Stocking 10 Gallon Hex Tank

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a fully cycled 10 gallon hex tank. I have decided to steer away from shrimp, and am wondering what to put in it. I was looking at the 5 gallon stocking suggestions since the footprint on the tank is more comparable to a 5 gallon. I may end up getting another betta since they're just so darn pretty, but i also really like dwarf crays. I am thinking one or two dwarf crays and a school of small fish. I am headed off to the LFS now to see what nano fish they have. I won't be buying any fish today, but want to scope out what they have in stock so i can do a little research.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

MightyT

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I had that tank, I would aqua scape and put shrimp. However if you're going to get fish, get something tiny, like a neon tetra. Remember the rule of thumb, 1 gallon per inch.

Remember, dwarf crays can grow up to 1.5 inches

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I had that tank, I would aqua scape and put shrimp. However if you're going to get fish, get something tiny, like a neon tetra. Remember the rule of thumb, 1 gallon per inch.
I had a planaria outbreak that killed off my shrimp colony. I'm kinda beat on shrimp at the moment. I've spent too much time being stressed over them.

The inch per gallon rule really isn't great, especially for a tank this shape. Yes, it's ten gallons, but it has such a small footprint compared to a standard ten gallon. That's why i am looking into fish that will do okay in a five gallon tank. There's not much horizontal swimming space.

MightyT

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe 5 or less fancy guppies. Be careful about dwarf crays I talked to a guy that had 8 and they all killed each other. They also have a chance of teaming up on small/sick fish if the fish goes near the bottom.

African Dwarf frogs are also a fun alternative to the crays.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
African Dwarf frogs are also a fun alternative to the crays.
I’ve thought about frogs. Don’t they need shallow tanks? I remember that from when i was looking into them awhile ago.

MightyT

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think this species does. A warning though, African Dwarf Frogs are VERY hard to feed. You will probably need a feeding wand or something.

They need sinking foods but don't scavenge for it (and they have horrible eyesight).

Oh yeah, and they sing/croak. This is quite entertaining to hear, actually. It has a quiet, but unique sound.

Make sure the females outnumber the male, however. Females can get exhausted by the males and don't have the strength to get air. And they sing more if they have more ladies. The frog in my profile pic was fed with a skewer.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, i don’t want anything that is that difficult to feed. My tank is also right next to my bed so i’m not keen on this singing thing.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Male endlers would work well. (Related to fancy guppies as @MightyT suggested.) They're all over the tank and don't need a lot of swimming length/long footprint. They're also okay with dwarf shrimp in case you want to try them again down the road.

I like them because they're colorful, active, and not shy. Unlike my ember tetras who hide half the time when they see me, the endlers always rush over to me when I approach the tank.

Endlers or guppies, just stick with males. They can quickly overstock a 10g if you have both genders.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Male endlers would work well. (Related to fancy guppies as @MightyT suggested.) They're all over the tank and don't need a lot of swimming length/long footprint. They're also okay with dwarf shrimp in case you want to try them again down the road.

I like them because they're colorful, active, and not shy. Unlike my ember tetras who hide half the time when they see me, the endlers always rush over to me when I approach the tank.

Endlers or guppies, just stick with males. They can quickly overstock a 10g if you have both genders.
They had Endler’s at my LFS! Pretty cute. They had orange ones and green ones. I don’t want guppies, but i may go for Endler’s. I didn’t see any other nano fish there today. I remember seeing Ember Tetras and some other tiny fish last time.

They did have some gorgeous bettas though. It’s hard to choose.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom