Stocking 20g Community Tank

1. Rangerbob86 Initiate Member

I have a 20g fully cycled tank. It currently has the 5 skirt tetras, 8 neon tetras, and dwarf gourami. I'd like to get some feedback on what everybody thinks on getting the other fish shown in my aqadvisor image. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Aqu_Stock_Image.png

2. JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think you're pretty well stocked right now. IMO, I'd rehome the 5 skirt tetras, replace them with the panda cories, and call it a community. You'd have a nice school of neons, a cool group of bottom dwellers, and a DG as your centerpiece fish. (The GBR would also make a great centerpiece if you decided to rehome the DG).

3. Falcon JJ Member Member

Even though the dwarf gourami and german blue ram are usually listed as peaceful fish, in my experience, they are both semi aggressive. I don't think they would get along. Since the gourami has been in there, he would probably see the gbr as an invader and be very territorial with him/her. I just don't see those 2 working out together. I am all for adding the panda cories though! I love cories. In my opinion, you could add them without subtracting any existing fish and still not be overstocked.

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I agree with the previous poster on almost all counts. It is already a pretty crowded for a 20 gallon. It is not so much whether the filter can handle the fish load, but more a matter of personal space for the fish to feel comfortable and thrive. But since the cories occupy the bottom of the tank, an area mostly ignored by the other fish you have, I don't see any problem with their inclusion, but I would definitely leave the GBR out.

5. Rangerbob86 Initiate Member

Thanks everybody for your replies. I am now thinking about just adding the panda corys, and being done. I appreciate the advice!

Aqu_Stock_Image.png