Stocking 25 Gallon

TheFisher167

Reaction score
looking to startup a 25 gallon community tank, and was wondering what would be some good stuff to stock it with? Been thinking about maybe a pie of rams, and s school of caridinal tetras.

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TheFisher167 said:
Are there any fish that could go with those? Or is that a good stocking list? I was thinking maybe adding 2-3 corydoras.
Cories should be fine. I would do at least 3, probably 4. Your two GBRs, and a school of Cardinals at least 6 or 7. As long as you have a decent quality filter you should easily be safe with that stocking. Especially with some java Fern in there! Good luck.
Also GBRs are pretty sensitive and like mature tanks. I'd make them your last addition. Probably the cories first, than your tetra school then your GBRs. Obviously after the cycle.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TheFisher167 said:
Are there any fish that could go with those? Or is that a good stocking list? I was thinking maybe adding 2-3 corydoras.
Cories are schooling so 8-12 of them.
Make sure you get a warm water cory such as aeneus (bronze or albino) or sterbai cories. Many common cories such as panda cories, peppered cories or three lined cories need cooler water. Kuhli loaches would also work.

How about this stocking
12 cardinal tetras
2 german blue rams
8-12 cories
2 rabbit snails
2 nerite snails
8 amano shrimp

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
12 is way to many corries for a 25! The tanks footprint can not keep them all happy. They are schooling. Which is why I'd suggest no less than 4. 8 might be possible, but even then that would not be much room for them

TheFisher167

Reaction score
8-10 cardinal tetras
2 blue german rams
4-6 cories
a few snails
wouldn’t the blue rams eat the amano shrimp? (Only worked with larger cichlids that eat shrimp so I’m not sure)

And how long should I cycle for? Havnt kept freshwater for a while, and I most recently had a reef tank which you should cycle for 4-6 weeks if not more.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blue rams are fine with amanos in my experiance.

I wouldn't do less than 8 cories. You definitely have room for 8 and 4 isn't enough for these schooling fish.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TheFisher167 said:
Last thing, how long should I let the tank cycle before I add the cories?
Until its finished cycling. It could take 2-8 weeks, sometimes more. Keep cycling and adding ammonia until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate. Dont add any fish until the tank is completely cycled. Are you familiar with fishless cycling a tank?

TheFisher167

Reaction score
BottomDweller said:
Until its finished cycling. It could take 2-8 weeks, sometimes more. Keep cycling and adding ammonia until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate. Dont add any fish until the tank is completely cycled. Are you familiar with fishless cycling a tank?
Yes I am. In my prior freshwater tanks, I’d set the tank up, and 5-7 days later add a few fish, and I’ve never really had problems. But I am looking into the fishless cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom