Stocking 29 Gallon

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking at striped Raphael Catfish and was just wondering what you can put with them because even though they are a catfish, they look to be a good centerpiece! Any help will be appreciated.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Since they can reach 8 inches, thats a no-go in a 29 gallon.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
AquaticJ said:
Since they can reach 8 inches, thats a no-go in a 29 gallon.
Do you know of any catfish (other than plecos and cories) that would work? I saw upside down catfish but I wasn't really sure, what else could I put with them? I was thinking something like a pair of of Bolivian Rams and a pair of Dwarf Gouramis, would that work with some of the suggestions?

Fishoholic23

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Depends. If you like the GBR's than you might also like Apisto's, kribs or Bolivian Rams.

Are there any schooling fish that you are interested in?
Do you want 1 or 2 centerpiece fish and lots of smaller fish, or just bigger fish.

A fun stocking list could be
15x Neon Dwarf Rainbows
2x (Pair) Apistogramma
3x sparkling gourami
1x bristlenose pleco (not for cleaning really, if you think they are cool)
Nerite snails! Good clean up crew.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fishoholic23 said:
Depends. If you like the GBR's than you might also like Apisto's, kribs or Bolivian Rams.

Do you want 1 or 2 centerpiece fish and lots of smaller fish, or just bigger fish.

15x Neon Dwarf Rainbows
2x (Pair) Apistogramma
3x sparkling gourami
I was thinking just fewer but sort of bigger fish

Fishoholic23 said:

15x Neon Dwarf Rainbows
2x (Pair) Apistogramma
3x sparkling gourami
Wayment that actually look like a cool stock

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi mattm - please note, I've merged all of your threads pertaining to this 29 gallon

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I really like the stocking idea fishoholic gave, is there anything wrong with that stock? If so what? If I would keep anything it would be the Rainbows... any help will be appreciated!

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattm said:
Ok, so I really like the stocking idea fishoholic gave, is there anything wrong with that stock? If so what? If I would keep anything it would be the Rainbows... any help will be appreciated!
Dwarf rainbows get around 3 inches, so I don't think there's anyway I would put 15 of them in a 29 gallon. DarkOne what do you think?

Bristlenose plecos aren't temp compatible. Clown plecos are, among some other ones that aren't as readily available. I'm not sure that the sparkling gouramis would work out either.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
ValerieAdams said:
Dwarf rainbows get around 3 inches, so I don't think there's anyway I would put 15 of them in a 29 gallon. DarkOne what do you think?

Bristlenose plecos aren't temp compatible. Clown plecos are, among some other ones that aren't as readily available. I'm not sure that the sparkling gouramis would work out either.
If I were to get about 10 of the Neon Rainbows, then would I be able to put a pair of dwarf gouramis or apistos, and a clown pleco would that work?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattm said:
If I were to get about 10 of the Neon Rainbows, then would I be able to put a pair of dwarf gouramis or apistos, and a clown pleco would that work?
I have no idea about the rainbows. But I can't imagine have ten 3" fish in a 29 gallon. I would start with 6 and see.. If you do the rainbows I would do apistos or german blue rams, they'll occupy different parts of the tank so you'll have more room. So 6 rainbows, pair of apistos or german blue rams, and a clown pleco.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
ValerieAdams said:
I have no idea about the rainbows. But I can't imagine have ten 3" fish in a 29 gallon. I would start with 6 and see.. If you do the rainbows I would do apistos or german blue rams, they'll occupy different parts of the tank so you'll have more room. So 6 rainbows, pair of apistos or german blue rams, and a clown pleco.
Yeah I like that
I'd assume I put them in in this order?
6 Rainbowfish add 3 wait a day and add the rest
Clown pleco after 2-3 weeks
Wait about another month
German blue rams or apistos

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
Yeah I like that
I'd assume I put them in in this order?
6 Rainbowfish add 3 wait a day and add the rest
Clown pleco after 2-3 weeks
Wait about another month
German blue rams or apistos
Yes, I'd do it in that order. I'd put all 6 rainbows in at once though, just monitor the parameters. You could do the clown and dwarfs at the same time since its only 3 fish. I'd add them after 2 weeks from the rainbows. 2 weeks is typically long enough for the filter to get used to the bio load.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
Yes, I'd do it in that order. I'd put all 6 rainbows in at once though, just monitor the parameters. You could do the clown and dwarfs at the same time since its only 3 fish. I'd add them after 2 weeks from the rainbows. 2 weeks is typically long enough for the filter to get used to the bio load.
Thanks! Which would you recommend, the apistos or the GBRs, or maybe even dwarf gouramis?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
Thanks! Which would you recommend, the apistos or the GBRs, or maybe even dwarf gouramis?
I’d personally go with some cockatoos. I’ve always like the triple orange a whole lot and they seem like fun fish. The GBR would work as well though, so whichever you prefer.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
I’d personally go with some cockatoos. I’ve always like the triple orange a whole lot and they seem like fun fish. The GBR would work as well though, so whichever you prefer.
Do electric blue rams have the same compatibility as the GBRs? Because the school I go to has a blue color scheme and I sort of wanted to do some sort of theme.

StXWP6 said:
Do electric blue rams have the same compatibility as the GBRs? Because the school I go to has a blue color scheme and I sort of wanted to do some sort of theme.
Or would something like a blue gourami have the same compatibility as the GBR, or even something like a paradise fish?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
StXWP6 said:
Yes, electric blue rams are just a different color morph. They still require the same temps.

StXWP6 said:
Or would something like a blue gourami have the same compatibility as the GBR, or even something like a paradise fish?
A blue gourami (assuming you're talking about a Three-spot Gourami) has the same temp requirements as the GBR, but need a larger tank. Paradise fish like cooler water than GBRs

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I just noticed that Freshwater Gobies exist, are they a challenging fish to keep or are they good for a semi-beginner (I know what I am doing just haven't done it yet). And If you think I can get one, what type is suitable for a community?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
StXWP6 said:
So I just noticed that Freshwater Gobies exist, are they a challenging fish to keep or are they good for a semi-beginner (I know what I am doing just haven't done it yet). And If you think I can get one, what type is suitable for a community?
What type?

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
ValerieAdams said:
Whoops forgot to include that, I was looking at knight gobies, but if you have a different recommendation, that would be cool.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
StXWP6 said:
Whoops forgot to include that, I was looking at knight gobies, but if you have a different recommendation, that would be cool.
You could do a community, but it’s a brackish fish, not Freshwater. Or at least to be given the best life it needs to be in brackish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom