Stocking 130L

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zac1986, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Zac1986New MemberMember

I have had my 130L tank running about 4/5 months now and have, 8 cory's, 8 neon tetra, 4 gourami, 2 rainbows, 6 rummy nose tetra and an albino plec. My tank is roughly 800mm wide, 400/500mm deep and 600mm tall. Am I over stocked?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    I will say that yes this tank is overstocked. Some of these fish aren't compatible. Rainbow fish Are schooling fish which require Atleast 6+ of their own and need a larger tank. Preferably a 55 gallon minimum as they are very active swimmers. What kind of corycats, and tetras do you have? Some cories prefer lower temps or higher temps than others. Also what kind of gourami's do you have? Some get pretty big and can be aggressive .

3. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You should only have one gourami in a tank that size. They don't really like each other and may be aggressive and fight.

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    What type of pleco?
    What do you mean by rainbows? Rainbowfish, rainbow cichlid, or something else?
    As mentioned, most get too big for this size tank, and need a group of 6+.
    And same as what AB asked, what type of cories? And what type of gouramis?

5. Zac1986New MemberMember

Thanks for the feedback guys, pretty much what I thought and dreaded lol... Fish look happy and not lost any yet (touch wood) all happy and looking very vibrant and so much more colourful since adding them. The Gourami are happy no arguments at all luckily and unfortunately 4 was the recommended from the lps (2 male,2female) the rainbows don't leave each others side and seem happy but maybe your right and could appreciate a shoal etc... I am happy and thinking I will leave the tank as is and definitely not add anymore or do you think I should lower stock?.. All my readings are zero with 20 nitrate so tank seems settled... What are your thoughts? Worried after so much effort and research I've messed up? All feed back more than welcome. P.s even though prob over stocked tank and fish looks to have lots of free space imo and all fish seem happy and a few very well paired with same kind etc... Sorry for long post. Zac

6. Zac1986New MemberMember

Just to add I have boesmani rainbow, the city's are 4 x albino, 4 x pepper. The Gourami are neon blue dwarf Gourami x4. The pleco is an albino that should not grow to more than 10cm I am told?... The tetra are cardinal tetra x8. I hope this helps

7. SnyperToddValued MemberMember

I know members are going to have a cow because you have 4 each of 2 types of Corys, but I can assure you- fish can't count. If they're active, eating, and out doing their thing, they'll be fine. Just keep an eye on those gouramis and enjoy your tank!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hey like the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Or whatever floats your boat. If it were me, I'd do 2 of each tetra... That way I wouldn't want to have 5 tank's displaying all the different kinds... But that apparently goes against the status quo.

9. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The boesemanis need a bigger tank, a 55 gallon minimum.
    Not all tetras school together.... besides, not all tetras are temp compatible. There's many types, and they prefer their own species.

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea I kinda meant it as a joke and if there was no such thing as "schooling fish", hypothetically speaking.

11. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Oh, I see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice