Stocking 29 Gallon

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 29 gallon and just started cycling it. I was hoping to get my stocking planned before the cycle was finished so I can have the fish ready ASAP (its hard to be this patient)
My stocking list is...
2x Dwarf Gourami OR GBRs
6-8x Harlequin Rasboras
6-8x Rummynose Tetras
4-6x Sterbai Corys
1x Sailfin pleco

Please let me know if this works or if not, and what to change if not.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Everything works but the sailfin pleco. Sailfin plecos get big so maybe chose a clown or bristle nose pleco. Good luck

Nataku

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattm a pair of GBRs would be the better choice over two dwarf gouramis. Dwarf gourami are pugnacious little snots who will fight with each other if they are both male and your odds of finding a female in a pet store is very very low. They usually dont sell them because they are not as pretty as the boys. Also look up DGIV before purchasing a dwarf gourami.
Also seconding a clown or bristlenose pleco would be a better fit for your tank size. If you want impressive fins on the pleco get a long fin bristlenose pleco. They come in several colors morphs and with the long fins are quite a pretty fish that won't get too big for a 29. Make sure you have driftwood in there for them.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't do 2 dwarf gouramis unless you could find females, which are really rare. The sailfin pleco would get to about 17-18" inches, so it isn't ideal for it to be kept in a 29 gallon. I'd rehome it. Also, the sterbai cories need to be in groups of at least 6; they're very social.

I'd do:

8 harlequin rasboras
8 rummynose tetras
3-4 honey gouramis or 1 dwarf gourami or 2 DG (1M/1F or 2F)
6-8 sterbai cories
1 clown pleco or 2 GBRs (1M/1F or 2F)

georgelee1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yea I agree. Only 1 dwarf gourami. Period. Unless you wanna run into fighting problems.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah so...
I am getting a 29 gallon tank and am hoping to get either a breeding pair of GBRs or BRs and was hoping to get some tankmates for a community.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you are aiming to breed the best tank mates are no tank mates. If you’re trying to setup a nice display with maybe a chance for fry. Planted heavily with lemon tetras and lots of them.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you get GBR make sure all others are good at 82f...The GBR should not really be kept lower.
Rummy nose and Cardinals are most common tank mates .
Bolivians are good at 76 so you have a wider selection of mates .

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
would this work?
AquStockImage.php?N=&L=30.25&D=12.25&H=18.png

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could . Besides the lemons none of the fish on list including GBR should be put in new tanks .
They are all sensitive enough to demand a seasoned tank of 3-6 months old usually.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It very well could work; the only way to know is try it! My preference is more of one type schooling fish looks better than two half the size.

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus are a great alternative and highly underrated in my opinion. You get a similar body structure albeit less color. They are much hardier and less skittish in my estimations.

Nataku

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The ottos will not work in the temps that the GBRs will need to thrive and breed. So remove those from your potential stocking list.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The otos need cooler water than the GBRs, so I would take those out. Also, you could up the school for lemon tetras and rummies to 8 each.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Or do like 20 rummynose!

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So the title basically says it, but I was trying to get either a cichlid community or just a cichlid tank, I was looking at firemouth cichlids and or GBRs and was wondering what they are compatible with.
Thanks any help is appreciated since I am relatively new to this hobby.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only Community Cichlids for a 29 gallon I can think of would be Shell Dwellers, which are African Cichlids. Otherwise you can’t really do a community of Cichlids unless you had at least 55 gallons.

Rainbows and Fishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would definitely not suggest that as they are dramatically different sizes, you usually want to go with species and individuals of similar size to prevent bullying. I also agree with AquaticJ that is a little small of a tank. I do think you could keep a pair of dwarf cichlids in that volume and still have room for some more fish however.

As far as GBR are concerned I'd say any semi peaceful to peaceful fish that could fit comfortably in the tank would do as long as there isnt crowding they are very friendly. I wouldn't suggest placing them with unpaired individuals of their own species or other cichlids however due to aggression.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The problem with Blue Rams in a community is that they don’t have too many compatible tank mates because of their temp requirements. They should be kept from 82-86.

StXWP6

Valued Member
Reaction score
So im planning on getting a 29 gallon tank and stocking it with mbunas.
I was just going to ask a few questions.
1) What do you feed to your mbunas
2) how many can I keep in a 29 gallon
3) can I keep a pleco with them
4) where are some websites you buy cichlids from that are trustworthy

Thanks any help will be appreciated

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kept an overstocked mbuna tank for 30 years...50 gallon minimum for these guys.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom