Stocking 15 Gallon Nano Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by SomeoneFISHy, Jan 25, 2019.

1. SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello everyone! The cycle is FINALLY done. 4 weeks.

My stock list is currently

2 True Percs or 2 Ocellaris Clowns
    1 Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse
    Your Choice of - Blenny, Goby, Firefish, Chalk or Harlequin Bass. If this is too much, I might not include
    Rose Bulb Anemone

1-2 Brittle Stars
    1-2 Emerald Crabs OR 2-3 Sexy Shrimp
    Lettuce Slug
    Conch Snails
    Various Hermits
    POSSIBLY - Urchin

Corals - Duncan, Button, Hammer, Bubble, Torch, Mushroom, Colt, Plate, Lord, Frogspawn, Candy Cane.

I am open to change, and to doing water changes more often.

2. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,157
    Experience:
    4 years
    What size/type of tank is this? I know its 15 gal, but whether you have an AIO, sump, ect, makes a big difference.

You're going tto be pretty maxed out with 2 clowns, and a wrasse, but I'd say you could squeeze a small fish in if A) you get a fuge, or B), you really stay on top of water changes. Don't do the bass. Either the firefish, blenny, or goby would work. I love burrowing gobies like YWG but they stay at their burrow 24/7. The blenny and firefish will be out, but will stay around the rockwork and not swim out in the open much.

The nem won't add enough bioload to change your fish stocking.

3. OP
    OP
    SomeoneFISHy

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    1 year
    @Culprit Thanks! I have a 3 media filter, with a protein skimmer and sump. What is an AIO, and a FUGE? I've never heard of them. How many Water Changes would I have to do? I am up for it. I do want to go for a blenny or goby.

4. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Experience:
    1 year
    AIO=All IN ONE Tank. It means it's a tank that was purchased as an all in one unit, usually including filter, a basic sump of some form, return pump, etc. FUGE=Short term for Refugium. Where you have things like copepods, macroalgae for bio-filtration, etc. that can be grown without being eaten/picked on by life in the display tank. As for water changes, I would say 3 gallons twice a week. If you have a small filter sock in your sump, you will probably want to change it every 3-4 days. The Bass are definitely out and the Blenny would pretty much be limited to something like the Tail Spot, which will require separate feeding requirements (they need lots of green in their diet). The easiest option is to go with a smaller goby. A Green Clown Goby or Court Jester/Rainsford Goby or Hector's Goby would be an interesting choice. I would recommend a Yellow Clown Goby but many report difficulty with getting them to feed. Personally I would pick any of them over a Firefish. My Purple Firefish was super timid and would hide in it's cave a lot and was the number 1 target of any assertive fish that I had in my tank.

5. OP
    OP
    SomeoneFISHy

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have an AIO tank, and a pretty good sump. no FUGE

Got the fish! I have 2 small Ocellaris Clowns, and 3 hermits. Going to a swap meet on the 2nd, so I will LOAD UP on inverts, corals, and the anemone. A big SHOCKER, am I right. Lol

6. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Experience:
    1 year
    How long has the tank been running? 'nems need generally well established tanks in order to do well (ie 6 months to a year).

7. OP
    OP
    SomeoneFISHy

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    1 year
    5 Weeks. I know that nems need a well established tank, but I want to add it first so it doesn't sting the corals. I did a 4 Week Cycle, if that means anything.

8. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Experience:
    1 year
    Adding it first will make no difference on whether or not it stings corals. They go where ever they please with or without corals in the tank. Personally I find 'nems to be more hassle than they are worth, but that's just me. Either way you need to wait several months before adding one. What kind of lighting do you have? They generally require very bright light to do well.

*EDIT* That 'nem can reach a foot in length. It simply isn't practical for your tank. A Condy BTA would be better suited in the long run:

9. SlimReefer

SlimReeferNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to saltwater aquariums. I have a 15 gallon nano tank and placed in live sand and live rock. I have a week doing the fishless cycle (introducing pure ammonia). Noticed that Nitrate are showing throughout this process. Is this normal? Is this because of the live sand and rock? Please help, kind of concerned.