Stocking 20 gallons.

1. t

theguywhoknocks New Member Member

Hello. I'm a lazy person, but I love fish.
    I'm looking for something I won't have to invest a lot of time into.
    I have a 60 (length) x 30 (width) x 40 (height) [centimeters] aquarium.
    It had water in it being filtrated for 3 days, 24 hours a day.
    The aquarium has just sand in it for now.
    I would love to have a really small amount of fish (or just one) there.
    I'm looking for something big for the aquarium size (catfish and other stuff) or something that would feel unique for the aquarium (just one specie).
    I have taken pufferfish into consideration, although don't think I can do that, because they prefer to live in really well-planted aquariums from what I've seen and I really don't wanna bother with plants, because in my case, it's better to have no plants at all, than just watch the plant die from a bad treatment.
    I've looked at black water aquariums and that might just be the way to go, just a big amount of branches and sand.
    Also by the way, do you think that there are any plants that take literally no work or minimal work to look good in an aquarium.
    As I said earlier I want the tank to have just one specie and also I don't like plecos.
    Sorry, I might want too much, but that's just the way that it is.
    Also, sorry for my grammar, I'm not a native English speaker.

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Are those inches or centimeters

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

What about a single male betta with some shrimp and/or snails? In a tank that large for a single betta, you could get away with every other week water changes.

4. OP
    OP
    t

I've heard about the nitrogen cycle. Fish produce waste. Plants absorb nitrate and you have to change 10-20% water each week, right?
    I had a male betta in a 30l tank for 3,5 year, but left him for the care of my neighbour when I was absent, needless to say the water state was completely ruined, there was decaying food everywhere. Not looking to get bettas or goldfish though, I mean, I love bettas, but I think I've had enough of them and for goldfish, I don't really like 'em.

5. TexasDomer

Not quite. Read the blue link in my previous post. Do you want to do a fish-in or fishless cycle?

I'm a fan of bigger water changes - the fish will appreciate it and it's good for them as long as the new water parameters aren't too different from the tank water. I would do 50% weekly instead of 10-20%.

What about stocking with a trio of honey gouramis and an appropriately sized pleco?

6. OP
    OP
    t

I'd rather do a fishless cycle.
    I've browsed some more fish forums and I am currently thinking about:
    -1/2 Striped Rapheals (read, that they are really easy to care for)
    -Dwarf Puffers (I just adore puffers)
    -a channa bleheri Snakehead (just one, but still I don't think my aquarium is large enough though)
    -1M+3f dicrossus filamentosus harem
    -banjo catfish
    Although I don't think it'll be easy to get dicrossus filamentosus in Poland, because our aquatics haven't been developed that much yet.
    I'm looking for something, that's quite unique and also wouldn't mind being alone in a tank as the only specimen.

7. TexasDomer

Striped raphaels are too large for this tank size. Same with the Snakehead.

The others would work though!

8. OP
    OP
    t

What about the plants, are there any I could get, that are easy to care for and don't require CO2 dosage?
    I think mossballs are the only ones I can think of for now.

9. tyguy7760

10. OP
    OP
    t

Java moss looks really nice. Looking forward to put it on my driftwood. Do you think I could get some Elodea also?
    Also, if I haven't mentioned my substrate is just plain sand, hope that doesn't matter that much.
    Would some driftwood with java moss attached to it and some Elodea in the back be okay for a pair of puffers or a harem of dicrossus flamentosus?

11. tyguy7760

elodea/anacharis is a great plant that grows quickly and requires very little maintenance. It will be fine for your tank and your fish. You will likely need to trim it though every other week.

You propagate anacharis buy pinching off small plantlets that shoot out of the side and planting it or letting it float as a new plant. When you trim a stock, make sure to trim it from the bottom as if you cut the tip off, it will turn black and look terrible and stop growing. So trim at the bottom and throw away the part that you trimmed off.

You won't need to buy much on your first purchase. It grows and propagates quickly.

12. OP
    OP
    t

My LFS only offers 10cm+ Elodea, but it's quite cheap so I can afford to buy it, but the fact that you can't trim it from the top just bothers me. So I would have to replant it just to trim it? That's quite confusing. :)

13. tyguy7760

Basically. You don't want to trim from the top or the ends will turn black. It's not too difficult though. Just pull it out of the substrate cut it in half and put the top half back into the substrate (or however much you want to cut off).

You don't have to throw the bottom part out but where you cut it will typically turn black. Sometimes a new plant will sprout off of where you cut it. But not all the time in my experience.

14. OP
    OP
    t

Uhm... Well, then I guess anacharis isn't the way to go, I don't want to disturb the fish. What about hornwort? Can I cut it from the top?

15. tyguy7760

I wouldn't do hornwort for a first plant as it can make a mess. The fish really don't care that much when you put your hand in the water. Doing a gravel vac/water change will disturb them just as much (even though it's still very little)

Maybe something like water wisteria or water sprite would be more your thing as it is very easy and grows fast and i believe you can trim it from the top. Also java fern is a very low maintenance plant that grows very slowly so little trimming is needed. The windelov java fern is also very nice.

16. OP
    OP
    t

Java Fern seems okay too. By the way, do I need to clear my sand actually? I used to clear gravel with a gravel vaccum when I had a betta, but now I have got a filter for 112l tanks (approx. 30 gal) and there is gonna be 2-4 fish in here. Is it necessary? Also I like the look of Crypt. Wendti, does it need to be trimmed a lot and is it easy to care for? I could also have that in my tank aswell.

17. tyguy7760

You still need to do water changes every week. You don't need to stick a vac in the sand just swirl it around and pick up ant junk that costs around.

Yes those plants would be fine

18. OP
    OP
    t

I know that I need to do water changes, that's rather obvious. Yeah, probably gonna do 1M+2F dwarf pufferfish tank, with medium lighting, with java fern attached to driftwood and few other plants, thanks for all the advice. I hope that the plants you recommended me will survive.
    So basicly, I just gotta buy stuff now. Thank you for help.

19. TexasDomer

No need for root tabs with Anubias :)

I'd go for low light (don't worry, low light does not mean you have to have a dim tank). If you go for medium light, I think you'll have algae issues with the plants and numbers you're wanting.

20. OP
    OP
    t

Alright, I will also need to get some info on aquarium lighting, because all I know now is that there's low, medium and highly lit aquariums. :)
    I actually had no clue what lighting I had previously, but now it's broken anyway, so I have to buy a new one matching my lid.
    How much power would I need with 180 square cm surface area and 40 cm height for it to be a low light? I think it's better for me to ask here than in my LFS, my plan was to actually go to the LFS and ask, but it might've been a stupid idea though.