Stocking 29 Gallon

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Apistogrammas are fun! They’re a little smaller than three inches, but have a lot of personality. I adored watching mine.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Jellibeen said:
Apistogrammas are fun! They’re a little smaller than three inches, but have a lot of personality. I adored watching mine.
How many could I add to a 29 gallon with nothing else? Or would I be able to put something like a dwarf gourami with them?

So I think I have changed my mind over to apistos but I wanted to know what I can keep with them and the M:F ratio? I would also like some sort of pleco... if you can help will you please?

So I dont really care about the schooling fish or bottomfeeders I will figure that out as I go along, but my tank is going to get is 30long, 18high, 12wide. Any help will be appreciated...

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

fishman'iac

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honey gouramis are beautiful, easy to care for and just look great!

Annie59 said:
I personally love Pearl Gouramis, they are really pretty.
Personally I think it’s to small for bigger species like pearl gourami as they get 4-5 inches

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am confused?? Don't you have a couple threads about stocking this tank already??lol did you change your mind about the apistos and the honey gouramis??

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I am confused?? Don't you have a couple threads about stocking this tank already??lol did you change your mind about the apistos and the honey gouramis??
Honestly I'm just trying to find things I like

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok.. well what else.? Do you like goldfish? You could do 2 small fancy Goldie's in a 29 gallon. Or what about scarlet badis? Peacock gudgeons? Pea puffers?? German blue Rams?
I really like gouramis...

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, yes I’ve noticed this as well! OP I’d suggest having just one thread titled “29 gallon stock ideas” or similar so that everyone will know what’s already been reccomended and can start reccomending things more specific to what you want. Or you can just get a ton of ideas in one thread.

Per your question in this thread, I personally like ansorgiis. They are fun and a good community fish for the docile community.

I also like chocolate gouramis and they should do well in a 29 gallon. They are a beautiful fish.

I’d also consider doing a shelly tank with perhaps a few other fish that do not go near the bottom. I’ve always thought a large shelly tank would be very interesting.

A puffer would be a intriguing fish as well. I believe a puffer tank would be quite enjoyable to watch/interact with.

BettaBeetlesandBugs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Maybe an electric blue acara, although it might get a bit larger than anticipated.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
lol, yes I’ve noticed this as well! OP I’d suggest having just one thread titled “29 gallon stock ideas” or similar so that everyone will know what’s already been reccomended and can start reccomending things more specific to what you want. Or you can just get a ton of ideas in one thread.

Per your question in this thread, I personally like ansorgiis. They are fun and a good community fish for the docile community.

I also like chocolate gouramis and they should do well in a 29 gallon. They are a beautiful fish.

I’d also consider doing a shelly tank with perhaps a few other fish that do not go near the bottom. I’ve always thought a large shelly tank would be very interesting.

A puffer would be a intriguing fish as well. I believe a puffer tank would be quite enjoyable to watch/interact with.
Lol thanks, maybe that's what I'll use this one for!
I have already thought about puffers, specifically Amazon puffers but I've read that they get pretty expensive to feed. But if I can commit myself to that I would enjoy it. But what tankmates might work with Amazon puffers? I know I said I wouldn't ask for tankmates but they actually seem interesting... also how many would I get?
But also chocolate Gouramis seem like they would be cool and what would work with them?

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What size tank would this be happening in?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
Lol thanks, maybe that's what I'll use this one for!
I have already thought about puffers, specifically Amazon puffers but I've read that they get pretty expensive to feed. But if I can commit myself to that I would enjoy it. But what tankmates might work with Amazon puffers? I know I said I wouldn't ask for tankmates but they actually seem interesting... also how many would I get?
But also chocolate Gouramis seem like they would be cool and what would work with them?
I don’t know puffers to to well so can’t offer mutch help, but I do know if you were to do a puffer it’d have to be a species tank. Puffers don’t mix well with other types of fish and it typicaly ends in the death of the other fish. Puffer tanks are still a lot of fun though, there was one member who had a humpback puffer(I think that was the one) and it was a really cool thread to follow.

The chocolate gouramis are like the honeys in the fact they’ll need a group. 6 would be best for them. You’ll also need very docile fish to go alongside them. I’d suggest a shoal of cories or some small and calm rasboras. I believe Anders247 has more knowledge on them than I.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
I don’t know puffers to to well so can’t offer mutch help, but I do know if you were to do a puffer it’d have to be a species tank. Puffers don’t mix well with other types of fish and it typicaly ends in the death of the other fish. Puffer tanks are still a lot of fun though, there was one member who had a humpback puffer(I think that was the one) and it was a really cool thread to follow.

The chocolate gouramis are like the honeys in the fact they’ll need a group. 6 would be best for them. You’ll also need very docile fish to go alongside them. I’d suggest a shoal of cories or some small and calm rasboras. I believe Anders247 has more knowledge on them than I.
is there any way I could do just like one slightly bigger gourami, like the Pearl or Opaline gourami? and if so what could I put with it?

Just wanted to see if this will work...

Idea 1
1x Pearl/Opaline Gourami (Which works better?)
12-15x Neon Tetras
1x Clown or BN Pleco

Idea 2
2x GBRs
2x Dwarf Gourami
8x Black Neon Tetra
1x BN Pleco

Which will work just say either 1 or 2 and if something needs to change about one of them please don't hesitate to let me know!

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
is there any way I could do just like one slightly bigger gourami, like the Pearl or Opaline gourami? and if so what could I put with it?
mattm said:
Just wanted to see if this will work...

Idea 1
1x Pearl/Opaline Gourami (Which works better?)
12-15x Neon Tetras
1x Clown or BN Pleco

Idea 2
2x GBRs
2x Dwarf Gourami
8x Black Neon Tetra
1x BN Pleco

Which will work just say either 1 or 2 and if something needs to change about one of them please don't hesitate to let me know!
The pearl/opaline need a 36” length and unfortunately a 29 gallon is 6” short of that, so I wouldn’t suggest stock 1

Stock 2 is more doable, but I’d up the neons, take one ram away, and switch to Bolivians. You’ll also need to ensure that you have a female and male gourami, if you can’t get a female just do one gourami. The Germans will not work well because of temp incompatibility with the bn and neons, Bolivian rams will be right in the correct temp zone though. The reason I say to knock one of the rams off is because if you get two and they are not a pair they’ll have disputes over territory. In a 29 gallon I don’t believe there’d be much room for them both to have a territory. This is the stock I’d suggest-
2 dwarf gourami(m/f)
12 black neons
1 boli ram
1 bn

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
The pearl/opaline need a 36” length and unfortunately a 29 gallon is 6” short of that, so I wouldn’t suggest stock 1

Stock 2 is more doable, but I’d up the neons, take one ram away, and switch to Bolivians. You’ll also need to ensure that you have a female and male gourami, if you can’t get a female just do one gourami. The Germans will not work well because of temp incompatibility with the bn and neons, Bolivian rams will be right in the correct temp zone though. The reason I say to knock one of the rams off is because if you get two and they are not a pair they’ll have disputes over territory. In a 29 gallon I don’t believe there’d be much room for them both to have a territory. This is the stock I’d suggest-
2 dwarf gourami(m/f)
12 black neons
1 boli ram
1 bn
Thanks that definitly looks doable, would you recommend a male BR?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
Thanks that definitly looks doable, would you recommend a male BR?
Male or female, either one would be fine.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
kayla.s said:
What size tank would this be happening in?
29 gallon

So I would much rather have a couple of medium sized fish than a community type aquarium and really like German Blue Rams, I know I can put dwarf gouramis with them but i feel like 2 GBRs and 2 DGs will feel pretty empty, are there any fish I can put in to add a little more life to a tank like this while keeping the same theme for size of fish? I am also fine with switching the GBRs for Bolivian Rams.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you wanting to try breed them? If so then I'd do 1 male with like 2 females just in case one of the females doesnt like him visa versa. It also depends on which species of apisto you're wanting to keep though

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom