Stocking 29 Gallon Freshwater (with Rosy Barbs)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ahupe13, Mar 23, 2016.

1. ahupe13

ahupe13New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hey guys, I have a few years of fishkeeping experience from a couple years ago but have been researching getting back into the hobby. The tank/equipment that I can afford right now is for a 29 gallon. know all about cycling and such and I'm planning for the tank to be low-tech but reasonably heavy planted with driftwood. I'm mostly just worried about bioload/overstocking.
    Right now my only stocking parameter is that I want a school of long-finned rosy barbs. I know that they can get up to 5ish inches but I love them. I also like congo tetras (another big one) and i'm worried about overstocking if I were to put a school of both in the tank. I'm also floating some other options. Right now i'm tentatively thinking:

Stock A:
    5x Rosy Barbs
    Amano shrimp
    A top and/or top-mid dwelling fish to even out the tank (maybe some type of dwarf cichlid or pearl gourami or ???)
    doubtful but maybe a few kuhli loaches?

Stock B:
    5x Rosy Barbs
    5x Congo tetras
    Amano shrimp

I could take or leave most of these options, and am completely open to other possibilities, other than mollies/platys/guppies (don't like their look that much)

2. Dovah

DovahWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hello, @ahupe13! Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm not great with stocking questions but I do believe that rosy barbs will be too large for a 29 gallon tank. Your shoaling fish numbers should also be bumped up to at least six individuals per species.

@TexasDomer @Anders247 @ may be able to help. :)

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    Welcome to Fishlore! I wouldn't put rosy barbs or Congo tetras in a 29 gal, but there are lots of other options for schooling fish!

What about this?

8-10x kuhli loaches
    1x dwarf gourami
    1x Bolivian ram
    8-10x cherry barb
    8x diamond tetra

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with TD, neither rosy barbs not congo tetras would work in a 29g.
    In the stock TD mentions, you could swap the bolivian ram and dwarf gourami out for an apistogramma and a honey gourami.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,773
    TexasDomer and Anders247 have given great suggestions. Just in the interest of other options as well, if it's a 30 inch tank you could also do a thicklip or banded gourami in addition to the ones already suggested.

I agree rosy barbs are too large for a 30 gallon

Other dwarf cichlid options would include kribs, curviceps, and dorsigera as well as some other less common dwarf cichlids.

If you wanted to go with kuhli loaches, you could go up as far as 12 I'd say in a 30 inch tank. If you want a variety you can mix and match between Pangio Semicincta (common Kuhli) and Pangio Oblonga (black kuhli) for variety if you so wish

6. OP
    OP
    ahupe13

ahupe13New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    @ @ @

Thanks guys! You've given some awesome suggestions! Now, hopefully my last question would be:

What would be a good size tank to keep both rosy barbs and congo tetras in? Also what size for just rosy barbs alone (with some shrimp or other invertebrates)? I've seen videos of them in 29 gals and some species websites list 29 as the smallest size for them but I know that sometimes websites know less than the people here and I wanna go with what you guys said. If I could swing it i'd like to have a tank with them in it.

7. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to the forum and glad you're here. Alison;)

8. Dovah

DovahWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'd put rosy barbs in a 40 long and nothing below that personally.

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    48" tank for the Congos. So if you want both, a 55 gal minimum.

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yeah, for both I'd say a 55g minimum.
    I go the other way around, a 40g minimum for congo tetras and a 55g for rosy barbs because they get 2-3 inches bigger than congos do.