Stocking 15 Gallon

1. 8BitTofu Initiate Member

Planning on stocking a heavily planted, aquascape-heavy tank for my first tank. Tank is a 15 gallon (tall i think).

I want to put:

- 5 Red Cherry Shrimp (hopefully will develop into a colony)
    - 6 Otocinclus Catfish
    - _?_ Red-Belly X-Ray Tetras or Ember Tetras

I'd rather have the tank be understocked and have the main focus of the tank be the aquascape.

*I'm wondering if:
    1) Having 6 Otocinclus is too much for the tank.
    2) Should I add any tetras, or would it overstock?

Thanks for the help! :)

2. Daniel W Member Member

I don't understand. What do you want us to help you with? If you want help on the stocking, wait for a stocking master like Texas. I can't help you on stocking.

3. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Ember tetras are bitty things, you could do 8 to 10, maybe even 12 of them. The red belly X ray is similar to a Pristella, yes? Then I' d do 6.

Save the ottos until the tank is well established. They need stable water parameters and a good amount of biofilm built up to really thrive.

4. 8BitTofu Initiate Member

Hmm, alright thanks for the help!

And I got a tank from a friend of mine but it has only artificial plants. I'm planning on turning it into a planted one. Will wait for algae and other biofilm to develop before adding a shoal of otos! Thanks for the advice.

*(And yes, I am talking about the Pristella maxillaris)

5. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Glad to help. Ottos LOVE planted tanks. They will lounge on anything with a broad leaf and disappear as they graze on those that have thin blades, like grasses. They will still need to be fed frozen vegetables and algae wafers, but they really prefer the natural foods. You may want to start an algae farm, by putting small clay pots or shot glasses in a container of water, and then put the container in a sunny window. You trade them in and out so the ottos always have plenty to eat.

Thought so, but with comon names it pays to ask.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are the dimensions?

7. 8BitTofu Initiate Member

@maggie thecat - Wow, algae farms, never thought of that. I'm guessing I should use tank water for the farms?

@Anders247 - Not at home rn, but my friend said it was around 20 x 10 x 12.5 inches.

(Dunno if this is how you respond to two people at once)

8. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Used tank water is good. Dechlorinated tap water works too.

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

In that case, I would not get otos. This has a footprint of a 10g and otos need a 24 x 12 tank min.

10. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Ottos like to have many surfaces to graze and hang off of. A tank of those dimensions could be well planted and scaped, providing lots of useable surface area. My own experiments with increasing useable surface area have included using things like turtle docks and raising driftwood limbs on piers. Both of these have worked out well. In addition, as I suggested, using algae farmed pots will give ottos more biofilm to graze.