Hello -

I have a one-two month old tank that currently houses:

One Red Sea sailfin tang
    Three lemon chromis
    One royal gramma
    One tiger cowrie
    Three turbo snails
    Six or so red legged hermits

I am going to be adding fish *very* slowly and would appreciate feedback. This is a fish only tank right now that has quite a bit of non-live rock in it.

Looking to add:

Two clowns
    Three Bangaii
    Coral beauty angel
    Fire angel
    Lawnmower blenny
    Choc chip starfish
    Longfin banner
    Diamond goby
    A couple colorful, peaceful wrasse species
    Raccoon butterfly

So, any compatibility issues? Any cool fish I am overlooking? Is this too many fish? Or are there room for more?

Your advice and opinions are welcome.

2. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

3. J

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

It's a HUGE tank so you shouldn't have too many issues with compatibility, but there are some things to be aware of:

1) Dwarf Angels don't care much for each other. I assume you are talking about a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty. There is enough space there that it could work. A suggestion I might make is to add the Coral Beauty and the Flame Angel at the same time so that neither one becomes established before the other and put them in acclimation boxes so they get used to each other first. The Flame tends to be the more aggressive of the two (but not always). Also not sure if you have corals or not, but all Dwarf Angels (and any full size angels not of the Genicanthus variety) have the potential to be coral nippers. If the tank is well estrablished with plenty of algae growing and you regularly feed seaweed it will decrease the likelihood of nipping. My old Flame Angel nipped repeatedly at my Frogspawn and Hammer frags, but my current Coral Beauty took a couple of test nibbles and then left them alone.

2) Butterflyfish are beautiful but can be easily intimidated by more assertive fish. It depends on how your sailfin reacts to having another big fish of a somewhat similar shape to it in the tank. Also, the Racoon Butterfly is NOT REEF SAFE, so if you have corals and inverts expect it to attack them with gusto. The same goes for the Bannerfish

3) I applaud you for not overlooking wrasses. They are IMHO the most underrated fish in the aquarium hobby. Lots of color, personality and activity with these guys. Goodness knows my Juvie Melanurus Wrasse is a ham. Some people prefer the Fairy Wrasses or Flasher Wrasses but I love the Halichoeres Wrasses (ie Melanurus, Red-Lined, Christmas). They can nip at snails and hermit crabs, but also are great at pest control and are one of the few that will eat Bristle and Fireworms. To give you an idea of what a Male Melanurus looks like, here is a vid I have of a Male and my Juvie together:

4. J

Oh and to give you the kind of idea of how feisty the Dwarf Angels can be, here is a vid of my Coral Beauty attacking it's reflection (I had a mirror on that side of the tank to try to get my Yellow Tang to ease up a bit)):

5. OP
    OP
    T

TimTheNewbie New Member Member

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed talking about a flame and a CB. I've been trying to do plenty of reading and have seen where keeping two dwarf angels can be an issue. But I thought if I added them at the same time with the tank being so big that I may be okay. I do not have any corals. I have a pretty clean tank at the moment (no algae), but do supplement with fresh greens weekly.

Thanks for the note on the butterfly and banner. I assume they would not be a threat to my snails or a starfish? My sailfin is a docile fish right now and I have no desire to get him riled up.

I really want variety in shape and color, so the wrasses give me that. It's such a large group that I needed opinion on which. Thanks for listing a few.

6. J

Butterflyfish/Bannerfish can be a problem on both the coral and the invert munching issue. Wrasses (the ones I mentioned) can be a threat to your snails. Mine periodically picks my snails off. One thing I have found that is very effective if you go that route is to add the snails right around or just after the time they go to bed and then your snails will be more likely to be active when the fish are asleep.