Stocking 20 Gal Long Freshwater Community

1. S

Snapdragon855 New Member Member

Hi everyone!

I wanted to get some opinions on stocking my 20 gal long.

20 gallon long-
    The 20 gal long previously was split up for male bettas and ADFs. I’m switching it to a Freshwater community.

8 neon tetras
    6 harlequin rasboras
    1 dwarf gourami
    4 peppered Cory cats
    5 African dwarf frog
    Few amano and ghost shrimp
    2 nerite snails

Aqadvisor says I’m at 90 percent stocked. I have a MarineLand penguin 200 filter (rated for 50 gal) plus two 10 gal sponge filters in there from when I had the bettas.

Does this seem like way too many fish for a 20 gallon tank?

F6AB3B7A-EE93-4D91-88A2-7855A6FF12F3.jpeg 30095645-5629-4F4B-8350-5F6F64A3EF70.jpeg

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

AqAdivisor isn’t really accurate so 8 would only suggest using it as a backup source.

3 schools is a bit much. DGs are also prone to a disease that I can’t spell :p
    What about honey gourami? Do you trust your fish source? Are you going to quarantine?
    If you want to keep the DG, you could do:
    1 dwarf gourami
    8 peppered cories (they need at least 6 in a school)
    8 neon tetras (they are more temp compatable)
    Amano shrimp
    Snails
    This would make your tank heavily stocked (not overstocked) so stay on top of water changes.

Edit: what fish do you already have? If you have all of these species, you are overstocked. I’d suggest rehoming the species that aren’t above.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the above, except that I think three schools is fine depending on the species you get. 2 on top and one for the bottom is fine, imo. 3 up top would be too much. The frogs shouldn't be kept with fish.

I'd do this:
    8 neon tetras
    8 harlequin rasboras
    8 peppered cories
    1 dwarf gourami