Stocking 29 Gallon

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattm said:
would I be able to replace the cories with panda cories?
No, panda cories like temps of around 72-74, angels are 78-80. Flag tail pandas can work but they are expensive and not easily found

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So how long in between stockings?

Would I be able to add Kuhli Loaches and take something out?
If so what?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would HIGHLY recommend QT tank/time. So if you did that, after your tank is cycled you could add the cories to your display and get the pleco or tetras to put in the QT, you'd want to QT for a few weeks.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could make the cory cat school down to 5 and add 4 kuli loaches.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Regarding angelfish in a 29....I struggle with that because while I do agree its small for an angel, I do personally use 29 gallon tanks as my spawning tanks. But when the angels are not being used for spawning, they live in 40,46,55 or 75. The 29 is not a good permanent home for 2. And it is a tight squeeze for one. If you are looking for a nice full community tank, and 29 gallon is the biggest you can go, I would scratch the angelfish.

DaloAquatics said:
Ok. I just wanted to make sure, and I agree that they won't do water changes for you, but they will take care of some algae for you
And then they leave behind a massive amount of poop. So the fish keeper has to decide if they want to add a ton of poop/a significantly higher bioload, just to have one fish that eats a little bit of algae. In my opinion, plecos should never ever ever be purchased for the sole purpose of being a cleaner fish. They are the exact opposite of a cleaner fish. They should only be purchased if the fish keeper likes plecos. I feel strongly about that.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
Regarding angelfish in a 29....I struggle with that because while I do agree its small for an angel, I do personally use 29 gallon tanks as my spawning tanks. But when the angels are not being used for spawning, they live in 40,46,55 or 75. The 29 is not a good permanent home for 2. And it is a tight squeeze for one. If you are looking for a nice full community tank, and 29 gallon is the biggest you can go, I would scratch the angelfish.

And then they leave behind a massive amount of poop. So the fish keeper has to decide if they want to add a ton of poop/a significantly higher bioload, just to have one fish that eats a little bit of algae. In my opinion, plecos should never ever ever be purchased for the sole purpose of being a cleaner fish. They are the exact opposite of a cleaner fish. They should only be purchased if the fish keeper likes plecos. I feel strongly about that.
what would you recommend instead of an angelfish with the same water parameters, because I like all the other fish

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
what would you recommend instead of an angelfish with the same water parameters, because I like all the other fish
I don't know. Maybe a gourami? Or a couple rams?

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
I don't know. Maybe a gourami? Or a couple rams?
Ive read that rams like really warm water though, or is that jusr GBRs

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
Ive read that rams like really warm water though, or is that jusr GBRs
They like the same temp as angelfish....80-82f

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
AquStockImage.php?N=&L=30.25&D=12.5&H=18.png

Would this work?

mattm said:

Would this work?
Or should I go with more gbrs

bizaliz3 said:

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:

Would this work?
I would pick something other than the serape tetras as your schooling fish. They like their water a bit cooler. And they are kinda on the bigger end. For a 29 gallon I would go for a smaller schooling fish. My favorite is rummynoses all the way.

mattm said:
No, I would do no more than 2.

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
mattm said:
I wouldn't do more than a pair in a 29 gallon community.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
I would pick something other than the serape tetras as your schooling fish. They like their water a bit cooler. And they are kinda on the bigger end. For a 29 gallon I would go for a smaller schooling fish. My favorite is rummynoses all the way.

No, I would do no more than 2.
would this stocking work?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
would this stocking work?
Yes! I think that would be a great stock for a 29 gallon.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
Yes! I think that would be a great stock for a 29 gallon.
With this stocking what order would you recommend i add the in

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stock looks good. But I would add one more kuhli loach.

For stocking order, you should do the kuhli loaches first, albino cories second, rummynose tetras third, and german blue rams last. When you add in the GBRs, make sure that your tank is at least 3 months since you finished cycling your tank.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm said:
With this stocking what order would you recommend i add the in
Whatever you do...the rams should not be added until your tank is very well established. They are sensitive fish. The rest....I don't think the order matters.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah so... if you have been active in this forum you may have seen my posts and I just wanted to run this through and see if it works

2x Female GBRs
5x Kuhli Loaches
8x Rummynose Tetras
6x Albino Cories

if i have to change anything or if you have change recommendations please let me know. I am going for a bright colorful tank.

Also, any plant recommendations?

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That may be overstocked or bottom heavy, and i’d personally go with 1 school or either corys or kuhlis. Not 100% sure however.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a 29 you may want to consider doing the cories or the kuhlis since they are both bottom dwellers. GBRs also occupy the bottom 1/3 of the tanks so it may get crowded with all 3 at the bottom. GBRs also prefer warmer water so I would choose the Kuhli Loaches or choose a warm water cory like the Sterbai.

Also are you looking for low tech plants? If so I like amazon swords since they grow very full. Besides that I like Java ferns and Anubias since they’re all easy to grow. I also let anacharis float in my tank because it gives it a bit of a jungle look. Planted tanks look so good, let us know what you decide!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads