Stocking 29 Gallon

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
You could do a community, but it’s a brackish fish, not Freshwater. Or at least to be given the best life it needs to be in brackish.
Okay that makes a lot of sense. What about a peacock eel?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
StXWP6 said:
Okay that makes a lot of sense. What about a peacock eel?
Pretty sure those are too big for a 29 gallon..

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
ValerieAdams said:
Pretty sure those are too big for a 29 gallon..
Do you know of any cichlids that could go in a community tank?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
StXWP6 said:
Do you know of any cichlids that could go in a community tank?
I believe you've already been reccomended quite a few? Or at least the ones that would be good in a community tank.

If you were to do a species tank you could do some neolamprologus multifasciatous or Lamprologus ocellatus. A shelly tank would be a load of fun(actually setting one up myself!).

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
I believe you've already been reccomended quite a few? Or at least the ones that would be good in a community tank.

If you were to do a species tank you could do some neolamprologus multifasciatous or Lamprologus ocellatus. A shelly tank would be a load of fun(actually setting one up myself!).
Yeah, I was thinking of maybe doing a species only tank (I feel the idea is pretty cool). any ideas for a species only other than shellies? does not have to be a cichlid

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it were me, I’d likely do a betta only tank. Not a betta splendens, but another species. Perhaps the strawberry betta or macrostoma.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
If it were me, I’d likely do a betta only tank. Not a betta splendens, but another species. Perhaps the strawberry betta or macrostoma.
That looks interesting, would they be something I would need all females for or do they work as male/female tank. Also do they work with smaller fish like white cloud mountain minnows or loaches?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
StXWP6 said:
That looks interesting, would they be something I would need all females for or do they work as male/female tank. Also do they work with smaller fish like white cloud mountain minnows or loaches?
The macrostoma should be kept in a pair or alone(granted buying more at first isn’t a bad thing so they can chose their own partner, but after that you’d want to seperate them). They do best in a species only tank and don’t do best in a community tank. I’d keep them alone or in a pair and have just them.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Another option for species only would be pea puffers.. I believe that was something you were interested in before?

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
ValerieAdams said:
Another option for species only would be pea puffers.. I believe that was something you were interested in before?
How many of those could I put in a 30 gallon? Also are red eyed puffers another option?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
StXWP6 said:
How many of those could I put in a 30 gallon? Also are red eyed puffers another option?
You could put 9 in. Not certain on the red eyes.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:

would I be able to do some Lamprologus callipterus or are they too big?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
StXWP6 said:
would I be able to do some Lamprologus callipterus or are they too big?
I believe you could do 1 male and 2 females in that size tank. I am not certain though, I’d see if anyone else has anymore input and research it some.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
I believe you could do 1 male and 2 females in that size tank. I am not certain though, I’d see if anyone else has anymore input and research it some.
am i able to do African Cichlids or is the tank too small, i feel likr they would be pretty cool

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are able to do some African cichlids. Like the neolmaprologus multifaceitus, but you wouldn’t be able to do A tank like you see with 10-20 different kinds and it’s over stocked.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alright so I have made a decision on one thing, I want to plant the aquarium. I really want to know what substrate is best (I really like gravels but idc). I also want to know what plants would work best in this, I have been looking into java moss, anubias and crypts. Any input you can give will help.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Giul said:
Are you thinking high light or low light? Low lights heater great are amazon swords, temple compacta, wisteria, java ferns, and all the ones you mentioned
I was thinking higher light but i really am not sure, which ones are the lowest maintenance?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom