Stocking 20 & 55 Gallon Tanks, Check 'em out!

1. Canadian Fish Member Member

Hi, this is my 55 Gallon tank that I am gradually stocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUd0n_BiwQ

So far it had 8 zebra danios and 8 red platies.
    Eventually I would like to add a small school of bleeding heart tetras (my wife's request), and one bristlenose plec.

What I'd really like to know is if Silver Dollars are compatible with these fish, and if I could keep 5 of them in this tank.

Here is my original 20 gallon tank, it just had corys and platies right now. I thought they were julii corys but I found out recently they're not, though they are similar. I plan on adding some neon tetras and guppies to this tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l68AZhXOb0

I know my setups are pretty typical cheese. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

The PH is a little high in my water so I am currently soaking some driftwood which I am adding to the tanks tomorrow.

Thanks!

EDIT:
    I just got back from my LFS, and they are actually expecting an order of various rainbowfish this week, so I'll probably go with some of those instead of the silver dollars.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

Great looking tanks! I prefer to see Silver Dollars in tanks 6' and up. If you have plans to upgrade in the future, the 55g would make a nice starter home. If I were to change anything in this tank it would be the Air Line Tubing, from clear or white, to black.

Music from Jaws! Love it! lol

Very colorful tanks :)

Ken

3. Canadian Fish Member Member

Thanks! I'm actually getting a better air pump and when I do I'm going to run the tubing down the right hand corner of the 55 gallon tank, which it already does on the left side, and it's pretty invisible. It really stands out down the middle like it is now. The tubing in the 20 gallon stands out as well and if I see any black tubing I will pick some up. Didn't even realized they made it.

4. Canadian Fish Member Member

Well, I got my new air pump and moved some things around, tank looks really nice now. I still don't have black tubing, but I added some real driftwood and some fake plants , which hide the green bubble wand. The rest of the tubing is in the corners now, so at least it's not right up the middle of the tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOecOe_CZrI

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Very colorful. I always wanted to know what those under water waterfalls looked like.

6. Canadian Fish Member Member

LOL. Me too. I never would have bought one new, they're kind of expensive for what they are, and a little cheesy. But we bought the tank used and it came with the waterfall, the log, and that rock type thing on the right hand side of the tank (The previous owner must have walked into a PetSmart and said "Give me the usual", lol) Walking stereotype.

However, the waterfall actually looks neat now that it's hooked up to the air, and one of the platies and one of the danios spend a lot of time hovering in and around it. It takes up a lot of tank space, is another drawback, but I'm keeping it in because the fish do interact with it.

The substrate, plants, driftwood, bubble and diver (for my 3 year old, he thinks it's an astronaut) we chose, and I think it looks good. I love the bubble wall. I think the green background will contrast nicely with the Red Rainbowfish when they are mature and have their full color.