Stocking 29 gallon

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by blubudgie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. blubudgieNew MemberMember

Hi I currently have a 29 gallon fowlr tank. I think I have around 30 pounds of LR, possibly a little more. And then live sand as well, I'm not sure how many pounds. I have a protein skimmer, powerhead, and heater.
    Fish I have: 2 clownfish, 1 royal gramma
    CuC: 2 sexy shrimp, tiny hermit crab, and two fighting conch. I used to just have one conch, but he wasn't feeling so good and hasn't moved for weeks so I got another one to sift my sand for me. Problem is this second one doesn't move much either....

1. Should I get another clean up crew member to sift my sand? if so, what can I get?
    2. What other fish, if any, can I still fit in my tank
    3. If I decide to turn it into a reef tank, about how much does lighting cost? And will I have room for more fish or should I stop at 3?
    4. can i get more rocks? is it possible to have too much lol

thanks!

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    Yes you can get more clean up crews I would recommend some nassarius snails, they sift through the sand. Nerite snails are pretty good too , they eat algae. You can add another fish to the tank. Like a yellow watchman goby, fire fish, chromis, or a cardinal fish. As for the lighting it depends on what type of corals you're wanting to keep LPS or SPS. You can add more rock as long as there is enough flow around the rocks to get rid of any dead spots and the fish have room to swim around. I think I have like 30-35 pounds of live rock In my 29 gallon Biocube.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    b

blubudgieNew MemberMember

Thanks!

If you know, what are the avg price of lighting for either LPS or SPS coral? I'm still unsure I even want coral, cost being the main issue.

Should I add another power head then if i get more rocks? I wanted to try and build up more, make more caves/bridges.

I'll look into getting some snails. If I get two of the same kind of snail would they breed? Or should I go for just one snail.
    I used to have a freshwater tank and I had a snail infestation one time and it was a nightmare I felt so bad having to kill all those snails :(

4. AquaticBrandon

Well most decent light fixtures for LPS Corals run about $80 or so. For SPS corals they are more expensive, like $250 and up. What kind of powerheads and how many do you have? I really like my Hydor Koralia 425. As for the the snails, I've read that it's unlikely for them to breed in captivity. Although they may lay eggs but the chances for the eggs to hatch are unlikely.

5. OP
    OP
    b

blubudgieNew MemberMember

ooo, $80 I can do. I might consider LPS. What about anemones, do they use similar lighting to coral?
    Could I still fit one more fish if I went for a few corals or anemone?
    I have the same powerhead, the hydor 425. I have it blowing near the top right now, maybe I could move it to the middle to push more of the water?

6. AquaticBrandon

I don't know much about anemones. Most anemones get pretty big and need good lighting. I would leave out the anemone for now. Depending on what fixture you get, you can grow many LPS corals. This fixture right here (I'm thinking of getting for my Biocube) looks like it will grow many corals. There's a lot of good reviews on this light and what I like about it is that it's dimmable. It's the Mars Aqua LED lights http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251495773757&globalID=EBAY-US
    If you look on YouTube you can see that they grow corals very well. I have my hydor in the back facing towards the front, I'm thinking of getting another one to get a little more flow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice