Stocking 125 gallon tank

1. bolivianramzor Member Member

Whats up people. I have a stocking list that I have been working on for a while and I want some suggestions. I have used aqadvisor, but I am doubting its reliability and want a human opinion. So let me know what you think by saying either... overstocked, understocked, or perfectly stocked.

Also, please let me know about any compatibility issues if you have had a similar stocking.

The tank is going to be a normal 6ft 125 gallon, medium planted. Its going to be a beauty!!

Thanks for looking at this thread and giving your opinion!!

Here is the stocking list:

5x Boesemans Rainbowfish
    5x Turquoise Rainbowfish
    5x Salmon-red Rainbowfish
    5x Denisoni Barb
    1x Pearl Gourami
    2x Angelfish
    2x Bolivian Ram
    7x Gold laser corydoras
    3x Siamese Algae Eaters
    1x Gold Nugget Pleco

I designed this setup so that it is a very colorful tank. I also made it so that it is somewhat low maintenance. Let me know what you guys think!

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

:happy0034:
    I think that list looks GREAT!
    Your going to have a lot of different color along with activity on all 3 levels of the tank!

The only thing I recommend is replacing the 3x Siamese Algae Eaters with a small shoal of Oto's! Probably 6 or more, and if you can get them tank bred they have a lot better chances of survivability!
    The reason I think you should remove the Siamese Algae Eaters is they eventually turn semi-agressive as they turn to adults, and can get a nasty habit of attaching itself to your fish and eating their slime coat!

3. bolivianramzor Member Member

Awesome! Thanks for your input. The funny thing is that I had 5 otos and replaced them with the siamese algae eaters because I am battling hair algae in my 55 gallon right now. I think I will take your advice and switch the SAE with otos... I love those little guys.

4. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I'd get more cory, and more barbs. You have the room, and the more the better with each. I'd say no to the SAE too. They can be difficult to keep.

5. bolivianramzor Member Member

So you guys think Im understocked? Aqadvisor says I'm 130% capacity but I don't know if i should believe that. I would love to put more fish in there!

Ok, no SAE. I wasn't too excited about them so that was an easy fix.

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Try using your stock list but minus the SAE's. I'm sure it will drop pretty good without them on the list.

7. bolivianramzor Member Member

with 3 SAE the list on aqadvisor is 131%
    without the SAE and WITH 6 otocinclus its 124%

I think I am going to go with that and break up the aquarium so that everyone has their own territory and place to hide.

If all goes well, I might add 1 or 2 more cory's. Barbs are expensive but I might add one more of them too if after a while I don't have any problems.

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Sounds great! Aqadvisor like you said is more of a generalized idea of stocking and likes to play on the safe side. In a tank that big you should have no problem with any of this list. Also make sure your tank is well established before adding Oto's and you accumulate them well, they are sensitive fish!

Hope all goes well!

9. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

that is the Chinese algae eater. True Siamese algae eaters mostly eat brush algae like BBA and staghorn

Stocking list looks good but IMO i would add more cory cats! they are much more entertaining to watch in large groups