Stocking 180 Gallon unplanted freshwater tank

Sillyfish

Hey there!

I’m new to the aquarium scene. I’m setting up an 180 gallon unplanted freshwater tank in the waiting area of my vet clinic. It will be viewable from front, back and one end. Wondering which type of fish get along together. Looking for ideas on number and species of fish to keep. Looking for fish that are low maintenance and hardy, hence the absence of live plants, as this is my first tank and my employees will be the ones mostly looking after the tank. Thanks in advance for your help.

redmare

This will be a very fun project! Maybe look into an oscar. I've heard they are actually so hardy and easy to keep as long as there's enough space for it, plus they are super personable and fun to watch. I think you could look at something like some silver dollars and a common pleco with it?

Donthemon

That’s a large tank! Put a bunch in rock formations and Mbuna cichlids. Colorful and lots of action.

redmare

Donthemon said:
That’s a large tank! Put a bunch in rock formations and Mbuna cichlids. Colorful and lots of action.
OOO yes a mbuna tank would be awesome. The general public seems to love cichlids!

Mike1995

Maybe a nice big piece of driftwood in the middle with a dark substrate.
For fish maybe a variety of rainbow fish would be cool in a big tank like that. Tons of different colors out there and super active. they school around all day long and fun to feed.

Koenig44

I would do a bunch of shoaling fish. Watching fish school is really fun to watch:

Neon Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, Porkchop Rasbora, Ember Tetra.

qldmick

I second the Malawi's but you can successfully keep peacocks and haps in their in a big tank too. Maybe some hardier plecos as well.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom