Stocking 29 gallon

Jackkelly

Reaction score
i am looking to add fish to my 29 gallon bowed front tank. Currently it holds a dinosaur bichir, 2 dwarf gouramis, and a Buenos Aires tetra. I just recently lost another Buenos Aires tetra but could not figure out why. I’m looking for fish that will work well and bring movement to the tank as it seems stagnant.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hi there, welcome, I wouldn't really add much more since you have the bichr in there. Since they are ambush predators I would assume your tetra got eaten if you haven't found the body.

Anything that moves fast is usually small and will likely get eaten :)

Also your bichr will need a bigger tank and the gouramis will eventually need to be separated due to aggression between males (which i'm assuming you have males).

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
I found the body of the tetra and it was not attacked, which made me think he died of something internal. The bichir hardly ever comes out from hiding and there have not been any confrontation between him and any fish. He is only around 3 inches long and can't fit any fish in his mouth. And I’m not sure how to sex the gouramis do you have any insight on that?

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
can I send pictures to see if u can tell?

And can you explain why you would be against adding a small school of barbs. Like tiger barbs.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yes, if you send pictures I can probably sex them.

I wouldn't add any more small fish because by nature a bichr will try to eat them, and bichrs often have larger tankmates but your aquarium cannot support that :)

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
If I relocate one of the gouramis do you think it would be good to add another species to the tank?

This is the bichir. He is actually pretty timid for what i heard to be an aggressive fish.

Attachments

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh, hes pretty tiny , you could add a small school of something provided you have a place for either the bichr or the schooling fish as the bichr grows up

You are relocating to a 10 gallon correct?

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
If I have to I will move the gourami to the 10 gallon with some neons. Would you recommend tiger barbs for the 29, that has the bichir a gourami and a single Buenos Aires tetra

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
The Buenos Aires tetra I have was picky with all other fish that I have put him with before. So I was worried putting him with a school would enhance those characteristics.

I currently hold a Buenos Aires tetra, 2 male dwarf gourami and a dinosaur bichir. I plan on relocating one of the male gouramis to a different tank. Would it work if I added 2 or 3 female dwarf gourami?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size tank is it? jinjerJOSH22 is the gourami guy.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe, Dwarfs can be intolerant of other Dwarfs no matter the gender but 2 or 3 females might work out :D

Edit: Just to clarify males might not tolerate females. A group of females would usually be fine.

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
@jingerJOSH22 I have been told by people that they will eventually kill each other. They will nip at each other but nothing more than that. StarGirl15 the tank is 29 gallons

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jackkelly said:
@jingerJOSH22 I have been told by people that they will eventually kill each other. They will nip at each other but nothing more than that. StarGirl15 the tank is 29 gallons
senegal bichirs need at least 140 gallons. Please rehome it.

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
It is 3 inches I plan on moving it when he grows.

Still need advice on gourami

Adding 3 females with 1 male that is already present in the tank. 29 gallon.

New Threads