Stocking 29 Gallon - Page 5

StXWP6

Platylover said:
You could do a community, but it’s a brackish fish, not Freshwater. Or at least to be given the best life it needs to be in brackish.
Okay that makes a lot of sense. What about a peacock eel?

ValerieAdams

StXWP6 said:
Okay that makes a lot of sense. What about a peacock eel?
Pretty sure those are too big for a 29 gallon..

StXWP6

ValerieAdams said:
Pretty sure those are too big for a 29 gallon..
Do you know of any cichlids that could go in a community tank?

Platylover

StXWP6 said:
Do you know of any cichlids that could go in a community tank?
I believe you've already been reccomended quite a few? Or at least the ones that would be good in a community tank.

If you were to do a species tank you could do some neolamprologus multifasciatous or Lamprologus ocellatus. A shelly tank would be a load of fun(actually setting one up myself!).

StXWP6

Platylover said:
I believe you've already been reccomended quite a few? Or at least the ones that would be good in a community tank.

If you were to do a species tank you could do some neolamprologus multifasciatous or Lamprologus ocellatus. A shelly tank would be a load of fun(actually setting one up myself!).
Yeah, I was thinking of maybe doing a species only tank (I feel the idea is pretty cool). any ideas for a species only other than shellies? does not have to be a cichlid

david1978

StXWP6

david1978 said:
I've always wanted to do buck tooth tetras. Mean little suckers.
I have been thinking of something like that, the thought of a predator seems rather entertaining. Do you know of other predators I can put in a 29?

Platylover

If it were me, I’d likely do a betta only tank. Not a betta splendens, but another species. Perhaps the strawberry betta or macrostoma.

StXWP6

Platylover said:
If it were me, I’d likely do a betta only tank. Not a betta splendens, but another species. Perhaps the strawberry betta or macrostoma.
That looks interesting, would they be something I would need all females for or do they work as male/female tank. Also do they work with smaller fish like white cloud mountain minnows or loaches?

Platylover

StXWP6 said:
That looks interesting, would they be something I would need all females for or do they work as male/female tank. Also do they work with smaller fish like white cloud mountain minnows or loaches?
The macrostoma should be kept in a pair or alone(granted buying more at first isn’t a bad thing so they can chose their own partner, but after that you’d want to separate them). They do best in a species only tank and don’t do best in a community tank. I’d keep them alone or in a pair and have just them.

ValerieAdams

Another option for species only would be pea puffers.. I believe that was something you were interested in before?

StXWP6

ValerieAdams said:
Another option for species only would be pea puffers.. I believe that was something you were interested in before?
How many of those could I put in a 30 gallon? Also are red eyed puffers another option?

Platylover

StXWP6 said:
How many of those could I put in a 30 gallon? Also are red eyed puffers another option?
You could put 9 in. Not certain on the red eyes.

StXWP6

Platylover said:

would I be able to do some Lamprologus callipterus or are they too big?

Platylover

StXWP6 said:
would I be able to do some Lamprologus callipterus or are they too big?
I believe you could do 1 male and 2 females in that size tank. I am not certain though, I’d see if anyone else has anymore input and research it some.

StXWP6

Platylover said:
I believe you could do 1 male and 2 females in that size tank. I am not certain though, I’d see if anyone else has anymore input and research it some.
am I able to do African Cichlids or is the tank too small, I feel likr they would be pretty cool

Platylover

You are able to do some African cichlids. Like the neolmaprologus multifaceitus, but you wouldn’t be able to do A tank like you see with 10-20 different kinds and it’s over stocked.

StXWP6

Alright so I have made a decision on one thing, I want to plant the aquarium. I really want to know what substrate is best (I really like gravels but idc). I also want to know what plants would work best in this, I have been looking into java moss, anubias and crypts. Any input you can give will help.

Giul

Are you thinking high light or low light? Low lights heater great are amazon swords, temple compacta, wisteria, java ferns, and all the ones you mentioned

StXWP6

Giul said:
Are you thinking high light or low light? Low lights heater great are amazon swords, temple compacta, wisteria, java ferns, and all the ones you mentioned
I was thinking higher light but I really am not sure, which ones are the lowest maintenance?

Giul

StXWP6 said:
I was thinking higher light but I really am not sure, which ones are the lowest maintenance?
The low lights are the lowest maintenance for me

StXWP6

alright so I think I've got the stocking nailed down but I just want to double check my equipment for the tank to see if it works.
I am getting an Aquaclear 50, a 150 Watt heater + Digital Thermometer, Aqueon LED full hood 30", Aqueon 40 air pump + air stone. please let me know if any of this doesn't work. Also what type of substrate would be good for a planted tank and or plants? I really like the look of Java moss/fern and anubias. Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
P.S. I didnt include the python/net and those types of things.

Platylover

All the plants you listed are column feeders, so they wouldn't be in the substrate really. So the substrate doesn't matter. I personally like sand as you can get it real cheap and it looks very nice. Sand works well for root feeders as well, you can use some root tabs to add nutrients to substrate that don't have nutrients already in it. Or you could do a dirt cap or a plant type substrate. Not certain what plant substrate are good though.

ValerieAdams

StXWP6 said:
alright so I think I've got the stocking nailed down but I just want to double check my equipment for the tank to see if it works.
I am getting an Aquaclear 50, a 150 Watt heater + Digital Thermometer, Aqueon LED full hood 30", Aqueon 40 air pump + air stone. please let me know if any of this doesn't work. Also what type of substrate would be good for a planted tank and or plants? I really like the look of Java moss/fern and anubias. Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
P.S. I didnt include the python/net and those types of things.
I wouldn't get a digital thermometer, I've tried three and they've all been very inaccurate and you can get one of the Marineland or Aqueon thermometers for a few dollars. I'd save some money and not get the air pump/stone too, unless you just want it

StXWP6

Welp I'm back again... being indecisive as always, and I just wanted to know what I could keep with Peacock Gudgeons, I was thinking something like this...
3-4x Honey Gouramis
6-8x Schooler
4-6x Peacock Gudgeons
1x Clown or BN Pleco
Thanks any help is appreciated and I will gladly remove the schoolers if necessary.

StXWP6

k then

ValerieAdams

StXWP6 said:
Welp I'm back again... being indecisive as always, and I just wanted to know what I could keep with Peacock Gudgeons, I was thinking something like this...
3-4x Honey Gouramis
6-8x Schooler
4-6x Peacock Gudgeons
1x Clown or BN Pleco
Thanks any help is appreciated and I will gladly remove the schoolers if necessary.
I think that's probably overstocked for a 29..
StXWP6 said:
?

Platylover

StXWP6 said:
3-4x Honey Gouramis
6-8x Schooler
4-6x Peacock Gudgeons
1x Clown or BN Pleco
I think you could do the stock if you remove the school.
StXWP6 said:
I am also unsure what this is about? Is it because you didn’t get an answer right away?

StXWP6

ok so I'm back, and I just wanted to ask what would be a centerpiece fish compatible with a school of 6 or 7 M. Praecox, I am not planning on putting anything else in the tank, but I was looking at A. Cacatuoides. Thanks ahead of time and any help is appreciated!

Platylover

You could do a bolI ram or cockatoo pair with them.

StXWP6

Platylover said:
You could do a bolI ram or cockatoo pair with them.
Ok that really helps! I really wanted to do a pair of cockatoos but just wanted to see if it would work first. Based on what I've seen 78-79F would work best? correct me if I'm wrong

Platylover

yes, 78 should be fine.

StXWP6

Platylover said:
yes, 78 should be fine.
would I be able to replace the A. Cacatuoides with any type of apisto?

Platylover

StXWP6 said:
would I be able to replace the A. Cacatuoides with any type of apisto?
No, different species require different requirements. If you are interested in one you can look into if it’d work though.

Top Bottom