Stocking 29g (shrimp friendly)

SneakyBeakyBecky

Hi I'm relatively new to fish keeping and looking to get some fish! My tank is cycled and the latest residents (shrimp) were added 3 weeks ago and have been thriving. It is a planted tank with CO2 and a good number of stem plants, floaters, as well as a nice honking piece of driftwood. I've been leaning towards some cardinal tetras and corydoras but not sure how many or if it would be smart to mix them since I've read that both enjoy having enough friends to shoal. I've considered a betta but I've heard they can sometimes be a shrimp bully and generally not play well in community tanks (so I'm interested, but not optimistic about this option currently).

Current residents:
General questions:
  1. Is stocking corys and tetras together a good idea? If yes, how many of each?
  2. Are there other good relatively-easy fish? I like colorful and/or goofy personalities.
  3. Is it possible to have a betta in a community tank? Are there ways to find a laid back betta?

connorjs1004

Corys and tetras are almost like a match made in heaven lol :)
The majority of community fish are pretty easy fish to keep in general so it all just comes down to what fish you like
Bettas can live in community tanks, but a lot of times its hit or miss depending on what that specific bettas personality is.
Neocaridina shrimp don't get as big as others like amanos, so even smaller fish like tetras may pick on them and eat their young. It really all just depends on how much cover the tank has

Jerionslot

I'd stray away from a betta, as like you said they have a tendency to feed on shrimp, or sometimes just kill them for the fun of it. There are some very pretty tetras, but even prettier rasboras and dwarf rainbows. If you wanted schooling fish, try 8 Furcata or Threadfin Rainbows, or maybe 6-8 Emerald Rasboras. Either way, corydoras sound like a great idea, very classic fish!

redmare

Here's my 29 gal stocking you might like!
1 longfin albino bristlenose pleco
3 honey gouramis
10 pristella tetras
10 neon tetras (I would recommend only one of the tetra schools unless you're quite experienced, this technically overstocks the tank)
8 panda corydoras
1 nerite snail
3 amano shrimp
just a whole bunch of cherry shrimp

I have it set at 74 F and run an aquaclear 30 and a small sponge filter mainly for aeration. 50% water change every week (usually every 8 or 9 days... don't tell). Super fine sand for half the substrate and gravel for the other half where I have plants.

This tank is my least problematic and most delightful one of the 8 I'm currently running. Everyone gets along, I've had no disease issues (BIG knock on wood), the plants are growing well, one weekly water change is all the maintenance it needs, the corydoras are spawning and have produced 2 babies that matured to adults in the past few months.... It's just the best setup and I love it very much.

SneakyBeakyBecky

Awesome!! Thank you guys so much!

SuperBobbyDaz

Here's my 29 gal stocking you might like!
1 longfin albino bristlenose pleco
3 honey gouramis
10 pristella tetras
10 neon tetras (I would recommend only one of the tetra schools unless you're quite experienced, this technically overstocks the tank)
8 panda corydoras
1 nerite snail
3 amano shrimp
just a whole bunch of cherry shrimp

I have it set at 74 F and run an aquaclear 30 and a small sponge filter mainly for aeration. 50% water change every week (usually every 8 or 9 days... don't tell). Super fine sand for half the substrate and gravel for the other half where I have plants.

This tank is my least problematic and most delightful one of the 8 I'm currently running. Everyone gets along, I've had no disease issues (BIG knock on wood), the plants are growing well, one weekly water change is all the maintenance it needs, the corydoras are spawning and have produced 2 babies that matured to adults in the past few months.... It's just the best setup and I love it very much.
Hey Redmare. Thanks for the info.

interested in your view on the Honey’s vs Dwarf Gouramis vs RCS

I have a 20g stocked with Guppies, Neons, Bristlenose and 3 Amano and 4 RCS.

I want to add to the RCS Colony, but we also want a nice centrepiece fish. I was looking at Dwarf Gourami’s but have read that the Shrimps would be chow for them, so don’t know if the Honeys are any more forgiving?

Are you seeing many issues with the Honeys and the RCS?

redmare

Hey Redmare. Thanks for the info.

interested in your view on the Honey’s vs Dwarf Gouramis vs RCS

I have a 20g stocked with Guppies, Neons, Bristlenose and 3 Amano and 4 RCS.

I want to add to the RCS Colony, but we also want a nice centrepiece fish. I was looking at Dwarf Gourami’s but have read that the Shrimps would be chow for them, so don’t know if the Honeys are any more forgiving?

Are you seeing many issues with the Honeys and the RCS?
I have an absolutely booming shrimp colony with my honeys! It's likely they eat a few babies but they have tiny mouths and could never eat an adult. I started with just 2 shrimp and now have... many many many shrimp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SuspiciouslyFishy
Replies
Views
AP1
  • Question
Replies
Views
Avocado
Replies