Stocking 29g Corydoras

1. Max Fish

Max Fish New Member Member

I’m setting up a 29 gallon planted tank!
    Tight schooling fish: 6 rummynose tetras or 12 ember tetras?
    Corydoras: 10 habrosus(salt n pepper) or 6 panda?
    1 Platy or dwarf gourami or
    apistogramma agassizii?

Anyone with success with these catfish have an opinion? They both seem really cool
    Thanks

Eheim 2215
    Sand

2. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

I have absolutely fallen in love with my pandas. They love their sand and stick to it most of the time but will occasionally shoot up to the top and then dive straight back down. Very entertaining.

3. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Here’s what I would do:

8x rummynose tetras (better at schooling and you can fit more than six)
    10x panda corydoras (stay much smaller than peppered, so you can fit more)
    4x platys (prefer being in small groups and you can fit more)

Overall, I love both species of catfish. It’s hard making a decision between the two. Very active and fun to watch :)

4. OP
    OP
    Max Fish

Thanks. I was thinking of the habrosus aka salt and pepper aka checkered cory as opposed to the peppered. It’s one of the three “dwarf” corys and may only be an inch. How big did your pandas get?

5. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I personally love my habrosus with embers, highly reccomend them! However i dont find them to be as tight schooler as rummies...

Instead of the dwarf gourami, consider getting a couple sparkling gouramis to keep it like a nano community?

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I love the nano idea!

Embers don’t school as tightly as rummynoses, but they have beautiful colors when kept in a planted tank or in a tank with a lower pH.

7. OP
    OP
    Max Fish

Do you find the rummynose stay in the lower half of the tank or wouldn’t it matter in a 29 gallon -18” high?

I’d like a nice tight small schooler so to maximize population and behavior. And as many corys as I can and still be happy.
    Thanks for all the feedback

8. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Ah, sorry. Misread that. My pandas got around two inches or less.

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

They will stay in the lower 1/3, while i find embers to float around in the bottom half, rarely going to the surface.

Cardinals may be a good choice, they meant to be a pretty tight schooler and stay pretty small. Another fish worth suggesting with b. Maculatus, i find them to tighly school as well.

10. OP
    OP
    Max Fish

How about Emperor Tetras or Bloodfin? Bloodfins seem to get 2” and seem to school together. I’d like a small school for the middle -Top of water. Emperors would look cool with panda corys. Lots of choices!

11. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

I think you'd be disappointed with Rummynose in such a small school (they're amazing in groups of 50+ though). You may want to consider one of the Danio relatives (CPD and Emerald Rasbora come to mind).