceful but can grow up to 5”. As tank mates it mentioned tetra and corys as well, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work for my particular set up. I just don’t know ‍♂️ but I want to know so I ask. I’m not dead set on an angel fish. I just want something a bit bigger than just the tetra and honey gourami. And I’d rather wait to get something I really like that will work well than to get something I’m not crazy about just because it’ll work. I love all my animals fur or fin and want them to be healthy and happy. I also wanna be happy with them. So far the only thing I’m set on are the skirt tetra because I’ve already got them and I do like them. Other than that I’m open and all advice and opinions are welcome.

Noroomforshoe

I was not trying to sound rude, or snobby, just stating facts.
It is likely the blue gourami that you saw was a 3 spot or opaline. same fish different color. The golden gorami is also the same species.
So, gourami tend to be territorial cousins of betta fish that dont prefer company of other gourami. the most commonly sold species...

the 3 color morphs = opaline, 3-spot, and gold. I would call medium aggressive, 1 could be a beautifull fit in your 36 gallon, but I dont know if it would get along with honey gourami. I even tried to look it up.

Honey gourami - can be very shy and peacefull, but males may fight over females.

Dwarf gourami = can be nasty aggressive fish , I constantly read horror stories about them.

The pearl and the moonlight gourami are said to be the most peaceful gourami, but they are slightly more sensitive, and slightly bigger.

Sparkling gourami, tiny gems I hope to have some day!

Kissing gourami - Large territorial fish that are actually fighting not kissing.

Pikephillips322

I was not trying to sound rude, or snobby, just stating facts.
It is likely the blue gourami that you saw was a 3 spot or opaline. same fish different color. The golden gorami is also the same species.
So, gourami tend to be territorial cousins of betta fish that dont prefer company of other gourami. the most commonly sold species...

the 3 color morphs = opaline, 3-spot, and gold. I would call medium aggressive, 1 could be a beautifull fit in your 36 gallon, but I dont know if it would get along with honey gourami. I even tried to look it up.

Honey gourami - can be very shy and peacefull, but males may fight over females.

Dwarf gourami = can be nasty aggressive fish , I constantly read horror stories about them.

The pearl and the moonlight gourami are said to be the most peaceful gourami, but they are slightly more sensitive, and slightly bigger.

Sparkling gourami, tiny gems I hope to have some day!

Kissing gourami - Large territorial fish that are actually fighting not kissing.
I didn’t take your comment as rude at all! Just the opposite, I need to know these things. I appreciate hearing different points of view. I genuinely want to learn about these things so I don’t make a big mistake and have a tank full of havoc that’s why I’m asking before I make choices. Trust me everything someone mentions or suggests I check out. Some I really like some I just don’t care as much for personally but doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate everyone’s efforts. I wish there was a better way of expressing emotion via text so no one ever thought someone was rude when they’re not or that someone is offended when they’re not, I promise I found your comment helpful and nothing more. You took the time to help me learn and that’s what I need so I appreciate it. I meant it sincerely when I said I don’t know about A LOT of fish. I haven’t kept fish in probably 15 years and back then there was no cycling the tank in my little world and I just pointed and said ooooh I like that!!! And bought it. Now I’m older and hopefully wiser and legit wanna do it right. So please don’t feel you’ve offended me. If you ever do I will respectfully let you know hahah I appreciate your time and advice. Otherwise I’d never know

Ellebrius

I have 2 pearl gouramis, bought 2 weeks ago and they are lovely. They have colored up nicely in the 2 weeks and and are gorgeous with the lighting. I am not sure of course but from what I have read I believe I have 2 females, they are still too young for me to be sure. They get along fine and swim together except at feeding time, then the larger of the 2 will chase the smaller one away in an effort to get to all the food. They don’t fight it’s just a this is all my food and I want it all kind of thing and the other moves away, so I make sure I feed the smaller one in a different area. They are very greedy eaters and get to the food faster than all the other fish. Apart from that they are great and lovely to watch.
When I find out for sure if I have 2 females I will buy a male and maybe he will straighten them out. Lol

ProudPapa

. . . I'm not sure if your understanding the difference bettween Pearl gourami and honey gourami. Pearl gourami are a potentially 5 inch long fish that can be territorial and do best as a single species or pair. Honey gourami are a small shy dwarf species that can be kept singly or in groups but thrives in a school of 6 plus.

I suggest=
Get 4 more skirt tetra
Consider
or
A kribensis cichled

I will respectfully disagree with your issues with pearl gouramis. They generally do just fine in groups.

jinjerJOSH22

They generally do just fine in groups.
"Better" In my opinion/experience the same with most Gourami with notable exceptions like with the Dwarf Gourami(Trichogaster Lalius).
Pearls, Honeys, Three Spots, Moonlights are all better off in a group of the same species. They have varying degrees of aggression but it is normal within the respective species. The larger Three Spots are generally better of in tanks that are at least 4ft long.

Pikephillips322

I have 2 pearl gouramis, bought 2 weeks ago and they are lovely. They have colored up nicely in the 2 weeks and and are gorgeous with the lighting. I am not sure of course but from what I have read I believe I have 2 females, they are still too young for me to be sure. They get along fine and swim together except at feeding time, then the larger of the 2 will chase the smaller one away in an effort to get to all the food. They don’t fight it’s just a this is all my food and I want it all kind of thing and the other moves away, so I make sure I feed the smaller one in a different area. They are very greedy eaters and get to the food faster than all the other fish. Apart from that they are great and lovely to watch.
When I find out for sure if I have 2 females I will buy a male and maybe he will straighten them out. Lol
Thanks for the feedback! Are your pearls alone or in a community tank?
I will respectfully disagree with your issues with pearl gouramis. They generally do just fine in groups.
Groups of just pearls tho right? Not community tanks?

Ellebrius

They are in a community tank with Bolivian Ramirez, panda and amber corydoras. I also have one assassin snail. Like I said above I want to add one or two pearl gouramis. It’s a good setup, works great they all have their own space. I am not adding tetras or rasboras because I prefer more pearls instead.

Pikephillips322

They are in a community tank with Bolivian Ramirez, panda and amber corydoras. I also have one assassin snail. Like I said above I want to add one or two pearl gouramis. It’s a good setup, works great they all have their own space. I am not adding tetras or rasboras because I prefer more pearls instead.
Ok great! Thank you! What size is your tank if you don’t mind me asking?

Ellebrius

40 gallons I was told when I got it but if I measure it the way they say here the result gives me 37 gallons. o_O

Pikephillips322

40 gallons I was told when I got it but if I measure it the way they say here the result gives me 37 gallons. o_O
Nice, that’s the size of mine as well. Thank you so much again! Your info has been very helpful!

Ellebrius

Glad I could be of help, usually it’s me asking the questions.;)
Have fun setting up your tank, it’s the best part.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Natalie666
Replies
Views
Kmangan106
  • Question
Replies
Views
Angles4ever
  • Question