4 Badis
- T:73-79, KH:10-15, pH:6.5-7.5
2 Peacock Gudgeon
- T:72-77, KH:5-12, pH: 7.0-7.8
10 Red Cherry Shrimp
- T:60-80, KH: 3-10, pH: 6.6-7.0
2 Otocinclus Catfish
- T:74-79, KH: 6-10, pH:6.8-7.5
In addition to the number of fish I added their tank requirements to ensure compatibility, they are all also passive fish. I would also like to know if I should upgrade to a sponge filter and what plants I should put in my tank? I currently have gravel and wonder if I should switch to black sand?

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey, honestly I think your tank is kinda getting overstocked. I would not get the 2 otos and peacock gudgeon. Also, 3 male gouramis will fight till death, so make sure you get 1 male 2 females...
Also, a sponge filter is always a good idea, I too have one in my 29g tank and it always comes in handy when I need to use my qt tank if a fish gets sick.

Good luck with your new tank

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any websites where I could purchase a sponge filter? I was additionally wondering if I remove Oto's and peacock from the list is there any smaller fish I could add or would this push my tank closer to overstocked?

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any websites where I could purchase a sponge filter? I was additionally wondering if I remove Oto's and peacock from the list is there any smaller fish I could add or would this push my tank closer to overstocked?
Most people here use aqadvisor to see there tanks stocking/filtration levels. I will put its link below. Also, I got my sponge filter from amazon.

Website : AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I use this sponge filter, works extremly well :

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, according to the site I have alittle more planning to do in my stocking. Anyone have recommendations for what I should have in my tank? I like the idea of having shrimp to add alittle variation to the tank but willing to work to get the nicest tank I can get.

I was wondering if the stock I have chosen will work out and if there is any additional information for these fish I may need to know? The fish I plan to have for my stock are 10 red cherry shrimp, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 6 Peppered Cory Cats, 3 Badis, 3 Scarlet Gem Badis, and 2 Powered Blue Dwarf Guorami. I have already went through AqAdvisor to check my tank currently for these fish and it says my tank will be stocked 107% but that will drop to 95% if i remove the dwarf guorami as I read they can sometimes be aggressive. In addition to my fish I was wondering about plants I should add and if I should switch to black sand as I currently have colored gravel? I would also like to know if i should switch to a sponge filter to reduce current and if sponge filters will provide the same amount of filtration?

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi,
There's a few issues with your planned stock:
1. Badis aren't good fish for community aquariums due to their shyness and potential for being outcompeted for food.
2. Peppered corydoras need cooler water than the rest of your stock
3. Your tank is too small to have 2 dwarf gouramis together
4. DGs will likely kill your shrimp.

How about something like this:
1 Dwarf Gourami OR 2 honey gouramis
8 Cardinal tetras
6 warmer water corydoras of the same species, like pandas, bronze, albino, or julii

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you planning on having plants, too? I personally like a layer of organic potting soil on the bottom. If you cap it with black sand, you'll have a nice situation for plants, which will help keep ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates at bay, as well as giving your fish hiding places and a good contrast for color. They will also help to hide a large or a couple of medium-sized sponge pumps. The lab on the university campus near us only does sponge pumps, and I do recommend that. I only haven't got that way myself because I mostly have 2nd hand filters, and HOB are the norm in my area.

How hard or soft is your water? You're basically looking at fish who need soft, acidic water, and paying attention to that need will reduce stress, so you'll have a healthier tank.

As for the DG, only do one as they're generally males in the LFS, and you don't one 2 in a tank. I've only had negative experiences with them as they come here from Thailand, where they use a *lot* of antibiotics regularly, so they're weak, prone to disease, and are impossible to medicate. Perhaps you'll have access to better bred fish, but I myself would go with an easier going type of gourami that's likelier to survive. A pearl gourami is a nice choice.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay I will remove the DG from my list, look again for fish besides badis, and look at other Cory Cats. I was wondering about putting soil under the sand and will likely do that. I'll look at 2 medium size Sponge filters for each back corner of my tank, any recommendations? Also any idea on the pump required to run these sponge filters?

I think I'll try for another type schooling fish to go with my Cardinal Tetras, one centerpiece fish or two if there is room, Cory Cats, and shrimp. Does this tank setup sound reasonable? I'll post here with the new choice of fish when I make a new list. Additionally I'll take any recommendations in fish.

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Harlequin raspboras are a peaceful schooling fish. They look beautiful when they color up on your tank.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would these fish be a decent pairing for a community tank 6 Cardinal Tetra, 6 X-Ray Tetra, 6 Emerald Green Cory Cat, 10 Amano Shrimp, and 1 German Blue Ram? I used AqAdvisor to pair this with my tank and it does not show any problems with this tank but it could be missing something that this community can provide. Additionally It says the tank will be at a 97% stocked and i read its good to try and keep the tank around 80% to 85% stock. Does anyone think 97% will be a problem and if so is there smaller fish I can school?

I've been recently working on my 29 gallon tank and I am trying to make a list of what I wish to stock in it. I plan to remodel my tank with black sand, real plants, and possibly sponge filters and then add fish. My current list is 6 Cardinal Tetra, 6 X-Ray Tetra, 6 Emerald Green Cory Cats, 10 Amano Shrimp, and 1 German Blue Ram as a centerpiece. I put these into AqAdvisor and it did not display any warnings with this stocking but it did put my stock at 97% and from what I read a better stock would be 80% to 85%. I was wondering if this stock is okay and if there's something AqAdvisor may not have informed me of? If there is a better fish you know of for this stock I am willing to look into it and maybe change my stock as I am always open to an healthier better looking tank. I wish to have a centerpiece fish, schooling fish, and shrimp if possible.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How about smaller cory cats? That way you could have a full shoal and you could lighten the bio load slightly. Pandas, julii, trillis, and pygmies are all cute.

I'd also recommend putting down an inch of organic potting soil before capping with the black sand. Your plants will do so much better, and it's very affordable and easy.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, for the advice on the potting soil under the sand, any recommendations on the brand for the soil? On the Cory Cats I'll look into the ones you recommended and is that the only issue that appears on this stock list so far?

I decided to remove the 6 Emerald Green Cory Cats and replaced them with 8 Panda Cory Cats which put my stock at lower 89% and a full shoal. Should i leave my stock at 89% or add 2 more shrimp making it 12 Amano shrimp and a stock of 90% or add 2 Cardinal Tetra to make a full Shoal and the stock 94%?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO you could do both. Shrimp have extremely small bioloads - basically negligible- and cardinals also have small bioloads.

If it was my tank, I'd bump up the cardinals to around 10 or so, and add a couple more xray tetras. Most of the smaller tetras have small bioloads that its fine in a 29g

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, my stock is now 1 German Blue Ram, 10 Cardinal Tetras, 8 X-Ray Tetras, 8 Panda Cory Cats, and 12 Amano Shrimp. This puts my stock to 106% but with the small bioload this should be okay?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's good to know, the stocking level worried me alittle but glad to hear it's not too bad. Excited I have a stocking plan, now to focus on the tank. Any plants you could recommend for these fish? I plan to add some organic potting soil under black sand to help keep them healthy.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stick with easy to grow plants. Amazon sword, crypts and val would be great choices for a dirt cap. Same with dwarf sag and the other sword species/varieties - like tropica, Vesuvius, flame, ozelot ect.. tiger lotus as well! Other good plants that may be of interest are anubias, java fern, mosses, bolbitis and bucephalandra. The 'other plant' list do better when grown on decor.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the help. Should be able to make a good plan for what I want my tank to look like now.

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would actually switch the corys back to emerald, the size won't make that much of a difference and pandas need cooler water than the German blue rams.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would I still keep the amount at 8 Emerald Cory's or would I do go back to 6?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom