Stocking 10 Gallon Okay?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Leafydragon, Jun 25, 2019.

1. LeafydragonNew MemberMember

I’ve been researching on fish ideas for a bit and checked out my favorite idea on aqadvisor. I heard that it can sometimes be off and I wanted to run the idea by anyone who could answer. I want to do a female Betta, three African dwarf frogs and two mystery snails in a (not heavily planted but enough for everyone to be able to hide) planted 10 gallon tank. Aqadvisor says it’s only 67% stocked and I should do a 16% water change every week. Does this sound accurate? I want to make sure I know everything before I get too excited about my tank.

2. LeafydragonNew MemberMember

Is anyone also had some recommendations for what type of filter to use that would be great!

3. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't do bettas with ADF. The betta might outcompete the frogs for food.

4. LeafydragonNew MemberMember

I planned on watching during feeding time to make sure everyone got to eat, I heard that African dwarf frogs won’t find their food unless it is right in front of them anyway so it’s better to individually feed them. Would that work?

5. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

They might get scared, but might get used to it in the future. I recommend that you do a species only tank with ADF.

6. BrendenValued MemberMember

From what I've learned, if you put territorial fish like Bettas with them, they likely will be stressed and it won't work all too well. The Betta will often eat the ADF's food, even if you monitor it. If the Betta eats it's food, and you just keep putting more food in hoping eventually some falls down to the frogs, you could be over-feeding the Betta in the process.

I wanted to try this too, but many fish experts warned me against it. It's one of those things where "it HAS worked, but more often than not it doesn't".

Also, ADF are nocturnal, and they sing at night. Some people don't mind it, but if you're the kind of person that needs absolute silence at night, I'd advise against them. That is what ultimately made me not get an ADF.

7. AugustVNew MemberMember

I have this problem in my tank. I have guppies and corydoras and otos. My guppies out compete for food every time. I've seen them go right up to my corys and snatch worms right from their mouths and swim off. Little buggers. Kinda ticks me off a little. Betas are good predators and can and will do the same thing.