Stocking 29 Gallon

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
I wouldn’t do an angel with kuhlis, the temp difference is to much. If you were to ditch the kuhlis and go with a warm water cory then you could do a general middle schooler. Like cardinal tetras. They are common and can handle the warm water angels need.

Just a thought, but it seems like you keep wanting fish that you can’t typically get at pet stores. Have you considered ordering all your fish online? That way you’d get the worth of the shipping and get all the fish you want.
I have a store by my house with everything I have been listing, that is where I am getting the ideas...

bizaliz3 said:
A 29 gallon is not big enough for an angel to share with 12-16 other fish.

Maybe one small school of 6...

29 gallon is bare minimum for an angel. Almost too small. So if you want an angel, i would just do the angel and bottom dwellers only.
If I were to get Honey Gouramis instead would that work with large schools, I plan to do a planted tank so if you have any plant recommendations as well that would be nice

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
I have a store by my house with everything I have been listing, that is where I am getting the ideas...
Perhaps I misunderstood then, yes I would suggest honeys over the angels.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
Perhaps I misunderstood then, yes I would suggest honeys over the angels.
So 2-3 Honeys? Does their have to be a specific Male:Female ratio?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Honey's are usually very peaceful, but try not to have two males

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
So 2-3 Honeys? Does their have to be a specific Male:Female ratio?
I’d do 3-5, I don’t believe the ratio matters to much. Of course if you can get a higher female ratio that’d be a bit better, but it isn’t entirely necessary from what I understand. I’d probably down the size of the middle school a bit though, to around 10.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I am getting a 29 gallon and am planning on using a HOB filter the Aquaclear 50 to be exact, plus a sponge filter in the opposite side of the tank. WIll this stocking list work?
4-5x Honey Gouramis
12x Cardinal or Neon Tetras (Which is better?)
4-5x Kuhli Loaches
Will this work? If not what should I change? I am planning on using smaller gravel.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd do more like 3 honey gouramis, and neon tetras because they have more similar temps. And probably 12-15 kuhlies. Then keep it around 74F

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I second ValerieAdams.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honeys do best in larger groups, so I would suggest getting 4 honeys and have the other fish at schools of 10. I do third that neon tetras would be better than cardinals.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can I just run this through?
29 Gallon
Aquaclear 50
Sponge built for 20 Gallon
74 Fahrenheit
4x Honey Gouramis
8x Neon Tetras
8x Lemon Tetras
1x Rubbernose Pleco

Dan12boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about it but you can use AqAdvisor to check your stocking

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You're gonna be pretty crowded in the upper level with two schools and that many honeys. I would do one school

georgelee1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you are ok with the stocking. If you want you can make one big school rather than 2 small one. But 2 small schools should work ok in a 29.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with valarie, I’d stick to 1 mid-high school since the honeys aren’t a traditional schooler, but still require a group. A stock with one school, the honeys, and a rubber nose would be still be a nice tank.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Platylover said:
I agree with valarie, I’d stick to 1 mid-high school since the honeys aren’t a traditional schooler, but still require a group. A stock with one school, the honeys, and a rubber nose would be still be a nice tank.
Which school will work better? I like the look of the lemons but the neons are much easier to get

+ how many?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d do 10-12 of the school and either the neon or the lemons. I believe both would work equally well, so it’s really up to which one you want to get.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would up the number of kuhli loaches to 8-10 and do 3-4 honey gouramis. Both cardinal tetras and neon tetras would work, but personally I would go with cardinals because neon tetras are usually pretty sensitive. Plus, I prefer the appearance of the cardinals over the neons.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with the suggestions on increasing the amount of kuhli's. I have 6 and need some more! They are super cool. Give them ample "hiding spots" and in my experience they actually become more at ease and come out a lot during the day.

I would include a Bolivian Ram and a Clown Pleco also if you like those.

AC50 is a great choice!

This is how I stuff the media basket in one of my AC30's. It's very similar, but about 1-2" less wide....

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welp I think I finally have decided to go not with a community 29 gallon but with a couple of medium sized fish (3 inches)... and was just wondering what types of stock I can do with that and how you recommend I set the tank up?

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Killifish are really nice and some are fairly flashy. I am thinking for an only fish in a tank, it might not be active enough. I guess when I think of one or two fish, I think of goldfish.
Goldfish are friendly and personable and that is a great size for one of the fancy goldfish. Ultimately, it is your decision.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom