Stocking 20 gallon aquarium

mryan15

Hi! I just made an account and am not sure if I am posting in the right place, but was hoping someone could help me. I do have a few questions. Please forgive me if this seems like obvious information, I am only a few months into the hobby and need some help! :)

I currently have 3 albino corydoras and 4 male platies. I am not intending on breeding. They are all small right now and seem to be getting along fine. They are currently in a heavily planted 10 gallon and I am looking to upgrade to something slightly bigger very soon.

I was wondering if a 20 gallon would be good for 5 cories total and 4 platies. If so, is there any way I could add more fish than that to a 20 gallon or is that my limit?

I also know that cories like to be in groups, which is why I have 3 albinos at the moment. Is this enough or should I get two more? I have read that they need groups of 5.
I am wanting to upgrade just so the cories have more space. If I am not providing them the proper home, I am willing to rehome them. I just want to keep them happy!

Thank you so much! I am going to look at buying a used 20 gallon tomorrow, so please let me know your thoughts! I can try to find a 30 gallon if that is not enough space for them. Thank you!

mryan15

Are 3 albino corydoras enough for them to be happy? Do I need more? I have 3 and they seem to be doing well right now, but I want to make sure they are happy.

Will 3-5 corys and 4 platies be okay in a 20 gallon?

Can I add more fish to 20 gallon with 3-5 corys and 4 platies in there already?

Any help is much appreciated thank you!

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

You could do 6 Albino Corydoras in a 20 gallon and 7 platies. If you don't want them to breed like rabbits, either keep all males or all females.

Upvote 0

mryan15

You could do 6 Albino Corydoras in a 20 gallon and 7 platies. If you don't want them to breed like rabbits, either keep all males or all females.

Okay thank you! I have all males right now, so I'll just stick with males.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

A 29 gal would be awesome if you can find a used one, but a 20 will easily work for 5-6 cories and the 4 platies.

Upvote 0

mryan15

Okay thank you so much!!

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

There are no stupid questions when your try to care for animals. No need to be ashamed for not knowing something.
Just to clarify,
cories are schooling fish, 6 is considered a minimum sized school.
guppies, many live bearers and a few other species are grouping fish, they do ok in groups of 3 and somtimes less.

In a 20 gallon long, or other tank with a length of at least 30 inches, You can house a full school of 6 albino cories. The fish that is normally sold as albino cories gets to 3 inches. its large for a 20 long but not TOO large. You could keep A school of albino cories, the platies and somthing else. Somthing like a school of small fish. Like 6-8 porkchop rasbora, or glowlight tetra, or rummy nose tetra. There are many small fish to choose from.

If you had a larger tank, obviosly you would have more options.

Upvote 0

mryan15

There are no stupid questions when your try to care for animals. No need to be ashamed for not knowing something.
Just to clarify,
cories are schooling fish, 6 is considered a minimum sized school.
guppies, many live bearers and a few other species are grouping fish, they do ok in groups of 3 and somtimes less.

In a 20 gallon long, or other tank with a length of at least 30 inches, You can house a full school of 6 albino cories. The fish that is normally sold as albino cories gets to 3 inches. its large for a 20 long but not TOO large. You could keep A school of albino cories, the platies and somthing else. Somthing like a school of small fish. Like 6-8 porkchop rasbora, or glowlight tetra, or rummy nose tetra. There are many small fish to choose from.

If you had a larger tank, obviosly you would have more options.

Thank you this is so helpful!! I will definitely be getting more cories so that they can school, and I am picking up the 20 gallon long tank tomorrow.
Would one larger fish like a honey gourami be okay in there instead of a school? I like both options, but was just wondering.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Yes you could get one larger fish instead of a school.
Honey gourami are actually schooling fish. Some people do only keep one, but It is likely to hide a lot.
Dwarf gourami can be aggressive.
You should be able to keep One opaline or 3 spot or gold gourami - all the same species, just very different colors.
other options - one paradise gourami, or one betta, or one dwarf pleco

Upvote 0

mryan15

Yes you could get one larger fish instead of a school.
Honey gourami are actually schooling fish. Some people do only keep one, but It is likely to hide a lot.
Dwarf gourami can be aggressive.
You should be able to keep One opaline or 3 spot or gold gourami - all the same species, just very different colors.
other options - one paradise gourami, or one betta, or one dwarf pleco
Okay thank you so much! This is all so helpful!

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

Now that I see it's a 20 long, I think you can add even more cory's since they are basically bottom fish.

A 20 long is 30 inches. My 55 gallon community is 48 inches. In that tank I currently have 12 albino cory's and will be adding 7 more when the most recent batch of cory fry get big enough and I have no worries about the numbers.

Remember this depends on filtration and other tank inhabitants.

A 20 long give you more options than 20 highs. I have 2, 20 high and sure wish they were longs, just seems you can do more with wide than up.

My 20 long started as 10 gallon cull shrimp tank. When I upgraded because the cull shrimp started producing interesting babies, I turned it into my first experiment into a shrimp/fish tank and added white cloud mountain minnows which are schooling fish, and quite pretty when they grow up. Also, it's a planted tank. And I plan to add the 8 panda cories I have in a grow up/breeding tank, once they breed. And I don't see that as a problem again because of the length of tank and other tank inhabitants.

JMHO, in a tank that long, a nice school of middle of tank fish is lovely and adds interest and movement to the tank which my wcmm's do.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Corygal8857
  • Question
Replies
Views
mxnewss
Replies
Views