Stocking 10 Gallon - Need Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nikki73, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Nikki73New MemberMember

I just purchased a 10 gallon tank with an adjustable heater. I was wondering if this is big enough to keep some tetras along with my beta and a snail.

Currently they are recovering from ich but I am planning to set up my new tank this weekend. Can anyone tell me if this tank is big enough?

2. jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Nope. Sorry. Most tetra species (and schooling fish) need at least 20 long, especially with having a betta in there. I am also assuming male betta

3. JeffKWell Known MemberMember

You could keep some of the nano-type fish in a 10 gallon, but I wouldn't recommend keeping a betta in there with them. Personally, I'd either get a tank divider and put a betta on each side, or house your betta in a different tank and stock your 10 gallon with something like 6-8x ember tetras (since you mentioned tetras).

4. Nikki73New MemberMember

Thank for your opinion. I will move my beta to his 10 gallon tank along with his snail. I only have 3 tetras (got some bad advice from the pet store on this one). Do you know what kind of fish my beta can live with in a 10 gallon tank?

Thank you will keep this in mind

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  5. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

No, 20 gallons is the minimum recommended for keeping bettas with other fish.

What type of tetras do you have now?

6. Nikki73New MemberMember

I have 3 neon tetras. I will not add anymore fish to the tank. I think I will leave the tetras in my current tank and just move my beta Jin to his 10 gallon with my mystery snail. I currently have only 3 tetras left out of 5 as they were sick with ich (but are doing great) I will have to keep them in my 5.5 gallon that is all I can do right now.

7. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Neon tetras need cooler water than bettas and need 20 gallons minimum.

For now could you move the betta to the 5.5 gallon and put the neons and snail in the 10 gallon?

8. Nikki73New MemberMember

I could absolutely do that and thank you.

9. sylviepldValued MemberMember

I agree that if you didn't have the Betta you might be able to do a small school of Neons or Glo-Danios (5-7 fish). I have a 10 gallon with 7 Glo-Danios and 2 Pepper Corys (the Corys are small and don't get big). I check my water parameters weekly and everything is fine. I have an AquaClear 20 HOB filter. The water conditions for the Betta don't agree with what is needed for tetras or danios.

10. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

11. jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Aww, betta has a pet snail! :). Hehe. 10 gallons isn't really enough for schooling fish. Too small of space (which sucks cuz my betta also has a 10 gallon). Yeah if you can get a bigger tank, up that school to 6 and they will be happy.

12. Nikki73New MemberMember

lol. I wont be adding anymore fish with my beta only his snail. In the future, If I decide to purchase a bigger tank (20 gallon) I will consider tetras or some other schooling fish. thanks jenmur:)

definitely keep this in mind. thanks for the link!

;)

This is why I joined this community. I appreciate all advice and opinions...I just wish I would of came here and asked for help first but glad I did now thank you

13. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Neons need to go into a cycled tank. Well all fish do really, but Neons especially.

14. jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Your betta will be happy :). And we all want happy fish! If you are able to get a bigger tank good luck choosing a schooling fish!! I had a horrible time deciding what to put in my 55 gallon. Welcome :)

15. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

The general rule is the smaller the aquatic life form... the more susceptible to ammonia it is. Not always but most often.

16. Nikki73New MemberMember

I always appreciate any all information; there is so much info out there it can be confusing. Thank you kindly

Too cute. Ill remember that one!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice