Stocking 15 gallon ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishTankNewbie, Jul 12, 2015.

1. FishTankNewbie

FishTankNewbie New Member Member

Hello again!!!! Since everyone here is so helpful, I thought I would ask for some advice regarding my new 15 gallon freshwater planted aquarium. Me and my brother really want an awesome looking centrepiece fish - Not a dwarf gourami or a krib. We would like to know about butterfly fish and angelfish (preferably a larger fish although not restricted to such) and any other options. The other fish that will be in there are 2 amano shrimp and 6 guppies.
    Thank you in advance for all of your help!

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Angels are too big for a 15g. About the biggest I would go is a dwarf gourami personally, but they're super pretty and would still stand out as a centerpiece fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would not do an angelfish in anything less than 55 gallons. They can get up to 6" long and pretty tall as well.

Ugh I'm eating while typing so I got ninja'd
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

15 gallon tanks footprint can vary, 15 tall 20 X 10 inches vs a 15 standard 24 X 12 inches. Not enough room for a larger fish.

5. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

I would do a dwarf gourami with a school of 6 of any of the smaller tetras with 5 albino cories and a German Blue Ram. Add some vegetation and driftwood and the tank will look amazing after the plants have grown in!

6. Bijou88

^disagree. I wouldn't do any of those but the DG. Tetras will likely need more swimming room as will the cories. I would maybe add a couple more non schooling fish like additional guppies or platies and the DG and that's it personally. I'm not sure if the ram would work instead of the gourami or not, it may get too big.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The ram would be fine, they get only 1.5 inches, which is smaller than a DG.

8. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

However if you're getting live bearers be careful of not overrunning your tank with fry which can supersede the filtration capacity eventually.

9. Dom90

I would just let nature run its course and let the parents eat the fry in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I've had a GBR in the past that was 2.5".

11. Anders247

Really?
    Well, OP, what are the dimensions of the tank? If this is a high I'd say no, if it is a long which is 24 by 12 it'd be fine, imo.

12. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I do see mostly small rams, admittedly. But I remember coming across some "large" GBRs in the past. They were already that size when I bought them, they didn't grow to that size under my care. So I don't know what the likelihood of them getting that large are.

13. Bijou88

I always thought rams got up to 3". Hmmm.

14. Anders247

That's bolivians.

15. Bijou88

Aahhh, gotcha!

16. L

Lohpaul9 New Member Member

Hey you can always try celestial pearl danio, small and beautiful but suitable for small tanks

17. Dom90

Another one that would work are ember tetras or chili rasboras. Basically anything that works in a 10 gallon, 5 more gallons isnt much...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice