Stocking 29 Gallon Tank

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay thanks for the help and glad I can get the Emeralds back I liked their appearance.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've decided on these fish 1 German Blue Ram as a centerpiece fish, 10 Cardinal Tetra, 8 X-Ray tetra, 8 Emerald Green Cory Cats, and 12 Shrimp. I feel okay on the numbers as most of these fish have a small bio load, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place, please only create one thread per topic

Redguppy67

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Spike98, Look on the internet for D I Y Sponge filters.
You will find a whole lot of easy to make different sponge filters
using many of the items you already have around the house. Anything else is inexpensively
purchased on EBAY or Amazon. That's your two best bets.

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Any websites where I could purchase a sponge filter?
Hydro sponges are superb. You can run them straight, you can put a piece of short air tubing inside the actual sponge to get smaller bubbles, or you can put a standard air stone to get even smaller bubbles. They also sell their own diffusers that are, you guessed it, smaller bubbles still. It is an excellent quality sponge and the lift tube comes very long so you can cut them to size. They are also stackable!

Amazon has them, but if you do a Google search you can get them directly from the company, and they have more size options, from nano all the way to giant ones. I know there are some others that take air stones, but the sponge on this one is of a specially good quality. The only thing I did not like about them is they are a light gray and I wish they had been black. But check them out.

Here is a link to one on Amazon

Lustar – Hydro-Sponge III Filter for Aquariums up to 40 Gallons

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I removed the Cardinals Tetra as they aren't as hardy as the X-ray Tetra. So that puts my stock at 1 German Blue Ram, 8 X-Ray Tetra, 8 Emerald Cory Cats, and 10 Amano shrimp. Is this a good stock or could I add another school or maybe up some fish in my tank?

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wasn't going to be the one to rain on your stocking parade, but I think dropping the cardinals and staying with one school of mid dwellers is the best decision. A 29g may seem like a lot of space from outside but it's not as spacious as it looks. You could up the numbers of both the cories and tetras.

Amano shrimp are probably the best choice as far as not becoming snacks for the ram, but from experience I will say that the whole "shrimp have almost no bioload" is garbage in reference to them because if you are feeding them well, they poop A LOT. I kept ten of them for a couple years and their tank was always full of shrimp poops, I'd wake up every morning and see them hanging off everything, all up in the roots of my floaters, and it always seemed like the day after a water change there'd be just as much poop all over the place. They lived in a densely planted tank and I rarely had to supplement their diet, but I can only imagine how much more poop they would have produced if I fed them algae wafers and what not. Your tank will not be established for some time, so it'll be important for you to remember that they can't be expected to live off waste and leftover food from the others, they will need you to feed them specifically.

I also advise you to do a complete fishless cycle before adding any of these fish. None of them are particularly hardy IMO, but especially the shrimp, cories and ram - putting them in an uncycled tank is likely to lead to various illnesses and death.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're not raining on my parade. I was looking for some advice as I had gotten incorrect advise saying I could stock more and I wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks for giving me what I was looking for, a clear answer with an explanation behind it. I also appreciate the extra advise on the shrimp. Also my tank is currently cycled and the cycle is being held by 2 fish I plan to turn over my lfs as they are not in the appropriate tank and I cant supply the appropriate tank for them.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wonderful! You're doing it right so far then remember that cycled and established aren't quite the same, so your shrimp and cories will need some extra food at first.

I always used to want as many schools as I could fit in a tank, but over the years I've really come to appreciate the aesthetics of a nicely planted tank with one huuuuge school of tiny fish in it. Especially tetras, they just look awesome when you have like 15-20+ in a tank together. I've finally decided to rehome all my large cats (even though I love them to death) so I can fill my big tank with a giant school of ember tetras and I can't wait.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When feeding my shrimp would it be more beneficial for the shrimp to place a piece of zucchini at the bottom of the tank rather than algea wafers? The idea of a large school is growing on me. At first I wanted the most diverse tank with many schools, but now that I have explored some forums the appearance of a school sounds quite appealing.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The best diet for them is varied - try zucchini, spinach, romaine, etc. and also feed some algae wafers here and there - mine also love the shrimp pellets that I feed my big cats, they're cannibals I guess. As long as you're not overfeeding, or expecting them to live off fallen flakes from the fish, they'll be good.

Yeah, I was there once too - unless your tank is massive, "diverse" tends to lead to "overstocked" lol. Plus the schools don't stay together once they're settled in, so it ends up just being all sorts of fish all over the place. I love seeing schools of 20, 40, 50 or more fish in a tank, it's more aesthetically pleasing for one, but also a lot of fish just behave a lot more normally in larger numbers. I find that especially true with tetras.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom