Stocking 29 Gallon

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I know what I want as a Centerpiece, 2 female GBRs (Unless if that wont work, let me know), and then I was hoping for 1 or 2 schools, one of those two being cories, and then just some other fish, recommendations? Also plants for this tank? ANY, any help, is appreciated.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rummy nose tetras are cool schooling fish. Not sure of temp differences though. I have cories and neons and rummies and Rams seem to be the suggested centerpiece I keep getting.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So i am steering away from the GBRs even though they are beautiful i feel they would be too challenging, but i feel like Honey Gouramis would be a good direction to go because of their higher compatibility with a community.
So the point of this post however is to ask what is a good community stocking for a 29 gallon tank with Honey Gourami(s) as the centerpiece?
Since I am relatively new to this hobby any help will be appreciated and I will try to respond as much as possible.
Thanks!

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pretty much any peaceful tetra would be compatible with the honeys (no Serpae Tetra), danios, livebearers (guppies, platties, etc), shrimp, snails, corydoras, most algae eaters, all of those are great tankmates. I would just choose a schooling fish that is smaller than the honey so that they really stand out.

What kind of fish are you interested in? If you have any specific ones in mind we can let you know how many would be a good fit in that tank

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Giul said:
Pretty much any peaceful tetra would be compatible with the honeys (no Serpae Tetra), danios, livebearers (guppies, platties, etc), shrimp, snails, corydoras, most algae eaters, all of those are great tankmates. I would just choose a schooling fish that is smaller than the honey so that they really stand out.

What kind of fish are you interested in? If you have any specific ones in mind we can let you know how many would be a good fit in that tank
I really like Lemon, Rummynose and Black Skirt Tetras for schooling fish but if those don't work let me know otherwise. I also dont really want any of the fish to steal the spotlight from the Gourami...
I would really want all levels of the tank to be filled in so if one area of the tank isn't filled (not packed or anything just is always moving) please let me know different types of fish for that if possible.
Thanks!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Rasboras? I was also thinking about that but wasn't sure.

Would this stocking work?
3x Honey Gouramis
6-8x Harlequin Rasboras
6-8x Lemon Tetras
1x Pleco (Not Common Pleco, but please let me know what would work)

If this stocking does work what order would you recommend I stock them in?

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattm said:
Would this stocking work?
3x Honey Gouramis
6-8x Harlequin Rasboras
6-8x Lemon Tetras
1x Pleco (Not Common Pleco, but please let me know what would work)

If this stocking does work what order would you recommend I stock them in?
I’m not sure about the number of fish but the lemon tetras and Rasboras would definitely work! I’d reccomend a clown, rubberlip, or a bristlenose pleco

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey, I breed Rams and live near you by the way.!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticJ said:
Hey, I breed Rams and live near you by the way.!
I know where I would get my GBR if I was you !

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rummy nose tetras are my favourites. :,)

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I think I have finally decided my stock, but now I need to know the order.
My stocking list is
3x Honey Gourami
7x Harlequin Rasboras
7x Lemon Tetras
1x Clown Pleco

Now I just need to know what order to put them in the tank, i was thinking this...
1. Rasboras
2. Gouramis
3. Tetras
4. Pleco
Let me know if this won't work, I was going to use the Tetra Safe Start so I need to use the Rasboras first because they are a very hardy fish.
If you have any help to offer please do, I don't want to do something wrong and cause my whole community trouble.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi! Is your tank cycled or is this fish in cycling you are contemplating?

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
Hi! Is your tank cycled or is this fish in cycling you are contemplating?
I do not have my tank yet, but I wanted to learn ahead of time so I can know.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you can add them in whatever order really, the only thing I’d add last would be the honeys as gouramis in general can be a little territorial. Granted honeys aren’t like typical gourami, so they’d likely be fine to add in earlier as well.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So Honey Gouramis are very difficult to get ahold of...
So I wanted to ask what some centerpiece fish are for a 29 gallon my stocking list right now is this:
1-3x Centerpiece Fish (Depending on size/compatibility)
7x Ember Tetra
6x Guppies or 6x Cardinal Tetras
1x Clown Pleco
if something isn't compatible please let me know and please leave your best centerpiece recommendations!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For your centerpiece you could look at petco for honey’s, mine usually has them all the time. If you still can’t find them you could do any other dwarf gourami or some full sized gouramis too. Powder blues are my favorite dwarf, and the full size ones i like opaline gouramis and blue (also called three spot) gouramis. Also for that tank size you may want to consider bristlenose plecos, they don’t get as big.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
nikm128 said:
For your centerpiece you could look at petco for honey’s, mine usually has them all the time. If you still can’t find them you could do any other dwarf gourami or some full sized gouramis too. Powder blues are my favorite dwarf, and the full size ones i like opaline gouramis and blue (also called three spot) gouramis. Also for that tank size you may want to consider bristlenose plecos, they don’t get as big.
Ive read that clown plecos also stay relatively small. Thanks for the Centerpiece recommendations!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom