Stocking 25g Cube

deekim

Hey

I recently purchased a 25G cube rimless tank from a LFS. It measures 18x18x18 and is made by marineland, not the best clarity or craftsman ship for rimless such as Mr. Aqua or ADA tanks, but nonetheless, its rimless and still very nice. Ive always wanted a rimless tank after I build my old 20G long tank, that I eventually got rid of.

20G Long;
1 Bolivian Ram
5 corycats
# rasboras
Live plants

That was all the contents of that tank. Basic HOB filter rated for 30 gallons, heater, etc etc.
It was a 'Hey lets build a cheap tank' kind of build and just something to keep me busy.

This time around I plan on doing this right from the ground up, but still being relatively cheap.
This time around, I got a 25G cube tank. I plan on getting an LED light, Eheim canister filter and heater. My LFS sells dragon stone for $3.99/lb and I want to do a IwagumI style tank with live plants and possibly a "lawn" of "grass/green" on the floor. I hear people say that I need to run CO2 for this type of setup and was wondering if this rings true? Also, looking for stocking ideas for this because its a CUBE setup and not a long tank setup.

I would like to do the same type of fish as my last build.
1-2 Bolivian Rams
Corycats
Plus some type of small but large number of schooling fish.
Any recommendations?

Its been quite sometime since I've dived (pun intended) into freshwater aquariums.
Thank you

I'm also open to doing a cichlid set up as well with some cherry shrimp or something.
Also open to more colorful fish for bring out the life of the aquarium.

aquastutz

Perhaps a large school of dwarf rasboras?
I also like the idea of a shrimp colony or two.

I've seen the Marineland cube, I like it!

Anders247

Welcome to fishlore!
What type of cories do you have/want?

BottomDweller

How about a large school of CPD or ember tetras?

Anders247

I would rehome the peppered cories and get 8 total albino cories. Don't mix and match species of cory.

BottomDweller

I don't think deekI'm still has the cories but I could be wrong.

Anders247

Lol oops I missed the 'had' part. Sorry about that haha.

Samuel97

I absolutely agree with the above statement of getting a large school of nano fish. It's the right amount of room to see cool schooling behaviour from nano fish but maybe a little small for a larger schooling fish to truly swim a small a group. Ember tetras is a great shout.

It's also crying for a shrimp colony. I prefer Amano shrimp but if you aren't carpeting the tank:

1. The carpet would be a great environments for a red cherry shrimp colony

2. Probably don't carpet the whole tank, and leave a partial area with sandy substrate and with root plants for the cories, though they will venture into the carpet to forage.

deekim

I no longer have any fish or the previous tank, I sold it quiet some time ago. I'm beginning a whole new setup and tank.
I don't want corys if I plan on doing a low tech carpet as I will be doing the shrimp.

I do want shrimp and a large small schooling fish but also would like 1-2 decent sized fish.
Maybe small cichlids?
Any recommendations?

Anders247

Peacock gudgeons?

FishObbessed

You can get a pair of dwarf gourami for the decent size fish!

deekim

Update;

Been awhile since I last updated.
Now that the tank is up and running, I now have 8 zebra danios.

To stock the rest of the tank I was thinking;
3 Bolivian rams
4 pygmy cories
MAYBE some shrimp but I think I will be pushing my bioload a bit much and the lower portion of the tank will be over crowded

Thoughts?

Anders247

Pygmy cories need a group of 6+.
Get C. habrosus instead, because pygmies don't stay on the bottom. They're a mid-dwelling cory.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamesRush93
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views