Stocking 29 Gallon Tank with Livebearers?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppies are nice. They're pretty vibrant little fish. Just remember, livebearers have lots of babies, so make sure you have room for fry!

Maybe look into platies or mollys also.

fishlover78

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would stock with some nice platys and guppies, just guppies are nice but adding both adds a nice look to the tank. Good luck! -fishlover78

GouramiGirl1221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Swordtails are pretty neat as well. The rule of thumb is an inch of full grown fish per gallon. Of course, as others said, if your planning on keeping both sexes you should do less because of the fry that will most certainly come. Guppies are about an inch and a half full grown, platies are about two inches, swordtails are around four. Best of luck!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To save the all of the baby problems theres 2 things you can do

1: Just have an all male guppy tank, my uncle has one and it looks beautiful with all of the different colours.

2: Have males and females but have a few cories around the bottom which will eat most if not all of the babies.

aecw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with platy ben on the population control idea - we have a lace catfish that keeps our platy fry population under control
A platy tank is really nice there is always movement and fish swimming around - it's a very active tank

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a pair of Oscars that I was going to use to keep the population down!

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nick Goody said:
I have a pair of Oscars that I was going to use to keep the population down!
Oscars and Guppies shouldnt be placed in the same tank... unless you want to make the the adult guppies food in the future.

Guppies are some of the most amazing little fish there are. I keep my 29 gallon mostly livebearer tank full of platies and guppies and it looks great always. It is better to avoid fry, even if you have means of "population control" because that population control and even the parents can become overfed from eating so many fry. I recommend keeping only males in the tank, unless you're planning to breed.

The problem with breeding livebearers is that the LFS usually wont take fry happily.

Swordtails are good, but they will require a larger tank, and can also crossbreed with Platies. Mollies can be very aggressive at times.

I would suggest having 5 guppies and 5 platies. That would be a good number for the 20 gallon. Make sure it is first cycled: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Whatever it is that you choose, a livebearer tank is usually peaceful and colorful. Just give them good food, clean cycled water, an appropiate tank size and they will be very happy.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry I wasn't clear. The Oscars are in their own tank. Not with the guppies!

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nick Goody said:
Sorry I wasn't clear. The Oscars are in their own tank. Not with the guppies!
Ohhh ok ;D

BTW, thats a nice tank you've got in the pic!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom