Stocking 190 Litre Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lorraine.Kelly, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

Currently I have
    4 White Cloud Mountain minnows
    1 Common pleco-------gone to new home
    2 Honey Gouramis
    1 Siamese fighting fish
    I want peaceful fish but also colourful ones.
    How many other fish can I add?
    Which fish would co habit with what I have?
    Thanks for any advice

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

common plecos get too big so you will need to rehome.

3. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

Yes I know he will outgrow the tank, I’ve had him since he was a tiny fella.
    When he gets too big I will rehome him. He is fine at the moment

4. puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

he will get stunted so he wont grow too big...
    its cruel to keep him when you know that your tank is to small

5. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  6. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

No need to get all defensive.

He's right. That fish WILL stunt, and it WILL be painful. Just because your father did it doesn't make it right.

White Clouds are cold water, and aren't compatible with the other fish in your tank. They also need larger groups, preferably 6+.

Most of the time, gouramis and bettas won't do well together either.

7. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

When you ask for stocking ideas, except to see suggestions - regardless of current or proposed tank mates.

In saying all that, what are you looking for? If its to fill out the tank, I'd suggest swapping the pleco out for a bristlenose - common pleco except mini! - and a school of cories.

Id also reccomend swapping out the whiteclouds and doing a school of tetras. Some that come to mind are cardinals, as well as rummies, embers, green neons and black phantoms. Even rasboras - like lambchop or harlequins... If they not to taste, and looking for something a bit more uncommon I'd suggest pencilfish or some of the uncommon tetras- like reed tetras, or ornate or rosy tetras. Bloodfins would be another suggestion. Pristella would also work IMO.

Another fish I would suggest are kuhlies - in replacement of the cories - or whiptails - in place of the common pleco. So something like this:

4 honey gouramis (get a cute shoal happening)
    20 tetras/rasboras (I'd suggest one big school, but if you prefer you could do 8 of one species and 12 of another...)
    10 cories or kuhlies
    1 BN pleco/ whiptail

IMO, I would also consider setting up a seperate tank for the betta, they dont do well with gouramies and the mix is prone to having problems.

8. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

I’m not getting defensive sorry if it comes across that way.
    In the last few weeks perhaps even months I have been scouring the Internet, doing research. Looking at forums like this one, Aquarium club, Monsterfish, Plantedtank and so many more and the only thing that I can find that all of you have in common is that everyone of you have different opinions on what way people should do things.
    It’s all from personal experiences.
    Now I’m not saying it’s all wrong or all right. This is the research I have being doing.
    I have seen videos on YouTube stating plecos will destroy a planted tank, mine has been in a planted tank for months and not touched a plant.
    All the info on wcmm day they can live and thrive in cold water and also in warm water.
    My gouramis and betta have been getting on harmoniously almost oblivious to each others existence.
    If these animals were taken from the wild it would be something completely different.

Thanks for the info will definitely be looking into some of those
    I still have my 30 litre tank running and cycled incase if emergencies and a pond out the back if they get really naughty
    Honey gouramis are gorgeous the two I have are so relaxed and chilled out.

Image1524430849.044894.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  9. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

Sorry for being snappy with you the other day,I appreciate your feed back and will take it on board. I meant no disrespect. Its very hard to get a straight answer to any question, each question asked spawns ten more ha ha. It can be very frustrating.

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

11. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

So i have decided to rehome my Pleco after all:) He is going to his new home tomorrow:(
    What small growing voracious algae eaters are out there??

12. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Snails - like nerites - work well, or amano shrimp may be good options.... Have you thought of having a small L-number pleco, like bristlenoses, rubberlips or clown plecos.

13. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

I though about it but i want to keep the bioload down although my filter is more than capable, i might see if i can get some of those amano shrimp and see how they get on.
    Then i will look to getting some more fish to stock it with what i already have. I know my stock is questionable but its working fine so far. everyone seems happy

14. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

Hi
    I currently have
    4 wcmm
    2 Honey gouramis
    1 Betta
    The above tank mates are getting on no problems at all, two gouramis and betta share a cave, that’s how cosy they are.

My question is I want to get more fish this weekend, I want it to be a community tank of peaceful fish.

Any ideas how many more fish I can add and which ones?

Thinking of getting
    6 neon tetras
    6 cherry barbs
    maybe some harlequins and some guppies
    would this work??

I don’t know what else
    Any help would be gratefully accepted

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  15. InitiateWell Known MemberMember

Thw wcmm need to be rehomed they like cool water similar to goldfish while the other fish are very tropical. What size tank do you have?

16. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

Its 190litre its in the title of the thread
    Wcmm are also ok in tropical water, they are actually good tank mates for bettas and ive had them years these 4 are the last of a 13 strong school i have had for years so they aint going anywhere:)

I dont want ottos, maybe some amano shrimp instead

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  17. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Sadly, even though they might survive in warmer water, it'll shorten their lifespan.

18. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

I
    I’ve had them nearly five years! Lol their life span is five years so after June every day is a bonus for them.
    I haven’t done wrong by them at all.
    Plus the fact that they are listed as a tank mate for betta , I have had these longer than I’ve had my betta and they are all thriving.
    After having them so long I am not about to give them to a fish shop only for them to die a day later from shock or some sickness when they are perfectly ok where they are. When they pass on I will not be replacing them that’s why I only have 4

19. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I personally wouldn't do neons. They appreciate cooler waters in comparison to the betta and gourami.

Harlequins are a good choice. A school of 8 or so would look nice and add some visual interest and leave you some room ti stock the bottom layer (like cories, plecos and smaller loaches- kuhlies.

20. Lorraine.KellyValued MemberMember

Thanks I’m getting a bit of a handle on it now , I checked tank mates for both gouramis and betta and then took out the ones they had in common
    I got a good size list
    Loaches
    Neons
    Cherry barbs
    Corydoras
    Guppy
    Molly
    Rasbora
    Platy
    And danio
    I do like harlequins
    So based on the size of the tank what could I do with those except neons
    Need info on quantity’s

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice