Stocking 20 Gal Long Freshwater Community

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Snapdragon855, Jun 24, 2018.

1. S

Snapdragon855 New Member Member

Hi everyone!

I wanted to get some opinions on stocking my 20 gal long.

20 gallon long-
    The 20 gal long previously was split up for male bettas and ADFs. I’m switching it to a Freshwater community.

8 neon tetras
    6 harlequin rasboras
    1 dwarf gourami
    4 peppered Cory cats
    5 African dwarf frog
    Few amano and ghost shrimp
    2 nerite snails

Aqadvisor says I’m at 90 percent stocked. I have a MarineLand penguin 200 filter (rated for 50 gal) plus two 10 gal sponge filters in there from when I had the bettas.

Does this seem like way too many fish for a 20 gallon tank?

F6AB3B7A-EE93-4D91-88A2-7855A6FF12F3.jpeg 30095645-5629-4F4B-8350-5F6F64A3EF70.jpeg

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

AqAdivisor isn’t really accurate so 8 would only suggest using it as a backup source.

3 schools is a bit much. DGs are also prone to a disease that I can’t spell :p
    What about honey gourami? Do you trust your fish source? Are you going to quarantine?
    If you want to keep the DG, you could do:
    1 dwarf gourami
    8 peppered cories (they need at least 6 in a school)
    8 neon tetras (they are more temp compatable)
    Amano shrimp
    Snails
    This would make your tank heavily stocked (not overstocked) so stay on top of water changes.

Edit: what fish do you already have? If you have all of these species, you are overstocked. I’d suggest rehoming the species that aren’t above.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the above, except that I think three schools is fine depending on the species you get. 2 on top and one for the bottom is fine, imo. 3 up top would be too much. The frogs shouldn't be kept with fish.

I'd do this:
    8 neon tetras
    8 harlequin rasboras
    8 peppered cories
    1 dwarf gourami

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice