Stocking 30 Gal

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need a little help... I was misinformed by a pet store employee and need help with my situation. I currently have a 30 gallon tank with a 30-45 filter and i do weekly water changes. I have two platies, three mollies, one dwarf gourami, and 4 corys. I had an aggressive platy i had to remove as it almost killed two of my snails and chased around other fish. I need to get one or two more cory but also was told that adding platies would help reduce the aggression and i would be able to add back the platy. I really dont want to overstock as i try and give the best for my fish. Any ideas or should i keep it the way it is and find the platy a new home?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
seth rodgers said:
Hello,
I need a little help... I was misinformed by a pet store employee and need help with my situation. I currently have a 30 gallon tank with a 30-45 filter and i do weekly water changes. I have two platies, three mollies, one dwarf gourami, and 4 corys. I had an aggressive platy i had to remove as it almost killed two of my snails and chased around other fish. I need to get one or two more cory but also was told that adding platies would help reduce the aggression and i would be able to add back the platy. I really dont want to overstock as i try and give the best for my fish. Any ideas or should i keep it the way it is and find the platy a new home?
You dont really have a lot in your tank now IMO. I would get the Corey's and platys. You should be fine there. I would recommend upgrading the filter though, you should go for something 3 times the tank size for it to really do its job. Canister filters are IMO the best way to go because of the different ways you can set them up. You can get them on Amazon for real cheap.

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
danhutchins said:
You dont really have a lot in your tank now IMO. I would get the Corey's and platys. You should be fine there. I would recommend upgrading the filter though, you should go for something 3 times the tank size for it to really do its job. Canister filters are IMO the best way to go because of the different ways you can set them up. You can get them on Amazon for real cheap.
If i dint want the canister filter what should i get as far as a power filter

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
seth rodgers said:
So ur saying get a 90 gallon filter
More filtration never hurts. I have a canister that turns over the water 300 gallons per hour on my 55 gallon, I also have the filter that came with the tank on it. So I'm getting about 400 or so per hour.

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
danhutchins said:
More filtration never hurts. I have a canister that turns over the water 300 gallons per hour on my 55 gallon, I also have the filter that came with the tank on it. So I'm getting about 400 or so per hour.
Oh okay, mine does 200 an hour

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
seth rodgers said:
Ok, How many more fish then
I'm not 100% on stocking levels but from all my research as long as the fish can move around well and plants out number fish as many as you want.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom