Stocking 2.6 Gal

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey guys, I have a 2.6 fluval spec that I'm looking to re-stock with fish. I only have 1 cherry shrimp and a nerite snail left in there. Not particularly worried about them...

I want to keep something I haven't kept before, but in a 2.6 gal I'm limited and can't think of anything new. Was hoping someone could give me ideas.

Was thinking:
A betta
Pea puffer
Green/white/neon/fire red/ember tetra (but idk if i want tetra)
tiger barbs (in a 2.6??)....
Furcata rainbows..
celestial danio/dario dario (what I had in the tank the last stocking)
rams

Those are my thoughts. Can anyone think of anything else? anything really weird or odd that would go happily in a 2.6? like an eel, or dwarf cichlid? I want something neat/new but I don't want to be cruel to anything..

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You're really limited to a betta and even that is highly debated on whether a 2.5(or 6) is appropriate. All the other fish listed have minimum tank sizes from 5g to 20g, so none would work in this tank. Most eels are going to need 30+ and most dwarfs need at least a 20.
If you don't want a betta then I'd look into just doing a small shrimp colony. Shrimp can be very beautiful as well as entertaining.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppies have a bioload to high for a 2.5/.6 and since tetras are schoolers there really wouldn't be enough room for 5-6 to live well in, even nanos.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Platylover said:
Guppies have a bioload to high for a 2.5/.6 and since tetras are schoolers there really wouldn't be enough room for 5-6 to live well in, even nanos.
ugh its morning here, *brain fart* :banghead:

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm thinking I'll go with either pea puffers or a ram....I have a 75 gal with S/C cichlids, I could move a ram into that tank once he's grown out of the 2.6. I've had pea puffers in a 5gal before...I just want something i haven't kept before but...I know I'm limited. I've tried shrimp in this tank already and I have a hard time keeping them....the only type that did well were cherry shrimp...I had bee shrimp, amano, skunk shrimp, green algea eating shrimp...all of em died off fairly quickly. I tried to keep like requirements, like the bee, cherry and algea eating shouldve been okay together...but the bee's were especially bad...I do better with the hardier stuff. x.x No more angelfish for mee.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Your only fish option is a betta, but even with a betta there are some controversy. Personally I'd never put any fish in less than 5g, they have almost no place to move.

A 2.6 would be perfect for a shrimp colony and it would look amazing!

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FishGirl38 said:
I'm thinking I'll go with either pea puffers or a ram....I have a 75 gal with S/C cichlids, I could move a ram into that tank once he's grown out of the 2.6. I've had pea puffers in a 5gal before...I just want something i haven't kept before but...I know I'm limited. I've tried shrimp in this tank already and I have a hard time keeping them....the only type that did well were cherry shrimp...I had bee shrimp, amano, skunk shrimp, green algea eating shrimp...all of em died off fairly quickly. I tried to keep like requirements, like the bee, cherry and algea eating shouldve been okay together...but the bee's were especially bad...I do better with the hardier stuff. x.x No more angelfish for mee.
well from my reading pea puffers need at LEAST a 5gallon and thats not nice to force something into a small tank.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
FishGirl38 said:
Ram require 10/20g minimum. One pea puffer is 5g.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A pea puffer is fine in the Fluval Spec 3. I have years of experience and I'm doing it successfully. Stay on top of water changes and plant heavily. The spec actually holds 3 gallons of water in my experience.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m just saying, but keeping a pea puffer in a 2.6 will be a problem even without bringing up the swimming space(the space may be ok for 1 pea puffer). They are notoriously messy which can easyily mess with the parameters and a small tank like that... well it’d be easy for soemthing to go wrong quickly.
Rams really need a 20 long, granted I have seen one person keep a breeding pair in a 10, but that’s also 7g more than a 2.6 as well as significantly more space. It *might be ok to keep it in there for a month(depending on its size, if it’s more than an inch I wouldn’t) with very frequent waterchanges, but no longer than that.
I strongly do not suggest doing either of these as it will likely result in a drastically shortened life span, but it’s your decision and I don’t think we’ll be able to help to much more since we’ve already given the acceptable inhabitants. Unless you want more info/ideas on how to do a tank with those inhabitants that is.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used to keep 3 Amanos and a Dwarf Mexican Crayfish in my Spec III, until I moved them and took the tank down. Before then, they all did very well, although the crayfish now appears “happier” in a larger tank.

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
An update: I still haven't decided what to put in there.

I'm not trying to be cruel so, I'm just going to wait until I find something that will work perfectly by itself in my mini tank. Maybe 2 of something if they're nano enough...idk. I'll find something eventually. I might just go with a betta if I find one that really catches my eye.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
If you really want fish, you can consider something like a pair of small killifish. They'd be fine in a tank that size.
I second this! There are very small killifish that do well in smaller aquariums

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I know they're out there...But they're hard to find, at least the really nice ones. We've stocked gardneri killies along with a few other really pretty species. So maybe I'll choose those when we get them in. If anyone thinks of ANYTHING, feel free to post it here if you remember it.

I was eager to get this tank going again...but I just recently spend $100 on having 20day old parakeet hatchlings splinted for splayed leg deformity....ik fish are alot less brash, but I really don't want to rush this tank out of fear that something will go wrong. Or get something that won't be cared for properly in a 2.6 gal. It's better to hold off and make sure I buy something that goes well with what I have.

I kind of regret buying this nano tank. I tried the shrimp out in it. and as a college student who worked/s way too many jobs, I can't take on the responsibility of trimming down a fast growing, heavily planted nano tank AND keep water conditions optimal for delicate shrimp. So that didn't work for me. and I do much better with larger species anyway. Community tanks don't tend to last long with me, my cichlids are going strong though. I really wanted it when I got it and now I'm feeling buyers regret. It's a great product don't get me wrong. The light on it is GREAT imo. But I don't think the nano thing was right for me, SO thankful I didn't try to take on salt-water with a pre-made nano, because I did think about it.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why don't community tanks work with you? Maybe they're stocked incorrectly?

Glad you're taking things slow! That's definitely a good decision.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom