Stocking 36 Gallon Bow Front.

Rgriffeth

Reaction score
Good Day,
I am kind of new to the hobby. I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium with live plants. Right now I have 6 cory cats, 6 red barbs, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 1 Gold German Ram. I keep the tank at 81 degrees. I use a fluval 406 canister filter. I completed a 6 week fishless cycle before adding fish. I do a 30% water change weekly and then once a month a 50%. I also do water test every 2 days. The 2 rams came from a friend. As for the others they came from a 10 gallon I started with. My questions are, am I doing this correctly, and can I add any more fish comfortably? Also some ideas of what fish would be great if I have the room. I attached a picture of the setup. All plants are real except the vein draping on the left and the patches of grass at the bottom.

Attachments

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Which corys are they? Many corys like cooler water than what GBR like. Bolivians prefer it cooler too. I wouldn't recommend mixing Bolivians and GBR. Personally I would maybe consider rehoming one, especially if the corys are cooler water corys. By red barbs do you mean cherry barbs or rosy barbs? Aside from those points, there is room for other fish.

I would personally like this stocking, though there's plenty of fish to choose from:
2x Bolivian
8x barbs
8x corys
3x honey gourami

Rgriffeth

Reaction score
The Cory's are peppered and albinos. 3 of each and 6 cherry barbs. Yea I had seen that about the GBRs and Bolivian but unfortunately I am in a pickle. The tank, filter, stand and etc came with the rams. He really liked them and offered it free to me as long as I kept those 2 fish. So I'm trying my best to meet everybody in the middle here. To move all my fish from a crowded tank and to keep his 2 fish ( that actually get along very well. I've had it running like this for about 5 weeks now but I am concerned about the set up. Its either start fresh or make it work honestly and that's a **** of a deal not to at least try.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what about the setup concerns you?
I would bring the temp down to 78.
I would add 4-5 more of each corie species.
I personally would not add gourami with the rams that you have.
I think you have room for one more school of fish,
maybe 6 = Turquoise rainbow fish, or celebes rainbows, or austrailian, anything that stays near or under 4 inches.
maybe 8 = harlequin rasbora, or black neons, or x-ray tetra.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rgriffeth said:
The Cory's are peppered and albinos. 3 of each and 6 cherry barbs. Yea I had seen that about the GBRs and Bolivian but unfortunately I am in a pickle. The tank, filter, stand and etc came with the rams. He really liked them and offered it free to me as long as I kept those 2 fish. So I'm trying my best to meet everybody in the middle here. To move all my fish from a crowded tank and to keep his 2 fish ( that actually get along very well. I've had it running like this for about 5 weeks now but I am concerned about the set up. Its either start fresh or make it work honestly and that's a **** of a deal not to at least try.
Unfortunately those corys do need lower temps than GBR. With bolivians and gbr, they do get along, but they prefer different temps. So the stocking isn't perfect. Sticky situation.
Noroomforshoe said:
what about the setup concerns you?
I would bring the temp down to 78.
I would add 4-5 more of each corie species.
I personally would not add gourami with the rams that you have.
The problem with that is that the lowest recommended for gbr is 80 degrees. With 82 to 86 being preferable. Gourami are one of the most common tankmates for rams. Honeys in particular. I'm a big fan of them, not all are though.

ColmC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have room more for fish ,

you should keep the temp as is it as you have a GR, I would lower it after that

I have all your fish except the GR

I would get a school or honey gourmais

Rgriffeth

Reaction score
Thank You all, I will explore my options, and see what works best with the situation. You all have given me great information and i am very appreciative.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom