Stocking 30 Gal Help 30 Gallon Tank

1. EmilyClick28

EmilyClick28 Valued Member Member

My planted 30gal is finally cycled, and I’m ready to add some fish! I need help deciding what kinds and how many, though. I really like Cardinal and Ember Tetras, but I’ve never kept either so I’m not sure how they would do? How many could I keep in the 30gal, and which do you think is more hardy? I also really like Angelfish, would it be possible to keep some cardinal or ember tetras with angelfish, and if so how many?
    Here’s the current tank water parameters, I tested today.
    pH: 7.0
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrites 0 ppm
    Nitrates 10 ppm
    80 degrees F

2. ButchB

ButchB New Member Member

Angelfish will eat cardinal tetras, so that is probably not the best situation. Ember tetras would be better, but they may nip the angelfish's fins. The fewer tetras you have, the worse the nipping will be, but it may never be a problem. Maybe a few platies/swordtails instead of the tetras or a small/medium gourami or dwarf cichlid instead of angelfish?

3. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Angel fish is a predatory fish. I dont think it would be a good idea to keep them with the tetras

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Angels can be kept with other tetra species though.

If you really want angels, I wouldn’t recommend thinner fish.

Some suitable species would be cherry barbs, livebearers(other than guppies and endlers), and other higher bodied fish.

For the bottom, you could have a GBR.

5. OP
    OP
    EmilyClick28

EmilyClick28 Valued Member Member

Really, that stinks! Good to know though, thanks for telling me. I would love to do a large school of Ember Tetras with some Angels. So how many Angels and Ember Tetras would I want in a 30gal tank together?

I like the idea of a GBR, but I heard they're really picky and difficult to keep alive. I consider myself somewhat of a beginner, do you think this would be an okay fish for me?

6. RainBetta

RainBetta Valued Member Member

Bloodfin tetras and angelfish look great together

7. ButchB

ButchB New Member Member

You could probably do 6-8 ember tetras and 1 angelfish in a 30gal comfortably. BTW, I tend to understock my tanks so you may be perfectly with a few more tetras.

I have also had a GBR. I added him to a 5 year old tank with pristine water, light stocking, and tons of plants. He was colorful, active, and generally amazing (until I lost power in a winter storm; he didn't make it:(. He is my profile pic) So, to answer your question, if you give him water with no ammonia or nitrites and very little nitrates, plenty of hiding places, and you get him from a good source, you should be rewarded with an amazing fish.