Stocking 25-gallon Tank Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Adriifu, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Hello :) I’ve recently found a 25-gallon tank for $10.00 at a yardsale. It came with everything I need (excluding a heater, which I’ll be purchasing when I get fish). I’m getting it cycled atm, but I want to plan out what I’m going to stock it with. There are two nerite snails in it right now to help with cycling and to prevent algae overgrowth. The tank is outside, so I won’t be using the light it came with. Any ideas are welcome. I’ve been thinking about the following: angelfish, rainbow fish, and giant danios. I’d like to have something that schools very well (and isn’t too small) plus some bottom feeders. Here’s a picture of the set up. I’m still fixing the scape, but I need to wait for the wood to sink (which is why there’s a huge rock on top of it). I’ll be adding some plants, but I haven’t decided which types. You guys can make some suggestions if you’d like for that as well. I’ll probably just add some amazon swords, though. Maybe some dwarf sag. Thanks :)
    EDIT: I've also been thinking about breeding fish lately. Possibly some mollies, platys, guppies, etc.

Attached Files:

2. Jay Chen

Jay Chen New Member Member

Nice, wish I can find cheap secondhand tanks at my area.

3. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Yeah. I was really happy when my grandma surprised me with it. I couldn't believe how cheap it was. A quick clean with some Dawn made it look brand new.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd take the nerites out - they won't help with cycling (too small of a bioload) and they could die if you're adding ammonia.

If you're leaving the tank outside, I'd go with a native fish that can handle the change and range in temps. That tank is going to get hot.

5. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

There isn't any ammonia right now. If there is in the future it should go down quickly, as I used cycled media for the filtration. I'm mostly just waiting for my nitrates to go up. They're at 0 ppm right now because the tank has only been set up for a week and I started phantom feeding a few days ago. I'm using the nerites mainly for the algae growth. The sunlight has caused really excessive growth around my filter and on the rocks. I'll keep a good eye on them for now, though. Thanks.

I've been thinking about that. Do you think a heater would be necessary during the summer or would it make the water too hot? If not, I'll use it mostly for winter and fall. Temperatures usually drop to around sixty during those seasons. Also, which fish would you suggest that are native to Florida?

6. Jay Chen

It all depends on the room temp. If it is at optimal temp without the heater, than sure. Also depending on what heater you have if like mine it stops when it reaches it set temp and goes on when it drops.

7. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

That's the heater I'll be purchasing. Tetra Submersible Heater. This will work well for any season, right?

8. Jay Chen

9. Jay Chen

I use that for my 2 10 gallons and a different heater for my 80 gallon. You can set you own temp with this one. Screenshot_20180414-200502_eBay.jpg

10. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion :)

11. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

I'd buy the heater a day or two before you buy fish so the tank has time to heat up before you try to add the fish!

12. TexasDomer

I wouldn't bother with a heater in the summer. I think the problem is that the tank is going to be too warm. It's getting directly sunlight and it's hot and humid Florida (I grew up there, I know how hot it gets). Look into natives - I haven't a lot of research on them lately, but I'm sure some googling and then checking their adult size on Seriously Fish and Fishbase will be helpful. Gambusia comes to mind, though there are others. Guppies would likely be fine as well.

You're phantom feeding. You're adding ammonia to the tank. Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites. I would take the snails out at any sign. You have the tank in direct sunlight, eventually I doubt they'll be able to keep up with all the algae.

13. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

What do you think about the three fish I mentioned previously? Giant danios, angelfish, or rainbow fish. Do you think those would be alright?

14. TexasDomer

No, I wouldn't do any of those in an outside tank that gets direct, strong sun in a hot climate.

15. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

Alright. I'll keep doing some research. Thanks.

16. TexasDomer

Also, the tank is too small for giant danios and angels and most Melanotaenia. Moving it inside would give you so many more options though.

17. Jay Chen

You can do guppies or minnows they also eat mosquito larvae so you don't have to worry about a lot of mosquito around your house

18. OP
    OP
    Adriifu

I would love to move it inside, but there's really no room. Would kuhli loaches be an option? Just wondering. I've always been interested in them. Here are some ideas:

1. x6 guppies (4 f, 2 m)
    x3 kuhli loaches (if suitable)
    x4 nerite snails
    x6 platies (4 f, 2 m)
    x1 clown pleco

2. x4 balloon mollies (3 f, 1 m)
    x6 swordtails (4 f, 2 m)
    x4 nerite snails
    x1 clown pleco
    x6 albino corydoras

I'll definitely try my best to figure out a way to keep the temperature as stable as possible. An adjustable heater is a start. I'm mostly worried about summer, though. I don't know how I'll keep the temperature down. Any ideas?

19. TexasDomer

I'd leave the pleco, cories, and kuhlis out of it. Balloon mollies are deformed, so I'd leave them out. Water is likely too hot for swordtails. I really think you're underestimating how hot the tank will get - a glass container in direct sun in the hot Florida climate sounds like a bad idea. Can you at least move it to a shaded area where it won't get direct sun?

What are the dimensions of the tank?

20. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

With the tank outdoors, you absolutely cannot do anything that is not native! And at that I'd be very careful, because native species have access to water flow and currents that bring in cool water. Your tank will not have that. I'd be really careful about having the tank outside at all... it could end up being a really big disaster...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice