Stocking 150-175 gallon tank

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am stocking a tank that is around 150-175 gallons for a customer. It already has 1 angelfish and is about 4ish inches.

I was thinking 5 angels, some sort of rainbow fish school, some other schooling fish, 2 bristlenose plecos, nirite snails, I was also hoping for a tiretrack eel or something like that. The customer wants aggressive. I'm also thinking of planting it with amazons, java ferns, water wisteria, and crypts with driftwood and rocks.

I'm going to treat the tank with TSS. It's been along time since I've used it and forgot if I add every single fish the customer wants now or add fish slowly.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishingman001 said:
. The customer wants aggressive. .

If the customer wants an aggressive tank, they shouldn't keep angels in it.....in my opinion.....

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5 Angel fish is a recipe for disaster. 2 maximum otherwise those that pair up will get aggressive and possibly kill the others. That being said a pair of Angel fish will do fine with semi aggressive chiclids

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave75g said:
. That being said a pair of Angel fish will do fine with semi aggressive chiclids
Not if you want the angels fins to stay in tact....

I think it is a bit extreme to say no more than two angels in 150 or 175 gallons...that is a huge tank.....but I do agree that even in a huge tank, angels could get aggressive with each other. Even a pair of two can get aggressive with each other though....and they can get nasty! The only guarantee is to never keep more than one angel. And what fun is that in a 150-175 gallon tank?

But if we are talking about putting these angels in a tank with semi-aggressive cichlids...the owner should be prepared for having angels with raggedy fins.....because a majority of semi aggressive cichlids will end up hurting angelfish, or at the very least, damaging their fins.

I am not a fan of keeping angelfish with any other cichlids. But that's just me.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The customer said he likes aggressive but just wants a nice looking tank.

If I did 2 angels could I also do some schools of rainbows and other schools of smaller fish. Then the angels will be the centerpiece fish.

EDIT: I can also re-home the angelfish and start with an empty tank.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave75g said:
5 Angel fish is a recipe for disaster. 2 maximum otherwise those that pair up will get aggressive and possibly kill the others. That being said a pair of Angel fish will do fine with semi aggressive chiclids
Not necessarily. In this size tank 6 would be fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom