Stocking 29 Gallon

• Thread starter StXWP6
  • Start date

StXWP6

I recently purchased a 29 gallon and just started cycling it. I was hoping to get my stocking planned before the cycle was finished so I can have the fish ready ASAP (its hard to be this patient)
My stocking list is...
2x Dwarf GouramI OR GBRs
6-8x Harlequin Rasboras
6-8x Rummynose Tetras
4-6x SterbaI Corys
1x Sailfin pleco

Please let me know if this works or if not, and what to change if not.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Everything works but the sailfin pleco. Sailfin plecos get big so maybe chose a clown or bristle nose pleco. Good luck

Nataku

Well Known
mattm a pair of GBRs would be the better choice over two dwarf gouramis. Dwarf gouramI are pugnacious little snots who will fight with each other if they are both male and your odds of finding a female in a pet store is very very low. They usually don't sell them because they are not as pretty as the boys. Also look up DGIV before purchasing a dwarf gourami.
Also seconding a clown or bristlenose pleco would be a better fit for your tank size. If you want impressive fins on the pleco get a long fin bristlenose pleco. They come in several colors morphs and with the long fins are quite a pretty fish that won't get too big for a 29. Make sure you have driftwood in there for them.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
I wouldn't do 2 dwarf gouramis unless you could find females, which are really rare. The sailfin pleco would get to about 17-18" inches, so it isn't ideal for it to be kept in a 29 gallon. I'd rehome it. Also, the sterbaI cories need to be in groups of at least 6; they're very social.

I'd do:

8 harlequin rasboras
8 rummynose tetras
3-4 honey gouramis or 1 dwarf gouramI or 2 DG (1M/1F or 2F)
6-8 sterbaI cories
1 clown pleco or 2 GBRs (1M/1F or 2F)

georgelee1000

Well Known
Yea I agree. Only 1 dwarf gourami. Period. Unless you wanna run into fighting problems.

StXWP6

yeah so...
I am getting a 29 gallon tank and am hoping to get either a breeding pair of GBRs or BRs and was hoping to get some tank mates for a community.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
If you are aiming to breed the best tank mates are no tank mates. If you’re trying to setup a nice display with maybe a chance for fry. Planted heavily with lemon tetras and lots of them.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
If you get GBR make sure all others are good at 82f...The GBR should not really be kept lower.
Rummy nose and Cardinals are most common tank mates .
Bolivians are good at 76 so you have a wider selection of mates .

StXWP6

would this work?
AquStockImage.php?N=&L=30.25&D=12.25&H=18.png

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
It could . Besides the lemons none of the fish on list including GBR should be put in new tanks .
They are all sensitive enough to demand a seasoned tank of 3-6 months old usually.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
It very well could work; the only way to know is try it! My preference is more of one type schooling fish looks better than two half the size.

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus are a great alternative and highly underrated in my opinion. You get a similar body structure albeit less color. They are much hardier and less skittish in my estimations.

Nataku

Well Known
The ottos will not work in the temps that the GBRs will need to thrive and breed. So remove those from your potential stocking list.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
The otos need cooler water than the GBRs, so I would take those out. Also, you could up the school for lemon tetras and rummies to 8 each.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Or do like 20 rummynose!

StXWP6

So the title basically says it, but I was trying to get either a cichlid community or just a cichlid tank, I was looking at firemouth cichlids and or GBRs and was wondering what they are compatible with.
Thanks any help is appreciated since I am relatively new to this hobby.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
The only Community Cichlids for a 29 gallon I can think of would be Shell Dwellers, which are African Cichlids. Otherwise you can’t really do a community of Cichlids unless you had at least 55 gallons.

Rainbows and Fishes

I would definitely not suggest that as they are dramatically different sizes, you usually want to go with species and individuals of similar size to prevent bullying. I also agree with AquaticJ that is a little small of a tank. I do think you could keep a pair of dwarf cichlids in that volume and still have room for some more fish however.

As far as GBR are concerned I'd say any semI peaceful to peaceful fish that could fit comfortably in the tank would do as long as there isn't crowding they are very friendly. I wouldn't suggest placing them with unpaired individuals of their own species or other cichlids however due to aggression.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
The problem with Blue Rams in a community is that they don’t have too many compatible tank mates because of their temp requirements. They should be kept from 82-86.

StXWP6

So I'm planning on getting a 29 gallon tank and stocking it with mbunas.
I was just going to ask a few questions.
1) What do you feed to your mbunas
2) how many can I keep in a 29 gallon
3) can I keep a pleco with them
4) where are some websites you buy cichlids from that are trustworthy

Thanks any help will be appreciated

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
I have kept an overstocked mbuna tank for 30 years...50 gallon minimum for these guys.

StXWP6

KimberlyG said:
I have kept an overstocked mbuna tank for 30 years...50 gallon minimum for these guys.
are there any types of cichlids I can do?

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Yes there are. You could do two angelfish. I believe that you could also do two electric blue acaras. There are other small cichlids like apistogramma that could work as well.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known
I thought I was doing alright with about 6 or 7 garden variety mbuna (from the buy 5 for $5 tank) all raised from juvenile, however there was so much competition for space that I was got tired and worried watching them chase each other all day. I did wind up with two breeding pairs though; that was cool, except that I discovered the brooding mothers as I was gutting the tank to go a whole new direction.

Rainbows and Fishes

I'd suggest Bolivian Rams, they are far more adaptable and live easily at normal temps for other tropical fish.

StXWP6

I know I've been posting a lot, but you can never ask too many questions.
Is there a stocking list anyone has for an Angelfish Community?
I was hoping to have 2 angelfish, at least one school maybe two, and some sort of cleaner.
I just wanted a stocking list and what order would be best to add them in.
Thanks, any help is appreciated

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Stocking:
-2 angelfish
-6 albino cory catfish
-1 longfin bristle nose pleco (Normal if you can't find longfin, they can be hard to find)
-6 serpae tetras

Order to add them
-angelfish
-bristle nose
-cory cats
-serpae tetras

You might be able to add 1 or 2 more small fish if you want. Hope this helps

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
I definitely would not recommend two angelfish in a 29 gallon. That's the minimum size for one. The can get to be 6 to 8 inches tall, and IMO that's just to small of a tank. They can be very aggressive towards each other too, if you want to do just one I imagine it would be doable! Add the least aggressive fish you pick first, the most aggressive last!

Annie59

Well Known
Too many angels. One at the most if it were me. Leave out second angel then add your school. Add the smaller fish first in this case. The angels can and most of the time are the more aggrisive fish.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
At 29 is not a suitable size for even 1 angel.

StXWP6

Annie59 said:
Too many angels. One at the most if it were me. Leave out second angel then add your school. Add the smaller fish first in this case. The angels can and most of the time are the more aggrisive fish.
so something like thisAquStockImage.php?N=&L=30.25&D=12.5&H=18.png
In this order?
-Serpae
-Angelfish
-Cory
-Pleco

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
mattm said:
so something like thisAquStockImage.php?N=&L=30.25&D=12.5&H=18.png
In this order?
-Serpae
-Angelfish
-Cory
-Pleco
Bristlenose aren't temp compatible, nor are they a "cleaner". They are very messy fish. A clown pleco will work with that temp for the angel, but you should only get a pleco if you want a pleco and like how they look, not because they may eat algae.

I would stock cories, pleco, serpae, angelfish.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
ValerieAdams I completely disagree with your statement that plecos won't help. Once my 55 was having a algae problem and I got a pleco and he completely got rid of all the algae on his own. And yes I did feed him but he was great and I still have him. I made a forum about this here:
To All The Pleco Haters Out There....

Also BTW the oscars and BP and Flowerhorn are now in a 130 Gallon

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
DaloAquatics said:
ValerieAdams I completely disagree with your statement that plecos won't help. Once my 55 was having a algae problem and I got a pleco and he completely got rid of all the algae on his own. And yes I did feed him but he was great and I still have him. I made a forum about this here:
To All The Pleco Haters Out There....

Also BTW the oscars and BP and Flowerhorn are now in a 130 Gallon
I wasn't meaning that they won't eat algae. Yes, bn plecos will eat algae. But they aren't "cleaners", they won't clean the tank (other than eating some algae) and they create A LOT of waste. But bn plecos aren't temp compatible with angels, clown plecos are but their diet isn't really algae. Though they may still eat some

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Ok. I just wanted to make sure, and I agree that they won't do water changes for you, but they will take care of some algae for you

StXWP6

How long would you recommend in between stocking

Annie59

Well Known
Thunder_o_b said:
At 29 is not a suitable size for even 1 angel.
I have to disagree with this. I think a 29 is ok, is a bigger tank better? Yup, but I think the 29 would be ok for one.
But this again is just my opinion.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
What about:
1 Angel
6-8 Cardinal tetras, serpae tetras, or cherry barbs
6-8 sterbai, bronze or albino cories
1 clown pleco (you'll need driftwood) or 2 nerite snails
Annie59 said:
I have to disagree with this. I think a 29 is ok, is a bigger tank better? Yup, but I think the 29 would be ok for one.
But this again is just my opinion.
I was going to put an angel in my 29 gallon until I saw a picture of one in a 29 and thought, yep no way I'm doing that to the poor thing. But it's really opinion based I think

StXWP6

ValerieAdams said:
What about:
1 Angel

I was going to put an angel in my 29 gallon until I saw a picture of one in a 29 and thought, yep no way I'm doing that to the poor thing. But it's really opinion based I think
Do Nerite snails Multiply. Because that is not something I want to deal with

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
mattm said:
Do Nerite snails Multiply. Because that is not something I want to deal with
No, they can't reproduce in fresh water

StXWP6

ValerieAdams said:
What about:
1 Angel

would I be able to replace the cories with panda cories?

Top Bottom